5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is there a way to upgrade the 2002 Nav system to play DVD's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 10:06 PM

Is there a way to upgrade the 2002 Nav system to play DVD's?

What technology is used for the the stock Nav system, can it be upgraded via software to play regular DVD's. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. Thanks
Old 07-24-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: Is there a way to upgrade the 2002 Nav system to play DVD's?

Originally posted by davsan
What technology is used for the the stock Nav system, can it be upgraded via software to play regular DVD's. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. Thanks
davsan, please search, search, search!

The stock Navi system in the Max is CD based not DVD, DVD should be in Maximas in 04.

Scott
Old 07-24-2002, 10:16 AM

Since I helped get the other thread off topic I'm going to try answer the actual question. The CD Navigation in the Max does not allow you to remove the CD and insert a DVD and it magically displays. This will not happen. Check the other thread for the link to the company in NY that is selling the switches to add TV/DVD to European cars. Contact them and ask them to do the same to the Max. There is a video signal going to the monitor so it is possible, the problem lies in finding out how to tap into that video source and to interrupt the current display. You don't want both signals on at the same time, but you also want to be able to switch the video on convienently. The only way I can think of is to have a switch in the car that when turned on interrupts the video signal and inserts the auxillary video source.

Anyone ever think of what would happen if you got this to work and you touched the screen? If you were on normal view would it change the temperature still? I assume the computer that would be outputting the signal uses an imagemap of the screen that is independent of whatever is actually being displayed? Could you then change the radio station while looking at a movie?
Old 07-24-2002, 10:45 AM

Your right...I should have searched before

posting. I found the thread you were refering to, and I contacted the comapny in NY. I'm sure others have contacted them and it will be interesting to hear and see what they can do. I have not evaluated how much it's worth to me to have this option, I may never be able to recoup my cost for something like this. I do plan to either upgrade to a 2004 or G35, the money may be better used as a down payment. As a side question, do you guys know of anyone who's installed head rest dvd/tv systems and they have a Nav system as well. It would be interesting to see where and how they installed it. Thanks
Old 07-24-2002, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
Since I helped get the other thread off topic I'm going to try answer the actual question. The CD Navigation in the Max does not allow you to remove the CD and insert a DVD and it magically displays. This will not happen. Check the other thread for the link to the company in NY that is selling the switches to add TV/DVD to European cars. Contact them and ask them to do the same to the Max. There is a video signal going to the monitor so it is possible, the problem lies in finding out how to tap into that video source and to interrupt the current display. You don't want both signals on at the same time, but you also want to be able to switch the video on convienently. The only way I can think of is to have a switch in the car that when turned on interrupts the video signal and inserts the auxillary video source.

Anyone ever think of what would happen if you got this to work and you touched the screen? If you were on normal view would it change the temperature still? I assume the computer that would be outputting the signal uses an imagemap of the screen that is independent of whatever is actually being displayed? Could you then change the radio station while looking at a movie?
Well just to clarify a couple of things, the radio controls have absolutely nothing to do with the Navi screen, they are totally seperate and do not appear on the screen. I am assuming that if you patch into the controls of the video input, and you switch it to play say a movie, then none of the OEM Controls would be able to be used on the screen, ie climate controls, you would have to switch the video source back to the OEM settings.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by ScottG61376

Well just to clarify a couple of things, the radio controls have absolutely nothing to do with the Navi screen, they are totally seperate and do not appear on the screen. I am assuming that if you patch into the controls of the video input, and you switch it to play say a movie, then none of the OEM Controls would be able to be used on the screen, ie climate controls, you would have to switch the video source back to the OEM settings.
I forgot the Bose is placed below the screen. I thought that it was all integrated. Since I am unfamiliar, is the HVAC controls always displayed? Because, if so, those are the controls that I think might still be "active" when they switch the video source.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by xtantmaxima

I forgot the Bose is placed below the screen. I thought that it was all integrated. Since I am unfamiliar, is the HVAC controls always displayed? Because, if so, those are the controls that I think might still be "active" when they switch the video source.
No they are not always displayed, if you turn the screen off, then you can not control the HVAC.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by ScottG61376

No they are not always displayed, if you turn the screen off, then you can not control the HVAC.
Not necessarily true. If you do change your settings the screen will come back on. You can also go into the settings for the display and have the map on 2/3 of the screen and the HVAC info on the other 1/3.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by jefferdy1

Not necessarily true. If you do change your settings the screen will come back on. You can also go into the settings for the display and have the map on 2/3 of the screen and the HVAC info on the other 1/3.
Isn't it 1/2 map and 1/2 HVAC? If you were even able to splice into the video input to the screen then wouldn't you have to switch between the aud video source, and the normal controls, I don't see how you could have a mixture of both.

Scott
Old 07-24-2002, 03:32 PM

There is a preference setting. I leave mine on full map.When I need to adjust th HVAC, the control panel appears as soon as you touch one of the HVAC controls.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by NYC2SD
There is a preference setting. I leave mine on full map.When I need to adjust th HVAC, the control panel appears as soon as you touch one of the HVAC controls.
Yeah I know, but I am talking about turning the entire monitor off, you know the button next to the D/N on the right side, your HVAC controls won't come up then will they?
Old 07-24-2002, 03:48 PM

Sorry to cause all this confusion.

From what you are saying it seems that for most people the HVAC controls are on all the time. If they are displayed and you tap into the video do you think the HVAC would display on top? In web design drop down menus create layers and that is what it seems the HVAC controls are acting as, a top layer. So if you tap in the signal you might still be able to control the HVAC either as a convience or a nuisance depending on your opinion.