5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Amber bulb inside the 2K headlight housing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 07:30 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Amber bulb inside the 2K headlight housing question

Has anyone changed that amber bulb in the corner of the headlight on 2Ks? Is this illegal? Not the side markers, but the bulb IN the corner of the actual headlight. Is it a bulb or a lens?

And don't tell me to search because I don't know what that damn bulb is called. If you tell me to search, I will snap. I am an extremely violent person and I don't want to have to kill someone tonight. Thank you.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:24 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Amber bulb inside the 2K headlight housing question

Originally posted by asu174
Has anyone changed that amber bulb in the corner of the headlight on 2Ks? Is this illegal? Not the side markers, but the bulb IN the corner of the actual headlight. Is it a bulb or a lens?

And don't tell me to search because I don't know what that damn bulb is called. If you tell me to search, I will snap. I am an extremely violent person and I don't want to have to kill someone tonight. Thank you.
I have mine changed, and yes it is illegal, atleast i think (what isnt on my car) it looks alot better the stock ones, the only problem is that the turn signals are extremly bright, like camera flash. my friends get mad when i lock the doors when they are facing my car, kinda funny. and yeah its a bulb that takes like 2sec to change each.

Old 07-17-2002, 08:45 PM
lcf

changed to a different color? or... brighter amber?

i want to change those bulbs into the silver visions or something... or just HIDs altogether.

Old 07-17-2002, 09:22 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i changed mine to polargs.. and i'm pretty sure they are illegal. I also did a slight modifications in the how-to section so that they only light up when I turn on the signal light.. that way it is not too darn bright to attract cops.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:13 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

SEARCH .. **** ! .. Come kill me. Im in San Diego !
Old 07-17-2002, 10:52 PM

I heard as long as the color is white or orange it's fine...
Old 07-18-2002, 01:29 AM
The Definitive AE Master

whether or not they are illegal or not... my polargs are really bright, like camera flashes... so that is why i didn't the stealth running lights.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:08 AM

Check www.autolamps-online.com They have the Audi-style bulb that looks silver when not lit up, but blinks yellow...nice

They are legal.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by max34
Check www.autolamps-online.com They have the Audi-style bulb that looks silver when not lit up, but blinks yellow...nice

They are legal.
Man, those are freakin sweet bulbs. A bit pricey but the shipping is free. Just ordered mine. By the way, switching out these bulbs took me literally 30 seconds. Just turn the back of the housing, pull out, switch bulbs, plug back in. Also, I tapped over one of the nubs on my original bulbs so they only flash when the blinker is on. Such a difference.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:08 AM

Found it.

STEALTH Running Lamps(FREE Mod)
Eliminates the AMBER running lamp filament on the 1157 bulb used for a 2K-2K1 headlamp, but still uses the blinker filament. This mod makes the headlamps only produce white light until the blinker is activated, which looks better in my opinion especially with clear front corners.

1)Remove the bulb/socket from the headlamp housing.
2)Remove the bulb from the socket.
3)Place SMALL piece of black electrical tape over ONE "knub"(small contact on bottom of bulb).
4)Reinstall bulb into the socket.
5)Turn on hazards(or blinker with keys in ignition). If it flashes reinstall bulb/socket into the headlamp housing, if not, remove bulb from the socket and move the electrical tape to the other "knub".
Old 07-18-2002, 02:27 PM

Bought and installed the Toucan 1157. They are very sharp, but they have a slight yellow tint. The weird thing is that the headlamps and fogs are also Toucans and NONE of them match. Weird.....
Old 07-18-2002, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Legal Man to the rescue....

My comments only refer to the FMVSS Title 109 which is the recommended Federal law which applies to these questions. Each state is empowered to write their own version. States like Texas and Washington have directly adopted Title 109, but states like California wrote their own and it differs in some places.

The front turn signals may be either white or amber. You can replace the amber light in your 2K-2K1 headlight housing with a white bulb, or a brighter amber bulb provided it meets SAE color requirements (bulb will be labeled as such usually). Much like the 2K2 headlights, there is no requirement for a forward facing amber light on your car. The so called, front facing, 'parking lights' are not required on either car. They are white on the 2K2-2K3 and amber on the 2K-2K1.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:31 PM
rilla dope

Those silver vision lamps look really nice! I wonder if they are seriously silver or just close to it. 23 bones isn't a bad price, I'll probably try it out if I don't get the HIDs
Old 07-18-2002, 04:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can we use the LED's that are clear and then blink amber? What size would they be if they are LED's?
Old 07-19-2002, 12:02 AM
2K1HoMax

Bought and installed the Toucan 1157. They are very sharp, but they have a slight yellow tint. The weird thing is that the headlamps and fogs are also Toucans and NONE of them match. Weird.....
i kinda have that matchin problem, my running lights/turn signals and the fogs match perfectly, but the headlights have a more blue shade to them, they match the clear side markers with the polarg bulbs in them. the polarg bulbs are also the ones in my turn signals, and the they dont match the side markers and headlight, but its the same brand is whats confusing me.....

