5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

got spanked by an m3

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 06:18 PM

yeah its true...got killed by this kid in an m3 today...he turned right in front of me while i was stopped at a red light so i quickly caught up (in traffic)...we both turned onto the same main road (i was in front of him on the turn)...i floored it off the turn and once we hit about 50 he was next to me and he stayed fairly close until about 80 when he was about a car or two ahead...after that he started braking...i was in front of him at the next light and i did a crappy slow burnout that didn't help my speed at all (i was doing 1-2 shifting and missed my first shift...wasn't paying attention)...he passed me and was ahead by a few car lenghts...it was a last gen m3...92-99? i think..something like that...it was a blue 2 door...not sure about tranny or mods
Old 12-11-2000, 06:26 PM

I ran with one about a month ago on the hwy, and we were

dead even from 3rd till middle of 4th gear. If you have an auto that may have been the reason, also the slight burnout didn't help.
Old 12-11-2000, 06:37 PM

yeah, the burnout didn't help, the missed shift didn't help, and the fact that my system weighs 200lbs doesn't help...i also think the m3 may have been modded...not sure though...modded auto 5th gens are really not much slower than sticks...even stock...stick runs 14.9 (if you are a really good f*cking driver) and auto runs 15.4...0-60 auto @ 7.0 stick @ 6.7...not a huge difference

i murdered an is300 the other day...i don't really remember if i posted that yet...there was the driver in the is300 (just him alone) and i had 3 friends totaling 500lbs extra + my 200lb system...i still killed the is300...it was fairly even up until about 60 then i started gaining on him (i started behind him from a light)...around 80mph i was less than 5ft from his rear bumper...not too smart...i know...anyways, i finally passed this slow car in the left lane and switched over there and passed him...his ego was hurt after that and he wouldn't race again
Old 12-11-2000, 06:41 PM

I have yet to rave a IS300, but I did try keeping up with a

M5 and, well what can I say those things are BADAZZ, I could not even keep up in traffic, those things can move. But it was still a fun tag along.
Old 12-11-2000, 10:00 PM
CLIMAX

Watch out 4.....

The older M3 is fun to try and steal a win from but I wouldnt even think about playing with the NEW one that thing is a complete BADDA$$

Old 12-11-2000, 10:06 PM
Southpaw17

dude even with a sc u couldnt keep up with a m5 those things are 400 hp and r meant for speed. but for 70 k i get a viper.

DEBO

Old 12-11-2000, 10:13 PM
Wustylez

Originally posted by MrBurner
yeah, the burnout didn't help, the missed shift didn't help, and the fact that my system weighs 200lbs doesn't help...i also think the m3 may have been modded...not sure though...modded auto 5th gens are really not much slower than sticks...even stock...stick runs 14.9 (if you are a really good f*cking driver) and auto runs 15.4...0-60 auto @ 7.0 stick @ 6.7...not a huge difference

i murdered an is300 the other day...i don't really remember if i posted that yet...there was the driver in the is300 (just him alone) and i had 3 friends totaling 500lbs extra + my 200lb system...i still killed the is300...it was fairly even up until about 60 then i started gaining on him (i started behind him from a light)...around 80mph i was less than 5ft from his rear bumper...not too smart...i know...anyways, i finally passed this slow car in the left lane and switched over there and passed him...his ego was hurt after that and he wouldn't race again

I have a question, where did you get that 15.4 sec number from for auto 5th gen, i think most of us(auto owners) will disagree that number, it seems too fast for auto 5th gen max!!!!!!

Even Paul with 5th gen GXE (auto) had to manual shift to get that number with intake mod, how could you do that with stock max????

Interesting about your roadkills too....

Old 12-11-2000, 10:41 PM
Groundcntrl

that will teach ya

serves you right dude what did you expect? to win? LOL. it's ok though i'd probably do the same

Old 12-12-2000, 12:52 AM
DOM

I was wondering what the M3 power output was? If I remember right, it was 240 hp. Right? That isn't that much of a difference in power
Old 12-12-2000, 06:24 AM

the m3 is a lot lighter and bimmers are really efficient
Old 12-12-2000, 08:00 AM

Acctually the 2nd gen M3 wheighs close to 3150lbs. That's not far of the 3200 lbs that the maximas weigh. The differance is that the gearing on the M3 is higher (Short) than the max. which makes them a bit faster plus the 240 Hp and RWD helps them too.

