5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H & R Springs, Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 06:06 AM

H & R Springs, Installed!

What a great upgrade from stock. The car looks better, corners MUCH better, and ride quality is hardly impaired (only noticable when going over good-size bumps and pot holes). If anyone lives in northern IL, the shop that did my instal charges $150, if you're interested.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:24 AM

Re: H & R Springs, Installed!

How much did the springs cost you and where from? I am debating between the maxspeeds and the H&R's. Right now I am set on the H&R's because I will be keeping my max for a very long time and want the ultimate springs that maintain stock ride. I am very picky. Did the $150 include the alignment?

Originally posted by Max 1109
What a great upgrade from stock. The car looks better, corners MUCH better, and ride quality is hardly impaired (only noticable when going over good-size bumps and pot holes). If anyone lives in northern IL, the shop that did my instal charges $150, if you're interested.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: H & R Springs, Installed!

Originally posted by Lumbee799
How much did the springs cost you and where from? I am debating between the maxspeeds and the H&R's. Right now I am set on the H&R's because I will be keeping my max for a very long time and want the ultimate springs that maintain stock ride. I am very picky. Did the $150 include the alignment?
I think there is a group deal on H&R's right now, isn't there? Otherwise, go to shox.com for a quote.

If $150 included the alignment that's pretty good, but you really don't want to get an alignment until you've driven around on your new springs for a little bit. You want them to settle before the alignment, otherwise you may just need another alignment.

As for maintaining stock ride. Don't fool yourself, NO SPRINGS MAINTAIN STOCK RIDE. The key to maintaining a close-to-stock ride is the combination of your springs and struts. Buy either spring, but be prepared to replace struts when the ride starts getting rough or replace them right up front, particularly if you are keeping your Max for a long time.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: H & R Springs, Installed!

Originally posted by MichaelAE

I think there is a group deal on H&R's right now, isn't there? Otherwise, go to shox.com for a quote.

If $150 included the alignment that's pretty good, but you really don't want to get an alignment until you've driven around on your new springs for a little bit. You want them to settle before the alignment, otherwise you may just need another alignment.

As for maintaining stock ride. Don't fool yourself, NO SPRINGS MAINTAIN STOCK RIDE. The key to maintaining a close-to-stock ride is the combination of your springs and struts. Buy either spring, but be prepared to replace struts when the ride starts getting rough or replace them right up front, particularly if you are keeping your Max for a long time.
The H&R group deal is over. The price was $198-$207 shipped depending on where you live.

I got mine last week. I thought I was going to have to wait a while to put mine on. I didn't want to do it myself since it is one thing on cars I have never touched and I would have to buy a few tools. But I talked with my Stepfather last night and he has all the tools and is ready to go. All I have to do is drive to Jacksonville from Ft. Lauderdale one weekend. Maybe this one.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:11 AM

I love my H&Rs and Toks, car rides great. Had fun with a camry the other night, hehe. His car was sliding all over the beltway, max was planted and cruising!!!!
Old 07-24-2002, 11:17 AM

jeff in NY charges alot less for spring installs
Old 07-24-2002, 11:47 AM

Alright, who is Jeff....you? Thinking of getting the H&R OEM springs....thx.

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

jeff in NY charges alot less for spring installs
Old 07-24-2002, 12:08 PM

Which H&R's did u get, the Stage I or OEM? Believe that's the set with 1.3 inch drop and is the least harsh. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: H & R Springs, Installed!

Where was the group deal from? Can anyone provide that info? Avalon (sp?) racing or something or other?

Originally posted by Hobert

The H&R group deal is over. The price was $198-$207 shipped depending on where you live.

I got mine last week. I thought I was going to have to wait a while to put mine on. I didn't want to do it myself since it is one thing on cars I have never touched and I would have to buy a few tools. But I talked with my Stepfather last night and he has all the tools and is ready to go. All I have to do is drive to Jacksonville from Ft. Lauderdale one weekend. Maybe this one.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:04 PM

We have 3 extra sets

Looks like I have 3 sets left over.

without checking I believe one set is 2k+ and the others 4th gen. Have to check.

These will sell for $220.00 + shipping.

Regards

Originally posted by Shamus
Where was the group deal from? Can anyone provide that info? Avalon (sp?) racing or something or other?

Old 07-24-2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Lumbee799

I got my springs from Tirerack.com. They cost $225 plus shipping. Well worth the cost. The ride quality is really good with the H & Rs, overall. You get use to the additional harshness pretty quick because its not too bad. I'm picky also, and so far I'm not having any regrets. The only problem is that I'm also getting use to the better handling, and then want more. The $150 did not include alignment. At this time I don't think I will need an alignment. I know it's recommended, but until my cars pulls or otherwise acts up, I'm not gonna worry about it.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Very sound, Mike

As far as alignment goes, wait at least until the spring settles. If there's uneven tire wear or the car pulls either side then go in for an alignment.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
As far as alignment goes, wait at least until the spring settles. If there's uneven tire wear or the car pulls either side then go in for an alignment.
How long before the front springs settle completely? It's been 2 days and it already looks lower than after instal in the front. Back appeared to settle over night. Hopefully the front gets just a bit lower.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How long before the front springs settle completely? It's been 2 days and it already looks lower than after instal in the front. Back appeared to settle over night. Hopefully the front gets just a bit lower.
about a week for the springs to be fully settled.......the front should be lowered once the springs are sintalled.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:51 PM

around how much are the tockios shocks?

i am thinking of going with the H&R but i want ot know around how much it will cost to replace the shocks after i put the springs
Old 08-27-2002, 05:20 PM

shox.com...Best prices I have ever found on any suspension products.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:30 PM

