4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP Cant get access to the ECU!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 01:02 PM

HELP Cant get access to the ECU!!

I read the stickie on how to pull codes from the ECU and it said that the plastic panel covering the ECU has (2) flat head screw type clips. I went and tried to remove it but my 95SE has clips with a smooth head (no screw head). I tried till I got pi$$ed off but that B!tch wont come off. I didnt wanna force it and break the damn clips. Does anyone kno how to take those two clips out?
Thanks in advance
Nas
Old 07-08-2002, 01:09 PM

Re: HELP Cant get access to the ECU!!

Originally posted by nizmo
I read the stickie on how to pull codes from the ECU and it said that the plastic panel covering the ECU has (2) flat head screw type clips. I went and tried to remove it but my 95SE has clips with a smooth head (no screw head). I tried till I got pi$$ed off but that B!tch wont come off. I didnt wanna force it and break the damn clips. Does anyone kno how to take those two clips out?
Thanks in advance
Nas

Haha, I went through the exact same thing, I was scared of breaking the clips....but you just gotta tug on it real quick, and it will pop out. I lost one of my clips, but have the other, and it stays on the just fine....

Just give it a good tug STRAIGHT out, and there shouldnt be any problem...
Old 07-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem with my 97. I'd like to know what these people and repair manuals also are looking at. There isn't any slot and it isn't threaded either but it is ribbed.

I used a pair of end cutters to get under the head and pull it out. If you grip the head with two small plyers and pull, that may work.
But I have read that people just grip the black plastic panel and pull that off. I'd try this approach first. You will not break the ECU or the black panel.

I put mine back on with velcro.
Old 07-08-2002, 01:20 PM

cool, thanx guys