4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

? about oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

? about oil

I'm thinking about buying a 96 maxima SE. The only problem is that the car has 98K on it. Now i've heard rumours that the engine lasts till about 250K! and i don't doubt it. Now, I've also heard that it isn't ok to use fully synthetic oil i.e. mobil 1 in an engine if it has been using regular oil for more that 60K. Now my question is, can i use mobil 1 synthetic oil in a maxima engine if it has been using regular oil for more than 60K without any drawbacks?
Old 07-01-2002, 06:51 AM
Banned

Whatever you do don't tell my engine what you just said because thats exactly what I did 6 months ago.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:21 AM
rmb

Re: ? about oil

Originally posted by jmatozzo
I'm thinking about buying a 96 maxima SE. The only problem is that the car has 98K on it. Now i've heard rumours that the engine lasts till about 250K! and i don't doubt it. Now, I've also heard that it isn't ok to use fully synthetic oil i.e. mobil 1 in an engine if it has been using regular oil for more that 60K. Now my question is, can i use mobil 1 synthetic oil in a maxima engine if it has been using regular oil for more than 60K without any drawbacks?
Let's dispel a few myths:

You can start using synthetic at any time. You can use synthetic in a BRAND NEW ENGINE. You do NOT have to let the engine "break in" with normal oil first. You can run synthetic in an OLD ENGINE. You can mix synth and regular if you were so inclined (although that would be a waste).

Synthetic does not "shrink seals", it is not "thinner", it does not damage or compromise any part of any engine in any way.

It does cost more. A LOT more. If it's worth it to you then use it. If you drive normally and change your oil every 3k then I think that it's overkill to run synth. But it's your $$$$.

-RMB
Old 07-01-2002, 08:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Converted 1997 SE with 120,000 miles about a year ago. Used AMSOIL Engine Oil Flush prior to swich to AMSOIL 0W-30 Full Synthetic. No leaks or oil burning problems, engine runs very quietly. Also converted 1996 Civic with 100k, 1997 I30 50k, 2000 Altima GLE and 1998 Civic EX Coupe 40k the same way as Maxima, none of them have oil leaks or oil burning problems. FYI running NGK Laser Platinum Plugs in these 5 cars and NGK Iridiums in one car (1989 Celica). The Celica was not converted to Synthetics because it had 225k on it. It runs great, no oil leaks, burns no oil and is driven daily. Only oil used in car is Pennzoil 5W-30. Personally changed oil and filter every 3,000 miles (wow I changed oil and filter on it 75 times!). Plan to submit oil analysis on all cars using AMSOIL 0W-30.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-01-2002, 08:12 AM

The others are right, the old myths still prevail. Many people switch over to synthetics with higher mileage than you with no problems. If the car has been maintained well, you shouldn't have an an issue.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same issue, should i start using Mobil Synth with 60,000 miles? Do what I did and call Mobil and ask them. I don't have the phone number but I think it's on the back of their containers or you get it from their web site.

They told me that as long as the engine is healthy ie: dosen't leak or burn oil and mechanically sound otherwise then it would be ok to use synthetic.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:40 PM

I bought my '95 GLE with 65,000 and switched to Amsoil the next weekend. I now have 110,000 miles and have had no problems at all. I did the last oil change in febuary and I still haven't lost a drop.

I installed a CAI about two months ago and am almost ready to install a Y and B-pipe. I'm not worried about the engine at all (except for timing chain tensioners) but the tranny is probably going to have issues. Thats when I will do the 5-speed swap. No problem...
Old 07-01-2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by exhip95
I bought my '95 GLE with 65,000 and switched to Amsoil the next weekend. I now have 110,000 miles and have had no problems at all. I did the last oil change in febuary and I still haven't lost a drop.

I installed a CAI about two months ago and am almost ready to install a Y and B-pipe. I'm not worried about the engine at all (except for timing chain tensioners) but the tranny is probably going to have issues. Thats when I will do the 5-speed swap. No problem...
Just finished step 1 in a 4 step flush / conversion to Amsoil ATF. So far I been amazed by how much quieter and smoother the tranny is. Since you are already using the AMSOIL Engine oil you might consider their ATF. I am not easily impressed and am very analytical but the changes achieved by replacing only 5 qts of ATF is almost unbeeelievable!!! No, I don't own AMSOIL stock and I am not a dealer.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-01-2002, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by karguy

Just finished step 1 in a 4 step flush / conversion to Amsoil ATF. So far I been amazed by how much quieter and smoother the tranny is. Since you are already using the AMSOIL Engine oil you might consider their ATF. I am not easily impressed and am very analytical but the changes achieved by replacing only 5 qts of ATF is almost unbeeelievable!!! No, I don't own AMSOIL stock and I am not a dealer.
Be well!!!!
I love comments like this, makes things easier on me when others back up what I'm trying to say.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:39 PM

Be well!!!!
Hey karguy, how many miles u got on the tranny. i'm thinking about doing same thing but am worried about leakage. I know there's no prblem w. changing engine oil to syn. but what about ATF. I've read a couple of threads on this site that say not to change if miles are hihg on ATF.(myth??) My car has 120k no leaks on tranny or engine.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by ripper7

Hey karguy, how many miles u got on the tranny. i'm thinking about doing same thing but am worried about leakage. I know there's no prblem w. changing engine oil to syn. but what about ATF. I've read a couple of threads on this site that say not to change if miles are hihg on ATF.(myth??) My car has 120k no leaks on tranny or engine.
There are 52,000 on my car. I have converted a 97 SE to Amsoil 0W-30 at 120,000 miles a little over 10 months ago. Engine is very quiet and smooth, no leaks or oil burning problems. Used AMSOIL Engine Flush prior to installing synthetic oil, it costs less than $5.00. Will probably swich it to AMSOIL Synthetic ATF as well.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 04:19 AM

Be well!!!!
I have never changed trans fluid in any car but I have been giving serious thought to adding a trans cooler so that would be the perfect time...