5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Terrifying test-drives anyone...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 08:39 AM

Anyone here been on a test-drive with a zealot/saleman who thought it was his job to scare the *crap* out of you with the performance capability of the car? For cryin' out loud, is this a standard selling technique, or what? You'd think that KILLING a customer would be frowned upon at most car dealerships...
Old 12-10-2000, 08:41 AM

yea my dealer where i got my car from was like
yea just gun the thing and see how fast it can really go.
so i did
then when i bought my car
i got the different color so i wouldn't have the messed up car
Old 12-10-2000, 09:57 AM

a few months before I got my car,(in June 99 when the 5th Gen first came out) this salesman at Mossy Nissan in San Diego, was almost doing donuts when we went out for a spin. I mean he burned rubber, slammed on the brakes to show us ABS..eeekk, who ends up with these cars??
Old 12-10-2000, 11:06 AM

Test Drives

Funny, I thought it was only me, but before I bought the I30 I test drove the Lexus gs300 and the sales guy took it to a residential street, got it up to 80 then slammed the brakes to show me how well the car stops. Then he made me do it...you know "come on, go for it, don't worry, kids don't come on this street!"
Old 12-10-2000, 11:07 AM

my dealer

..the first place I ever drove a Max, but not where I bought it, let me test drive the Maxima, but sat beside me. the car had next to no miles on it, and he encouraged me to floor it, and generally let 'er rip. He also made leering comments about every woman walking down the street and how hot she was.. The guy basically said, Maxima engines were designed to be driven as hard as you can..no holds barred right out the dealers door..Yeah right bud! I bought mine elsewhere
Old 12-10-2000, 12:41 PM

I had a car dealer tell me that I was "abusing the car" when I took a test drive one time years ago. I think it was his personal demo car, but WTF do I care?! Can you say Anti-Lock breaks?!!
Old 12-10-2000, 01:21 PM

Man I'm streight UP with Sales people when I go to buy a car, U floor this **** once and I'm not buying it. I never drive a car fast when I'm test driveing one, Like to see everything is working right, engine and tranny are not making funny noises, Turn the damn radio off so I can listen to verything. But some sales people just like to impress your Girl or your wife by driveing like idots. I'll drive it hard once its mine, but for now let me leave some in here for the next customer.
Old 12-10-2000, 03:45 PM

few months ago a friend was buying A4, so we went to a Audi dealer to check out the car. This young (20-ish), funky looking salesman took us out with a A4 quattro, spin the car around a fountain out side the dealership at 35-40 mph for like 10 laps and slammed on the brake to show how well the car handles. And then he even back the car into a sand bank, left the two rear wheels in the sand, and floored the car to show how good the quattro is to get u out of trouble when needed.....

that was one awesome test drive. It turns out this guy just got transfered from another dealer where he used to sell S4s......by the way, this dealer is in Orange County by the 57 freeway in case any of u so cal guys want to go check it out.
Old 12-10-2000, 04:13 PM

Have you ever seen the movie Used Cars with Kurt Russell?
Old 12-10-2000, 10:04 PM

Think back to the early 90's...My friend was trading in his beloved 92 Firebird & we were not allowed to test drive the 93 Trans Am, but we could go for a ride w/the the Mario Andretti of the car dealership world. To show the handling capabilities, he tried to take a turnaround at about 60mph, lost traction & hit the sidewall. He totalled the car, scared the hell out of us, and sadly, was forced to seek other employment.
Old 12-10-2000, 10:14 PM
CLIMAX

Thank GOD.....

In southeast Connecticut dealers dont go on test drivers since one of their own got kidnapped and killed. When I bought my MAX I took one I knew I didn't want for a hell ride then took the one with 13 miles on it for a test just to listen for trouble then bought it...

Old 12-10-2000, 10:24 PM

test drive

I went to test drive a 2000 maxima, and the dealer told me to get on the highway and go two exits down where there is this tight u-turn off the exit and back onto the highway going the other direction. I was going about 65 around the turn, and he kept saying give it more gas, give it more gas see what it can do. When we were back on the highway he looked around, and said I don't see any cops...floor it and you will see how fast it is up to 140. This guy was crazy, I just said thanks, and left.
Old 12-10-2000, 10:52 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I scared the **** out of the dealer while test drving a Camaro SS last year, I'm sure you can imagine how it went...
Old 12-11-2000, 12:50 AM

Well, when I took the Lexus IS300 for a test drive, the salesman did a little demo for me. He absolutely murdered the car driving it out of the dealership. Floored it while taking a turn, and I swear the tail kicked out a little. Crazy. He also slammed on the brakes too, just as I thought he was going to stop and let me take the drivers seat so I was taking off my seatbelt. I ended up getting shoved against the front seat when he stopped abruptly. Did he think he was impressing me, or looking like a fool? I PITY DA FOO!! haha...

Either way, it was a nice car but the damn salesman stank like coffee and kept on yapping off about how great and 'perfect' the car was. My friend and I were thinking like shut up and let us concentrate on driving the car. He sat in the seat behind me, and me being 6'1", I had to move the seat back. I moved it back almost to the maximum and asked him if he was ok back there. I knew he was being crushed by the seat. He said "it's great..plenty of room" and I looked back...he was all contorted and looking very uncomfortable. Plus I bet his 250lb mass didn't help the already somewhat underwhelming acceleration of the IS300.