Old 07-19-2002, 12:22 AM
I miss the .org!

Originally posted by releasedtruth
Those silver vision lamps look really nice! I wonder if they are seriously silver or just close to it. 23 bones isn't a bad price, I'll probably try it out if I don't get the HIDs
Would't just spraying the stock bulb with some good high-temp paint accomplish the same thing? So I've heard...
Old 07-19-2002, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

i kinda have that matchin problem, my running lights/turn signals and the fogs match perfectly, but the headlights have a more blue shade to them, they match the clear side markers with the polarg bulbs in them. the polarg bulbs are also the ones in my turn signals, and the they dont match the side markers and headlight, but its the same brand is whats confusing me.....
I have Polargs in my front turns and sidemarkers. The 1157 bulb matches well when it is bright, but not when it is low. You can't expect it to match, because it is using less power.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:15 AM
lcf

Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

Originally posted by MichaelAE
My comments only refer to the FMVSS Title 109 which is the recommended Federal law which applies to these questions. Each state is empowered to write their own version. States like Texas and Washington have directly adopted Title 109, but states like California wrote their own and it differs in some places.

The front turn signals may be either white or amber. You can replace the amber light in your 2K-2K1 headlight housing with a white bulb, or a brighter amber bulb provided it meets SAE color requirements (bulb will be labeled as such usually). Much like the 2K2 headlights, there is no requirement for a forward facing amber light on your car. The so called, front facing, 'parking lights' are not required on either car. They are white on the 2K2-2K3 and amber on the 2K-2K1.
so we can have white turn signals? where did you find this information? any information on florida?
Old 07-19-2002, 01:35 PM

Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

Originally posted by lcf
so we can have white turn signals? where did you find this information? any information on florida?
Florida State Motor Vehicle Code as amended in 2000.

See section 316.234(2) which states:

316.234(2) - Any vehicle may be equipped and, when required under s. 316.222(2), shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination towards which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light. The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signalling, shall emit a red or amber light.
So, yes, your front turn signals can be white (or amber) in the state of Florida. Your rear signals must be red or amber.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:44 PM
lcf

Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

Florida State Motor Vehicle Code as amended in 2000.

See section 316.234(2) which states:

So, yes, your front turn signals can be white (or amber) in the state of Florida. Your rear signals must be red or amber.
dood, you rock! thanks.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

Originally posted by lcf
dood, you rock! thanks.
No problemo.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:35 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by ru4real

I have Polargs in my front turns and sidemarkers. The 1157 bulb matches well when it is bright, but not when it is low. You can't expect it to match, because it is using less power.
yeah i was just thinkin about that too, i guess i wanted too much from it. but those signals are still way too bright, im afraid to signal near cops its like a flash from a camera and i know its gonna anoy them. also i think i just got another ticket this time photo radar i gave the camera the finger just at the last second too, i cant wait to see those pics.

Old 07-19-2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by ru4real

I have Polargs in my front turns and sidemarkers.
ditto
Old 07-20-2002, 10:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

[B]

yah my turn signals are white all around, as are my side markers... the FL cops give me **** all the time, and at the airport a few weeks ago, one cop even told me he saw "at least 7 different lighting violations" which is bull****, cuz i dont even think i have 7 different kids of lights on the outside... sorry to drift, but the point is, FL cops are dumb... i mean, do like the book says or the man writes you a ticket
Old 07-20-2002, 07:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

Originally posted by magnum

yah my turn signals are white all around, as are my side markers... the FL cops give me **** all the time, and at the airport a few weeks ago, one cop even told me he saw "at least 7 different lighting violations" which is bull****, cuz i dont even think i have 7 different kids of lights on the outside... sorry to drift, but the point is, FL cops are dumb... i mean, do like the book says or the man writes you a ticket
I got pulled over and got cited for my front sidemarkers/rear sidemarkers/headlights/turn signals/and license plate lights, all were bluish, the fact i was doing like 35 over might not have helped. The judge dismissed it all for me though!
Old 07-20-2002, 07:41 PM

The bad part about the stealth lights is you still can see the amber bulb at day or night but up close only at night. Those silver bulbs and stealth is probly how I'm gonna go.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:47 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

