4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Slave Cylinder Problems - (already used search engine)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002 | 11:42 PM

Clutch Slave Cylinder Problems - (already used search engine)

- Okay, my clutch slave cylinder failed at 3am on July 5th. Fun stuff, huh? I had the car towed in to the dealer and they replaced the slave cylinder. I picked the car up after they had already closed and it did NOT feel normal.
- First off, the clutch pedal feels like it has no resistance for the first 85% of its travel, then it feels fine for the last part. It is very difficult to get the car into gear from a stop, although it was a bit easier when moving. I immediately drove the car home and checked around under the hood. The reservoir was well above the "max" line and did not leak anything after repeated pumping... However, the dealer either forgot to wipe off the old cluth fluid that had spilled, or something is still leaking down there.
- Does anyone know what the hell is going on? Can this be fixed by a simple clutch pedal adjustment, or am I looking at other damage? There was no fluid in the cabin, so I am assuming that the clutch master cylinder is okay.

- If anyone can help me out here, I would REALLY appreciate it. I just want my car back to normal. Sigh...

Matt
Old 07-06-2002 | 12:01 AM

You probably got air in the cylinder. I had to use a MityVac in order to suck the air out. It sorta got trapped in there and didnt come out by bleeding.
Old 07-06-2002 | 06:50 AM

Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Problems - (already used search engine)

Originally posted by SleeperSE
- Okay, my clutch slave cylinder failed at 3am on July 5th. Fun stuff, huh? I had the car towed in to the dealer and they replaced the slave cylinder. I picked the car up after they had already closed and it did NOT feel normal.
- First off, the clutch pedal feels like it has no resistance for the first 85% of its travel, then it feels fine for the last part. It is very difficult to get the car into gear from a stop, although it was a bit easier when moving. I immediately drove the car home and checked around under the hood. The reservoir was well above the "max" line and did not leak anything after repeated pumping... However, the dealer either forgot to wipe off the old cluth fluid that had spilled, or something is still leaking down there.
- Does anyone know what the hell is going on? Can this be fixed by a simple clutch pedal adjustment, or am I looking at other damage? There was no fluid in the cabin, so I am assuming that the clutch master cylinder is okay.

- If anyone can help me out here, I would REALLY appreciate it. I just want my car back to normal. Sigh...

Have a look at my web site, www.motorvate.ca click on TRANSMISSION, and then BLEEDINg the clutch.

This is a little tricky to get ALL the air out, but with a little time and patience, you will get your clutch back.

Good Luck

Matt
Old 07-06-2002 | 08:49 AM

- Hey guys, thanks for your input. I slept on it and feel a whole lot better now. I agree that the system probably has air in it (despite the fact that I reminded the frickin' dealer to bleed the system - they're so f-ing lazy!)
- I'm on my way out to go bleed it. I'll write back with an update.

- Does anyone know if the Maxima has a self-adjusting clutch?

Matt