5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I take back some of the bad things I said about my Max

Old 09-05-2000, 09:09 PM

well sort of

Do I still have rattles? Yes. Did I still need to have both engine mounts replaced because they chirped like a cricket? Yes. Am I still pissed at my dealer because they are sticking it to me on replacing the TCM? Yes.

However I went to the Red Sox game tonight and took a ride in a co-workers Honda CRV....oh my god....what a piece of crap! Sure it may run forever but wahat a noisy little rough riding, ill mannered excuse for a vehicle! Guess my Max isn't so bad after all.

I know, I know...2 totally different vehicles but I needed some sort of pick me up due to my being in the dumps over all the probs my max seems to have.....

And damn it...I swear if my dealer tries to tell me that it is normal for the 2K Max to Waaah into second gear I'm gonna freak on him

Every day I try to get it to slip or delay or waaah or whatever....I think I have found the method....maybe....

I find that if I'm coasting at a slow speed like 15-25 and push down on the gas hard enough to get it to downshift into first(but not floor it), it will accelerate and waahh its way into second...if you floor it it will downshift, gain awesome speed but not shift into 2nd until 5500-6000 grand.....by getting it downshift without flooring it, it will shift into second much earlier and I have found the shift to experience the delay or waaahhh or slip or whatever...

then again I only tried this once on my way home tonight so I might be full of crap I hope not though...

To dream, to dream...to enjoy my max....

Old 09-05-2000, 09:26 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hard not to rag your car

trying to get the tranny to act up huh? its a vicious self fullfilling prophecy try not to get too upset about the TCM. I wasnt upset before getting it. alittle worried, but not angry. There are still 99% of the maxes out there before 4/00 without it and they arent dropping like flies. I'm not saying dont fight for it, you should.. it belongs to you. But on the flipside, dont lose sleep and raise your blood pressure if you can help it.

aside from trying to get it slip, it might not ever burn the clutches. again, dont rag her too hard. you still have to live with that tranny and clutches even with the new TCM.
Old 09-05-2000, 11:45 PM

yep, the maxima isn't such a bad car when you really ride in a lesser car!

I've ridden in a CRV and it's slow and very rough riding. For stock suspension it's almost unacceptable!

I spent all day yesterday driving a 99 Camry XLE V6 and when I got back in my Max I realized how much better my car handles, how much more responsive the engine is, and how much better the seats feel.

Old 09-06-2000, 05:27 AM

True Tim.....

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is the dealers flippant attitude such as "Hey..we can't find anything wrong" even though they know that everything that I've described to them fits the TSB to a T. (I know, I know...find another dealer......I want to fight thses guys to the end and the SM is softing up a bit as in he is agreeing with everything I say.....but lets see if he changes his thoughts on replacing it)

Well I hope I didn't get a taste of what is to come as far as rattles...it was chilly this morning...maybe high 40's low 50's and my dash around the radio was chattering up a storm.

Well hopefully tomorrow will be my last trip to Kelly Nissan....unless of course he has a change of heart and orders the new TCM

Thats true about the tranny Tim...I thought the same thing like "What the heck" "I can't keep doing this to the car!"

The suspension on the CRV? What suspension?? Holy crap...my butt is still sore from every bump we hit
Old 09-06-2000, 07:20 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Jnm2kse... try taking your car up a hill hard (harder than normal at least). That seems to be the most effective way of finding the slip (for me at least). Good luck!
Old 09-06-2000, 07:31 AM

Thanks Kev!

Hey ...thats a great idea.....that won't really beat on the tranny as the car will downshift normally anyways...thanks Kev!!
Old 09-06-2000, 07:40 AM

Yeah I like the Max too, but ....

I just been having so many problems with it since I bought it.
The freaking creaking noise when turning the steering wheel coming form right front area, caused by damaged strut mount.
Dealer ordered parts. OK.
It took them two months to get them. What the hell??
Anyways, I left my car for the whole day to get it done and what do you know, they couldn't get the strut mount to install cause it was the wrong one.
So they installed the new strut, and now my car making(feels like the suspension gona fall apart) noise.
I asked what the hell. And he said that because they took everything apart and the mount is damaged(actually the bushing on the mount is damaged) so that is why it is making that noise.
Anyways they ordered a new one.
I am still waiting.....

So it comes out to that I like the car. Drives great, engine, but problems that I been having just don't make it an enjoyable car. And moreover the build quality I think is pretty poor. Rattles comming form places, different lines of the car don't line up. Those are minor things I know, but still for the car in that price range it should have better build quality.

But I still like the car alot .
Old 09-06-2000, 11:05 AM

I don't know about the rest of you all, but this is my first car...considering what we pay for these, Nissan should jump at the chance to replace the faulty parts they know about. And in addition to that, they shouldn't be such SOB when we go to them with issues. I have NEVER had such bad service from a consumer affairs division as I did with Nissan's. Those people treat you like crap, like you're purposely bringing up issues to make their life difficult when in fact all I want is a SAFE car to drive. Call me crazy, but when I put down 30 grand for a car, I want it is perfect working order...

Old 09-06-2000, 11:49 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I totally agree with you.
Old 09-06-2000, 12:28 PM

I agree also

100% I also believe although this is a major issue it could be worse...imagine if you bought a Dodge. One of my bosses bough a 99 Durango and I can say without a doubt, its is the biggest POS on the road today.

Sort of a funny but sad statement on how her luck has been with it...she couldnt figure out why the tranny did not shift out of second at highway speeds...turns out that the drive indicator had moved out of place so the drive marking was actually D2 and so on!!! Thats nice eh?

I actually blame the dealers a little more than Nissan on this TCM issue(but not much..I agree..it should be a recall not a TSB)

I can walk into my dealer with the TSB in my hand which basically is a no-brainer from Nissan to the dealers that you are going to be having some folks with troubles with their trannys. Here is are the symptoms and here is how to fix it...they then go on to cover there asses by instructing the techs to VERIFY that slippage occurs.....it is so intermittent that it is almost impossible to reproduce on demand. You then get dealers that read that statement to the letter of the law and will refuse to replace anything unless it happens right before them. So much for the customer is always right.

Then there are dealers who are honest and know that you aren't blowing smoke at them and will replace the TCM with no problems...I need to find me one of them.

I'm not looking for a freebie or a fast one..I just know what my car does, what Nissan has admitted thru a TSB, and just want it corrected...nothing more or less.....

Nissan if you are listening, please listen harder to how your customers would like to be treated.