I got pulled over and got cited for my front sidemarkers/rear sidemarkers/headlights/turn signals/and license plate lights, all were bluish, the fact i was doing like 35 over might not have helped. The judge dismissed it all for me though!
dude your lucky, i was pulled over goin 20over and i got sited for my side markers but not my headlights, fogs, or sigs. the judge just dismissed the side markers and gave me a 5mph over violation charge. i was surprized i got that much since i kinda got into a argument with him and the cop in the courtroom (u could hear every1 behind us tryin not to laugh) turns out i had a childish judge who was an @$$ hole. still got out with a total of 157.71

Old 07-20-2002, 09:55 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I don't want to have to kill someone tonight. Thank you.
You need to chill...

and Kloogy, you know better..
Old 07-20-2002, 10:05 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Amber bulb inside the 2K headlight housing question

Originally posted by TimW

You need to chill...

man this reminds me of a middle school security guard.

Old 07-20-2002, 11:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

dude your lucky, i was pulled over goin 20over and i got sited for my side markers but not my headlights, fogs, or sigs. the judge just dismissed the side markers and gave me a 5mph over violation charge. i was surprized i got that much since i kinda got into a argument with him and the cop in the courtroom (u could hear every1 behind us tryin not to laugh) turns out i had a childish judge who was an @$$ hole. still got out with a total of 157.71
That fine suxks, I got off with just driving school since this was my first ticket, but that was still 105...
Old 07-21-2002, 12:00 AM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

That fine suxks, I got off with just driving school since this was my first ticket, but that was still 105...
oh ok that explains it, i had driving scholl like 1yr and 9 months ago. ghey huh! i really done car about the money, seriously its just the insurance goin up thats anoying. i think i just got another ticket yesterday, it was a photo radar i was tryin my hand agains a 2k2, this one had to be an 6spd cuz he really took off. im pretty close to the auto but cant touch the 6spd. looks like we both lost and the city of phx one. i guess ill never learn, good thing i didnt register the car under my name.

Old 07-21-2002, 12:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

oh ok that explains it, i had driving scholl like 1yr and 9 months ago. ghey huh! i really done car about the money, seriously its just the insurance goin up thats anoying. i think i just got another ticket yesterday, it was a photo radar i was tryin my hand agains a 2k2, this one had to be an 6spd cuz he really took off. im pretty close to the auto but cant touch the 6spd. looks like we both lost and the city of phx one. i guess ill never learn, good thing i didnt register the car under my name.
You in the phoenix area too? What area? Those 2K2 s are real fast, I cant hang with a manual hardly at all and ive got y, intake, and exhaust. My car is registered under my dad too and its gotten me out of a bunch of other tickets for my stupid lights. Cops here hate them I guess. I tell them that its his car and he takes it to shows and stuff and thats why they are like that. They tell me to fix them, but I never do I guess I dont learn other
Old 07-21-2002, 01:34 AM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

You in the phoenix area too? What area? Those 2K2 s are real fast, I cant hang with a manual hardly at all and ive got y, intake, and exhaust. My car is registered under my dad too and its gotten me out of a bunch of other tickets for my stupid lights. Cops here hate them I guess. I tell them that its his car and he takes it to shows and stuff and thats why they are like that. They tell me to fix them, but I never do I guess I dont learn other
im arounf 32nd and cactus. btw is urs 5spd or auto? and yeah the cops here are A$$ holes.

Old 07-21-2002, 01:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Amber bulb inside the 2K headlight housing question

man this reminds me of a middle school security guard.
Dont let me catch you without your hall pass..
Old 07-21-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: Re: Amber bulb inside the 2K headlight housing question

You need to chill...

Sarcasm. And Kloogy is my bro so I know he was kidding too....

Speaking of violence and bad tempers, what ever happened to Melteye? Is he....um....okay??
Old 07-21-2002, 10:37 AM

I know...

thats why I didnt freak out about it. You know the threat thing has been a problem lately, so I have to say *something*. Others may not know you're kidding. np, tho.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

im arounf 32nd and cactus. btw is urs 5spd or auto? and yeah the cops here are A$$ holes.
32nd st. or ave? Mines an auto, whats yours? What color?
Old 07-21-2002, 02:28 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

32nd st. or ave? Mines an auto, whats yours? What color?
32ns st. and ditto on the auto , its pearl white.

Old 07-21-2002, 02:30 PM
2K1HoMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Amber bulb inside the 2K headlight housing question

Dont let me catch you without your hall pass..
ill be sure to remember that, and yeah i know it was all sarcasm.

Old 07-21-2002, 06:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Legal Man to the rescue....

32ns st. and ditto on the auto , its pearl white.
As is mine on the white pearl. We should compare some time. I'll actually be at that park on the other side of the 51 and cactus, tonight...you could check it out if you want

Quick Reply: Amber bulb inside the 2K headlight housing question