5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

suspension noise on 2K3

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

suspension noise on 2K3

Hey, I am a new member, I just picked up my 2K3 SE this week. I have seen a few posts regarding susspension noise on 2K2 models that are totally stock. I am getting a moderate banging metal on metal noise when I go over speed bumps and other large bumps, it seems to be much worse with people in the back seat. This car is totally stock. did anyone who has had this problem figure out what it was or get it fixed? I am taking it to the dealer to have them look at it on Tuesday.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:45 AM

Re: suspension noise on 2K3

Originally posted by eztodd
Hey, I am a new member, I just picked up my 2K3 SE this week. I have seen a few posts regarding susspension noise on 2K2 models that are totally stock. I am getting a moderate banging metal on metal noise when I go over speed bumps and other large bumps, it seems to be much worse with people in the back seat. This car is totally stock. did anyone who has had this problem figure out what it was or get it fixed? I am taking it to the dealer to have them look at it on Tuesday.
Lots of us seem to have similar reports. I don't know that there is a problem, just a poor design characteristic. Perhaps the suspension travel is quite short and if you go too fast over RR tracks or the like, you hit the stops. That would also account for your experience with weight in the back seat. I have had some success by letting the tyre sidewalls play more of a role in the suspension. I don't run anything over 32 psi. ---Frank
Old 07-23-2002, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took the car to the dealer today, they actually seemed quite interested in solving the problem. What they think was causing the noise was the muffler knocking against the heat shield. The guy loosened the heat shield and moved it as far over as he could. The noise has not surfaced since I got the car back from the dealer at 10:00 AM today. Hopefully this is the last of it.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:49 AM

I took the car to the dealer today, they actually seemed quite interested in solving the problem. What they think was causing the noise was the muffler knocking against the heat shield. The guy loosened the heat shield and moved it as far over as he could. The noise has not surfaced since I got the car back from the dealer at 10:00 AM today. Hopefully this is the last of it.
Great! good luck. These are great cars. I have had three of them over the last 11 years. ---FRank
Old 07-24-2002, 10:27 AM

off topic, but do check your tire pressure. When I first bought my car the ride was really rough, then i checked the tire pressure and it was at 40. i lowered it to 32 and it is alot better now.