4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Independent Fog Light Rewire Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 10:07 PM

Independent Fog Light Rewire Question...

I did an exhaustive search and I came to the conclusion that the wire spliced from the fog light relay can be connected to the wiper relay in order to power the fog lights independently (without park lights or headlights on), is this true? If so, I have a 97 and was wondering since I dont have a voltage meter, does anyone know which wire exactly (color?) it is that I can use from the wiper relay to connect the new wire? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:29 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Independent Fog Light Rewire Question...

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
I did an exhaustive search and I came to the conclusion that the wire spliced from the fog light relay can be connected to the wiper relay in order to power the fog lights independently (without park lights or headlights on), is this true? If so, I have a 97 and was wondering since I dont have a voltage meter, does anyone know which wire exactly (color?) it is that I can use from the wiper relay to connect the new wire? Thanks.
\

I don't get it... if you splice it to the wiper relays rather than the corners... then all you get is ure fogs turning on when u have ure wiper on

Well if you want it independent, you need to have your own external switch and i recommend you splice the wire directly to a battery and in between have a switch (u can put it on ure dash somewhere) and a fuse.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:37 PM

Re: Re: Independent Fog Light Rewire Question...

Originally posted by nadir_s
\

I don't get it... if you splice it to the wiper relays rather than the corners... then all you get is ure fogs turning on when u have ure wiper on

Well if you want it independent, you need to have your own external switch and i recommend you splice the wire directly to a battery and in between have a switch (u can put it on ure dash somewhere) and a fuse.
No, you know how you can only use your wipers when the car is on? Well, I want to splice the fog light relay wire to that wire so that when I turn the car off, the fog lights will turn off even though my switch is in the ON position. The wipers gain a constant power source to the battery only when the car is on even though the wiper switch is in the off position. It has been done before, but I'm looking for someone who has done it and can remember or which wire it is.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:42 PM

Actually I should go ahead and delete this post soon since I have just finished the rewiring. I rewired the the new wire to the orange wire going to the wiper relay. I didn't have a voltage meter but I figured I just need to know which is positive and which is negative and what powers on when the car is on so I just used a spare 194 sidemarker bulb laying around and found out which wire it was (orange one in the middle of the relay) by finding out which ones are needed to light the bulb. I have a pic up on my homepage. I guess it was too late in the evening for anyone to reply.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...7_122_full.jpg
Old 07-03-2002, 05:47 AM
Sin

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Actually I should go ahead and delete this post soon since I have just finished the rewiring. I rewired the the new wire to the orange wire going to the wiper relay. I didn't have a voltage meter but I figured I just need to know which is positive and which is negative and what powers on when the car is on so I just used a spare 194 sidemarker bulb laying around and found out which wire it was (orange one in the middle of the relay) by finding out which ones are needed to light the bulb. I have a pic up on my homepage. I guess it was too late in the evening for anyone to reply.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...7_121_full.jpg
It looks good! Would you mind posting the rewiring? I did a similar rewire on my Volvo 850 Turbo a couple years ago.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:22 PM

Hey Benblanco, could you please post how you do this, ive been lookin for this for a while... havent come up with squat..... or even pics of it finally done, something so i can gauge how to do it....