And you know what the funny thing was? The car had already been sold. It was a strange feeling knowing that I was abusing a customer's car on the test drive. Hehehehehe....

Old 12-11-2000, 05:17 AM
wht2kmax

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric L.
[I]Well, when I took the Lexus IS300 for a test drive, the salesman did a little demo for me. He absolutely murdered the car driving it out of the dealership. Floored it while taking a turn, and I swear the tail kicked out a little. Crazy. He also slammed on the brakes too, just as I thought he was going to stop and let me take the drivers seat so I was taking off my seatbelt. I ended up getting shoved against the front seat when he stopped abruptly. Did he think he was impressing me, or looking like a fool? I PITY DA FOO!! haha...

Either way, it was a nice car but the damn salesman stank like coffee and kept on yapping off about how great and 'perfect' the car was. My friend and I were thinking like shut up and let us concentrate on driving the car. He sat in the seat behind me, and me being 6'1", I had to move the seat back. I moved it back almost to the maximum and asked him if he was ok back there. I knew he was being crushed by the seat. He said "it's great..plenty of room" and I looked back...he was all contorted and looking very uncomfortable. Plus I bet his 250lb mass didn't help the already somewhat underwhelming acceleration of the IS300.

And you know what the funny thing was? The car had already been sold. It was a strange feeling knowing that I was abusing a customer's car on the test drive. Hehehehehe....

It's against the law to let someone test drive a car thats already sold. Not only that would you like someone else to test drive something you just laid 30 large for???
BTW thats why DEMOS are cheap, IMO it aint worth it.

F/S Philip H4 HID kit
Jason
00 Maxima SE A/T with 2% secret sauce

Old 12-11-2000, 07:08 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I went for a spin at the Acura dealership once

I was driving a GSR and the salesman kept pushing me to go faster. we got up into some hills and I took this turn.. He told me 'you have to turn around and try that faster.' reluctantly I did. It was a blind hairpin turn. About 1/3 into the turn, huggin the curb, I was greeted with a haulin @ss brand new NSX on another test drive in my lane, with a salesman doing the same thing. I was on my correct side, but the NSX had to veer across the road.... white smoke everywhere. luckily no paint was exchanged, but it was CLOSE. big skid marks. the salesperson was shaking.. was pretty funny.

I took one of my test drives at Nissan and the sales guy beat the hell out of the car. He asked if I was going to buy the car... I said "not this car, not with what you just did to it with 5 miles on it!". he acted like he cared, but I dont think any of them really do.
Old 12-11-2000, 08:54 PM

Re: I went for a spin at the Acura dealership once

Originally posted by TimW
I was driving a GSR and the salesman kept pushing me to go faster. we got up into some hills and I took this turn.. He told me 'you have to turn around and try that faster.' reluctantly I did. It was a blind hairpin turn. About 1/3 into the turn, huggin the curb, I was greeted with a haulin @ss brand new NSX on another test drive in my lane, with a salesman doing the same thing. I was on my correct side, but the NSX had to veer across the road.... white smoke everywhere. luckily no paint was exchanged, but it was CLOSE. big skid marks. the salesperson was shaking.. was pretty funny.

I took one of my test drives at Nissan and the sales guy beat the hell out of the car. He asked if I was going to buy the car... I said "not this car, not with what you just did to it with 5 miles on it!". he acted like he cared, but I dont think any of them really do.
So, were the skidmarks on the road, or in your drawers, man? :-)
Old 12-11-2000, 09:01 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hahaha

Old 12-12-2000, 05:44 AM

Re: Re: I went for a spin at the Acura dealership once

So, were the skidmarks on the road, or in your drawers, man? :-)
Old 12-12-2000, 09:25 AM

my dealer was cool....

he let me take the car out by myself, i went to the dealership with my dad (i'm 18) and the sales manager told me to go out and drive it alone, so i did. i took a 2001 GLE for a test drive, 0 miles. i came back 10 minutes later and the guy had all the paper work out, he was eager. but my dad wasn't gonna buy me a $29.5k car (that was the sticker, we was willing to give it for $28k) so i bought the only GXE on the lot for $23k w/spoiler and tint. the manager was cool, he told me that if wasn't sure about the car, that i can take it home for a few days and then make a decision. i understand that since he's so cool, that a lot of his cars are screwed up from people taking the car to the limit (i did), so thats why i bought the GXE (only 6 miles), all other cars had 100+ miles.
Old 12-12-2000, 12:47 PM

HEH HEH HEH

Well first, let me say that I will never let a dealer take me on a test drive. If they won't let me drive the car they can go f*** themselves. I've had a few fun ones. When I was looking at my max I also test drove a new Prelude SH. I scared the s*** out of the salesman with that thing. I know it's not good for the car but I need to know what I'm getting. Took it into a cul-de-sac and cranked it hard over and floored it. It was pretty amazing how well it turned without slipping. Don't try to chase one of those through a corner in the Maxima, trust me. I also once drove a old 944 turbo...I returned it with a flat tire, and I'll leave it at that.