4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question about suspension work I just got done

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

question about suspension work I just got done

I just bought new Koni adjustable front sport struts and Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs from Tire Rack. I had purchased the rear Konis a few months before and they were already installed. The original estimate for work I got was for about $350 for installation of the front struts, new springs all around, and alignment. This didn't seem too bad so I go the work done. Later that day I get a call from the mechanic that its going to take alot more work then he originally thought and it would cost about $200 more for the labor. Reluctantly I agreed because I had remembered that there was a disclaimer on the Tire Rack website about the front Konis....something about how they require extra work to remove the old strut cartridge, etc. Has anyone had any of these parts installed before and how much did it cost? Did I get ripped off? Help!
Old 07-04-2002, 05:27 PM
rmb

Re: question about suspension work I just got done

Originally posted by tmkforever
I just bought new Koni adjustable front sport struts and Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs from Tire Rack. I had purchased the rear Konis a few months before and they were already installed. The original estimate for work I got was for about $350 for installation of the front struts, new springs all around, and alignment. This didn't seem too bad so I go the work done. Later that day I get a call from the mechanic that its going to take alot more work then he originally thought and it would cost about $200 more for the labor. Reluctantly I agreed because I had remembered that there was a disclaimer on the Tire Rack website about the front Konis....something about how they require extra work to remove the old strut cartridge, etc. Has anyone had any of these parts installed before and how much did it cost? Did I get ripped off? Help!
Yeah, the Koni install sucks.... You actually have to cut apart the old strut body. That's a good reason everyone is going with KYB AGX's....

If you ask me, the extra $200 that the guy wants seems more than fair since this job just sucks...

Take a look at this....

http://www.performanceix.com/how-to/...print_koni.php
Old 07-04-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: question about suspension work I just got done

I installed front Koni strut inserts myself, I can say it was easy to do job. All you have to do is cut the top portion of OEM struts with tube cutter and drill hole in the bottom, and you are done.
Did you get ripped off? I would say yes!
Old 07-04-2002, 05:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: question about suspension work I just got done

Originally posted by MAX95RUS
I installed front Koni strut inserts myself, I can say it was easy to do job. All you have to do is cut the top portion of OEM struts with tube cutter and drill hole in the bottom, and you are done.
Did you get ripped off? I would say yes!
I agree. It is an easy install. All shops carry exhaust pipe cutters that will cut the struts. Drilling is cake. There is not much to it after that. Certainly not worth $200 more. I'd say $100 additional tops! To me, that is already built into his initial quote since changing springs is usually $250 or less. It is even easier with lowering springs since you only have to use spring compressors to get the OEM springs off--not when you are putting the Eibachs or other on. So $550 for the install!?!?!
Old 07-05-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: question about suspension work I just got done

just had H&R springs along with KYB's installed today with alignment. It cost me $220. not too bad i guess....? $550 seems like alot. I guess I lucked out. I was wondering if the shocks and springs need time to settle in. they seem to have diff gaps between wheel wells. maybe the road surface? Also i have 215/55 R16 in fr. and 225/55 R16 in back. Is that OK? or should it be same all around? any advice? Thanks
Old 07-06-2002, 08:51 AM

Re: Re: question about suspension work I just got done

Originally posted by rmb

Yeah, the Koni install sucks.... You actually have to cut apart the old strut body. That's a good reason everyone is going with KYB AGX's....

If you ask me, the extra $200 that the guy wants seems more than fair since this job just sucks...

Take a look at this....

http://www.performanceix.com/how-to/...print_koni.php
That does look like a lot of work, but I'm confused why everyone else got their work done for so much cheaper. Where does everyone else live? Maybe labor is cheap around you? Oh well.

-Jon
Old 07-06-2002, 09:05 AM

wow man...total hose job. i feel bad for u. i would report that guy to the better business bureau cause that is ridiculous price.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by tmkforever

That does look like a lot of work, but I'm confused why everyone else got their work done for so much cheaper. Where does everyone else live? Maybe labor is cheap around you? Oh well.

-Jon
It takes at most an additional 45 minutes for your avg joe. As a professional, his time would be similar simply because this procedure isn't routine. Basically you needed to have this done, your car was in his possession and he may or may not have already started the install--essentually you were held captive and the likelihood that you would refuse the extra $$$ and go elsewhere was slim for them.

I don't know of any shop that charges $200 for an extra 30-45 minutes. Labor changes usually range from $50-70 per hour.

I wouldn't sweat it though. You live and you learn...
Old 07-06-2002, 09:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: question about suspension work I just got done

Originally posted by Mishmosh

It takes at most an additional 45 minutes for your avg joe. As a professional, his time would be similar simply because this procedure isn't routine. Basically you needed to have this done, your car was in his possession and he may or may not have already started the install--essentually you were held captive and the likelihood that you would refuse the extra $$$ and go elsewhere was slim for them.

I don't know of any shop that charges $200 for an extra 30-45 minutes. Labor changes usually range from $50-70 per hour.

I wouldn't sweat it though. You live and you learn...

The invoice claimed that it took them 5 hours for the entire front strut and spring install, so that's why it was so much more expensive. Yeah, whatever, its only money anyway, right?