5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dust on Black SE Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 01:37 PM

Dust on Black SE Dash

Anyone else out there having trouble keeping their black interiors, especially the dash, clean. The dust on the interior really shows when the sun hits the black dash. Wiping the dash with a damp lint free cloth or rag/cloth with armorall doesn't remove all the dust/lint particles. The only way I can get rid of them is to vacuum them with my shop vac. It's as if the dash is a magnet for dust and lint.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:40 PM
jjs

Re: Dust on Black SE Dash

Originally posted by mdmartin92
Anyone else out there having trouble keeping their black interiors, especially the dash, clean. The dust on the interior really shows when the sun hits the black dash. Wiping the dash with a damp lint free cloth or rag/cloth with armorall doesn't remove all the dust/lint particles. The only way I can get rid of them is to vacuum them with my shop vac. It's as if the dash is a magnet for dust and lint.
Keep a package of those "SWIFFER" towels in your car for this. Those things work great on floors, tables, lamps, tv's, AND inside the car!!

They are great for dash boards and getting those tiny little bits of dust and dirt out of the seams of leather seats.

Old 07-26-2002, 01:47 PM

Re: Re: Dust on Black SE Dash

Originally posted by jjs

Keep a package of those "SWIFFER" towels in your car for this. Those things work great on floors, tables, lamps, tv's, AND inside the car!!

They are great for dash boards and getting those tiny little bits of dust and dirt out of the seams of leather seats.

i second that!
Swifters are the way to go
Old 07-26-2002, 02:20 PM

Armorall is a dust magnet. If you use it dilute with at least 50% water.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:49 PM

ALSO..

use the drapery attachment (ask your wife) on your vaccuum cleaner to remove the dust next time you wash the car. Works like magic.

Brian
Old 07-26-2002, 04:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Dust on Black SE Dash

Originally posted by Vadim

i second that!
Swifters are the way to go
I thought the dash dust problem was just me, but as usual the .ORG comes through again! I'll definitely try the SWIFFER idea, but how's the smell??
Old 07-26-2002, 04:14 PM
I miss the .org!

Swiffer wipes have no smell. Make sure you're using the dry swiffer wipes, not those wet ones.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:20 PM

I have a california duster that I got at Target for 10 bucks. It is a mini one that is made for the dash. I just keep it in the back seat and dust in the morning while my car warms up. Only takes a minute and there is no mess or nothing to run out of unlike the swifter wipes..
Old 07-26-2002, 04:25 PM
OG and counting...

I use my microfiber towel to get rid of the dust. Works like a charm.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by see5
Armorall is a dust magnet. If you use it dilute with at least 50% water.
I'll second that. Plus, I think Armorall hurts your dash in the long run. Just use warm water with a washcloth or maybe a litte Simple Green mixed with it.

Tony
Old 07-26-2002, 05:54 PM
I miss the .org!

Oh that California Car Duster thing? I've seen it before. Does it really work that good? How do you clean it? Is it made by the same company as that California Water Blade thing?
Old 07-26-2002, 06:01 PM

Stay away from the Armor All for sure. Save it for the tires. I took my car to a car wash and they Armor Alled everything inside the car so much that there were runs and drips of the crap everywhere!! Not only that, there were two huge smears of it on the inside of my windshield, one right in my light of sight. The plastic around the air vents and the window switches had what looked like huge grease blotches from it, like I just placed a piece of pizza on them. I was on my way to an appointment so I did not have time to go back to the car wash to complain, but I was so steamed!! When I got home I got out the soap and warm water and got it all washed off. I'll never have Armor All inside my car again...especially from someone at a friggen car wash!!
Old 07-26-2002, 06:13 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by TonyVQ
Stay away from the Armor All for sure. Save it for the tires. I took my car to a car wash and they Armor Alled everything inside the car so much that there were runs and drips of the crap everywhere!! Not only that, there were two huge smears of it on the inside of my windshield, one right in my light of sight. The plastic around the air vents and the window switches had what looked like huge grease blotches from it, like I just placed a piece of pizza on them. I was on my way to an appointment so I did not have time to go back to the car wash to complain, but I was so steamed!! When I got home I got out the soap and warm water and got it all washed off. I'll never have Armor All inside my car again...especially from someone at a friggen car wash!!
I love Armor All. I spray a wee bit into a damp wax applicator and it makes my dash shine. I have no problems with drips or anything with the damp applicator. And I have frost interior so you can't see dust.

If I had a black dash, I wouldn't use it.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Oh that California Car Duster thing? I've seen it before. Does it really work that good? How do you clean it? Is it made by the same company as that California Water Blade thing?
Are you talking about the interior California Car Duster or the exterior. I have both. I use the exterior one all the time...it works great. I don't care for the interior one as much b/c there are too many tight places it can't fit. I'm not sure how you clean them. I don't think you're supposed to. They advertise that the dirtier they are the better they work. And yes, it's the same company that makes the water blade...and I have that too.

Tony
Old 07-26-2002, 08:10 PM

thanks

I originally used armor all because the dash was dull almost like a flat black when i purchased the vehicle. The armor all gives it a nice appearance, except for the dust sticking to it. I tried the swifter thing but it didn't get the dust off. Maybee it didn't work because i used armor all 3 days ago...HMMMM...I guess I'll head to Target for the duster. Thanks all for input
Old 07-26-2002, 08:39 PM

Armorall comes in canisters now, wipes, like the Clorox things, etc. I think Armorall is great but you have to be careful and make sure you don't miss spots because it will show later and look terrible. The wipes are better than the spray though because the spray would get on things you didn't want it to (like the windows) and just be a PITA. The wipes seem to work out pretty well.To dust though, I use the Swifter sheets. I just LOVE those things in the house and in the car. This concludes shameless product plugs
Old 07-26-2002, 09:58 PM

For the dash...

Meguiar's #40, microfiber rags and the California Dash Duster.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:08 PM

Re: Dust on Black SE Dash

Yep...Swiffer Towels and/or a small California Duster for sure.
The 210MPH ShopVac blower doesn't do too bad either!

ADMAN
Old 07-26-2002, 11:24 PM

i hear you with that damn dust. i must clean my car just as much as the next guy and i cant take that dust off either.