5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Frankencar help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Frankencar help?

OK installed the midpipe with the berk filter. Nothing aligns up so I had to leave off the mouting bracket, will the vibration mess up the MAF with no bracket hooked up?

Second I left the ambient temp sensor disconnected but in place as I need more time to get the wire to the new location on the midpipe. Will that be the reason I have a SES light now?

The burs left behind from the hole drilled in the midpipe concerned me and I had to file it down as not to get the burs in the motor.

Where can I get silicon couplers for the midpipe as I don't want the black hose???

Thank you for the help!
Old 07-22-2002, 11:57 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i have the same setup as you do so maybe i can help. the berk bracket took a little persuading to get on but it will fit. i bent mine so it would sit flatter. i would definately find a way to get either the fraken or berk bracket just because of the sensitive maf sensor on our cars. i would also put the ambient sensor in the pipe because that leaves an open hole in the midpipe. that will let any dirt or anything else go straight into the engine since the hole is behind the filter. at least cover it up with tape til you can cut the tape and relocate the sensor. i dont think it would cause an SES light to go off though. As far as the silicon connectors go, check out your local advance auto because of the apc accessories that they carry. hope some of this helps.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by sloppymax
i have the same setup as you do so maybe i can help. the berk bracket took a little persuading to get on but it will fit. i bent mine so it would sit flatter. i would definately find a way to get either the fraken or berk bracket just because of the sensitive maf sensor on our cars. i would also put the ambient sensor in the pipe because that leaves an open hole in the midpipe. that will let any dirt or anything else go straight into the engine since the hole is behind the filter. at least cover it up with tape til you can cut the tape and relocate the sensor. i dont think it would cause an SES light to go off though. As far as the silicon connectors go, check out your local advance auto because of the apc accessories that they carry. hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the help, the sensor IS installed in the midpipe just not connected. I will try to get the berk bracket to work.

Anyone have any idea why the SES light is on???
Old 07-22-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Maximam

Thanks for the help, the sensor IS installed in the midpipe just not connected. I will try to get the berk bracket to work.

Anyone have any idea why the SES light is on???
I dont really know why, but ever since I put my Frankencar intake on like 5 months ago, I've had my SES light on. Its been looked at by many people and they dont understand why its on. They've reset the ECU and all that fun stuff, but it keeps coming back on. I've been too lazy to see if putting the stock intake on turns it off.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'll have the Purosil hoses in stock by the end of the week. Pricing has been set at $8.50 for each section of hose. Hoses are Purosil high temp silicone, dual wall, nylon reinforced, the same used for turbo applications.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

I dont really know why, but ever since I put my Frankencar intake on like 5 months ago, I've had my SES light on. Its been looked at by many people and they dont understand why its on. They've reset the ECU and all that fun stuff, but it keeps coming back on. I've been too lazy to see if putting the stock intake on turns it off.
You need to have the ECU reset or more specifically code cleared from the ECU as it gets saved on the eeprom. No matter how long you leave your battery disconnected the light will always come on till you do.
If you don't know someone that has or works at a repair shop see if an .org member near you knows someone that can do this for you. This can tell you what through the code so you know if you really have a problem or not and if something else goes wrong in the furure you'll know cause the light will come back on.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by maximaman777

You need to have the ECU reset or more specifically code cleared from the ECU as it gets saved on the eeprom. No matter how long you leave your battery disconnected the light will always come on till you do.
If you don't know someone that has or works at a repair shop see if an .org member near you knows someone that can do this for you. This can tell you what through the code so you know if you really have a problem or not and if something else goes wrong in the furure you'll know cause the light will come back on.
I had an ASE certified tech do it and it came right back on...
Old 07-22-2002, 06:42 PM

D@mn! Does everyone with a mid-pipe get a SES light? I was not under the impression installing a mid-pipe means SES light!

Anyone else have suggestions as to why this SES light even went on and how to permenantly get it off?
Old 07-22-2002, 07:41 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I have no such problem with it !
Old 07-22-2002, 08:31 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i didnt get a light on my install either. i took the precaution of disconnecting the negative terminal just in case. im not sure if it helped but it cant hurt.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by sloppymax
i didnt get a light on my install either. i took the precaution of disconnecting the negative terminal just in case. im not sure if it helped but it cant hurt.
I disconnected the neg cable too. I hooked the amient temp sensor back up and so far no SES BUT I am afraid to start it again as the SES usually shows up after the second start.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:51 PM

I had an ASE certified tech do it and it came right back on...
When you had it reset were you able to find out what the code number was?
You can go to the OBDII site and cross reference it. You shouldn't have a light on something must be wrong; bad sensor, loose connection, moron tech... something. I have had to reset mine twice, both my fault, and it doesn't come back on.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:15 PM

When you had it reset were you able to find out what the code number was?
You can go to the OBDII site and cross reference it. You shouldn't have a light on something must be wrong; bad sensor, loose connection, moron tech... something. I have had to reset mine twice, both my fault, and it doesn't come back on.
All my sensors are good, ive switched them with two other stock maximas and they didnt help, I didnt get the code number, but like I said, nobody knows why. I'm just gonna put my stock intake back on and take it to Nissan I think.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:53 PM

All my sensors are good, ive switched them with two other stock maximas and they didnt help, I didnt get the code number, but like I said, nobody knows why. I'm just gonna put my stock intake back on and take it to Nissan I think.
Sounds like a good idea. Good luck I hope it all works out.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:56 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Good luck I hope it all works out.
Yea thanks! Me too.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:48 AM

I haven't had any problems with the SES light but my bracket doesn't fit either Mine is like an inch away. I guess I'll try bending it to see if its fits, when ever I get around to it. As far as install, I disconnected the Negative battery terminal also and have had no problems with SES light...
Old 07-24-2002, 07:46 AM

Re: Frankencar help?

Originally posted by Maximam
OK installed the midpipe with the berk filter. Nothing aligns up so I had to leave off the mouting bracket, will the vibration mess up the MAF with no bracket hooked up?

Second I left the ambient temp sensor disconnected but in place as I need more time to get the wire to the new location on the midpipe. Will that be the reason I have a SES light now?

The burs left behind from the hole drilled in the midpipe concerned me and I had to file it down as not to get the burs in the motor.

Where can I get silicon couplers for the midpipe as I don't want the black hose???

Thank you for the help!

Having the temp sensor disconnected and starting it up will definitely cause a SES light.