Have any of you cut the dead coil on your springs to get the front lower? I know Irvine78 did this and his Maxima looks slammin!
Old 08-27-2002, 05:41 PM

how many shocks are on a car? 2 or 4?
Old 08-27-2002, 06:14 PM
Very sound, Mike

4 Struts.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:19 PM

I got my H&R's from Treadquarter for $500 which included install and an alighnment. The springs gave me the instant drop no settling needed about a month later I got the recall notice to get transverse axle replaced and adjust the toe which included an alighnment so I got the car alighned when it was lowered and after the springs settle (again they did need to ) I suggust you go ahead and pay for both the alignment when you get the car lowered and after to avoid weird tire wear.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:20 PM

4 Struts.
around how much are the 4 Tokicos shocks?
Old 08-27-2002, 06:21 PM
Very sound, Mike

It's adviceable to align them at least a week after installation, that way there's already some settling in and you won't have to perform the procedure twice.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:24 PM

4 Struts.
Front has two (2) struts and rear has two (2) shocks
Old 08-27-2002, 06:24 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by 2001SE

around how much are the 4 Tokicos shocks?
Last time i got a quote from Shox it was $328 for all 4 + s/h

for the KYB GR2 (from KYBStruts.com)
fronts $94.93 each
rears $58.61 each
Old 08-27-2002, 06:25 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by Cutlr7
Front has two (2) struts and rear has two (2) shocks
Whoops!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:44 PM

are you still on oem struts/shocks?
Old 08-27-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Tanman
Have any of you cut the dead coil on your springs to get the front lower? I know Irvine78 did this and his Maxima looks slammin!
It would be interesting to find out if anyone did this.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:56 PM

Where in northern IL did you get them installed? I've bee looking for a place to install my H&Rs so far I 've been quoted 150-300. The 300.00 was from Ultimate Z. What a rip off but I use to have Z before and they did some work on it so I thought they would give me deal. Another place in Evanston 'Drivers Image' wants 200. All these places are so expensive I am thinking about doing it myself.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:52 AM

since you cant adjust the camber on the rear, do the rear tires wear weird?

-V
Old 08-28-2002, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by GMAX1
Where in northern IL did you get them installed? I've bee looking for a place to install my H&Rs so far I 've been quoted 150-300. The 300.00 was from Ultimate Z. What a rip off but I use to have Z before and they did some work on it so I thought they would give me deal. Another place in Evanston 'Drivers Image' wants 200. All these places are so expensive I am thinking about doing it myself.
Maybe go to a regular shop instead of a performance shop. I'm sure places like Midas or Sears will do suspension swaps for a lot cheaper than these performance shops.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:41 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by vinnieloo
since you cant adjust the camber on the rear, do the rear tires wear weird?

-V
The drop from H&R isn't low enough to affect your camber in a bad way.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:55 PM

Install beware

Originally posted by Tanman

Maybe go to a regular shop instead of a performance shop. I'm sure places like Midas or Sears will do suspension swaps for a lot cheaper than these performance shops.
I tryed to get a local Midas shop in my area and they quoted me over
$400 for the install. They did not want to touch it especially that those H&R's are not their product. So they gave me a super high quote. They don't want to take responsibility for lowering the car. I also took it to a so called speed shop and incurred $1800 in damage. You have to ask whoever does the install if their familiar with our car. The dealer fixed the damage under warranty. The speed shop picked up the rest. Make sure whoever does the install they know what there doing. Car looks great rides smooth but you have to adjust to the new feel. A little bumpy but the car handles like a dream. No more floating. Hugs the road great. Next up grade 18's and new rubber.
Good luck on your install.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:23 PM

Re: Install beware

Originally posted by CJLax

I tryed to get a local Midas shop in my area and they quoted me over
$400 for the install. They did not want to touch it especially that those H&R's are not their product. So they gave me a super high quote. They don't want to take responsibility for lowering the car. I also took it to a so called speed shop and incurred $1800 in damage. You have to ask whoever does the install if their familiar with our car. The dealer fixed the damage under warranty. The speed shop picked up the rest. Make sure whoever does the install they know what there doing. Car looks great rides smooth but you have to adjust to the new feel. A little bumpy but the car handles like a dream. No more floating. Hugs the road great. Next up grade 18's and new rubber.
Good luck on your install.
what kinda damage? your post is making me worry about installing springs. who eventually did your install correctly? cost?
Old 08-28-2002, 07:27 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Install beware

Originally posted by MAXRAY
what kinda damage? your post is making me worry about installing springs. who eventually did your install correctly? cost?
Read through the entire post

Old 08-29-2002, 03:48 PM

Re: Re: Install beware

Originally posted by MAXRAY

Don't worry like I said ask questions and make sure that your installer is familiar with imports and the task at hand. Make sure that he has done this job on a similar car. The person who did the job had no clue. It was a speed shop and I figured they knew what they were doing. $1800 worth of damage later and complete denial on his part. He said they were not his springs and that the install was fine it was the fault of the springs that I gave him. What BS. I'm lucky that I have friends at a local dealer. He pursuaded Nissan to fix the problem thru warranty in return he would grant a future favor. Right front axle gone and left side CV boot torn. All in all it still is a great mod for the dollar. It improves the handling greatly. It changes the ride but well worth it. A little more bumpy but I guess you have to get used to it. Car handles great looks awesome. It really doesn't lower the car that much. Here is the thread of my nightmare. visit my nightmare Good luck, enjoy the ride.