So let's say you have a max with 222 Hp, 5sp, add a Intake for 5-6Hp, a Y-pipe for 8-10, and and exhaust for 7-9hp.... You'll have a good match up. oh and you might want to loose some weight....Carbon fiber Hood anyone?
Old 12-12-2000, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Maxx-s-ter
Acctually the 2nd gen M3 wheighs close to 3150lbs. That's not far of the 3200 lbs that the maximas weigh. The differance is that the gearing on the M3 is higher (Short) than the max. which makes them a bit faster plus the 240 Hp and RWD helps them too.

So let's say you have a max with 222 Hp, 5sp, add a Intake for 5-6Hp, a Y-pipe for 8-10, and and exhaust for 7-9hp.... You'll have a good match up. oh and you might want to loose some weight....Carbon fiber Hood anyone?
Have any of you guys actually driven one? Their 240 feels like about 260+. M3's are fast and if a maxima is keeping up with it the M3 is being driven pretty poorly. They are geared really high which is annoying but I have never seen a car in 5th gear react like they do to a little pedal pressure. Point: they are sports cars so it makes sense that the Maxima loses.

Old 12-12-2000, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Actually, a 5spd 2k with intake and y pipe and good driver is pretty much dead even with an M3. Madmax2k raced one at the track a while back and they were dead even in the 1/4 and beyond until they had to shut it down.
Old 12-12-2000, 12:32 PM

By the way, you'll get about 12 wheel hp with both intake and y pipe. At best the exhaust, even cat-back is going to get you only nominal gains.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
By the way, you'll get about 12 wheel hp with both intake and y pipe. At best the exhaust, even cat-back is going to get you only nominal gains.
Ummmmmm? so if you get "nominal gains" why would Nissan Market the I30 and the 20th AE as having 227hp, 5 more than the reg. maxima?

According to some one on this board, (if you are reading this back me up) Nissan said that the 5 hp comes from bigger diameter piping in the exhaust system, not the mufler.
Also Stillen would not sell a B-pipe if it did not make any diff.
Old 12-12-2000, 03:16 PM
Southpaw17

no lets assume the m3 is modded u better shoot some nitrous with a sc to keep up.

DEBO

Old 12-12-2000, 06:41 PM

w/ just a sc you can beat an older m3...once i get my 120 shot of nos installed, i will be able to beat new m3's (sc adds 90hp 2 wheels and makes 0-60 times in the 5s...120hp to wheels will put me in the 4s 0-60...just wait a couple months and i will get my NOS)...anyways...i wasn't sure about the weight thing so thats why i asked...bimmers are really efficient and a car of theirs that weighs the same or more w/ the same size engine could take a nissan...but we aren't arguing who is a better company (thats like arguing 2 things in completely different leagues)...my next car is the new m3 just to let everyone know
Old 12-12-2000, 07:07 PM
CLIMAX

don't do it.....

Are you aware of what extended use of NOS will do to your engine??

Old 12-12-2000, 09:09 PM

go pickup the newest super street...they have a lot of common misconceptions about nitrous...as long as you get it installed properly..and you have to get a few other things changed (spark plugs etc. etc.) it will make your engine last as long as it would have w/o nos...all the horror stories everyone hears about nos is becasue of improper installation or use...i've read about stock 300zx engines that have taken thousands of bottles of 100shot nos and they were in perfect condition
Old 12-12-2000, 09:52 PM

MR BURNER(KINDA OFF TOPIC)

WHAT EXACTLEY DID THEY DO TO TWEAK YOUR ENGINE DID IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND COULD YOU FIND OUT IF THEY COULD DO IT AGAIN TO OTHER MAXIMA'S.(COULD ANY DEALERSHIP DO THIS). THANKS ALOT DREAD.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:52 PM
CLIMAX

Personally.............

I have seen too many of my gear head friends ruin engines with NOS. These where cars that where built for this kind of abuse such as Novas and Camareos. But I may be mistaken I just wanted to give you a friendly warning

Old 12-13-2000, 05:57 AM

Ummmmmm? so if you get "nominal gains" why would Nissan Market the I30 and the 20th AE as having 227hp, 5 more than the reg. maxima?

According to some one on this board, (if you are reading this back me up) Nissan said that the 5 hp comes from bigger diameter piping in the exhaust system, not the mufler.
The reason I say nominal gains is because of the dyno testing done on my car. The Ypipe and Stillen intake combined gave me about 12 hp to the wheels. We then ran a dyno run with the exhaust after the cat dropped (just disconnected it). There was an additional gain of approximately 3 hp to the wheels. That is approximately 1.5% of the 222 stock and equates on a 5 speed to about 3.5hp at the crank. To me that is a nominal gain.

Nissan may well get 5 hp by changing the diameter of the exhaust but some/most of that gain may be lost on a car equipped with a y-pipe.

Finally, in my experience, just because some company sells a modification doesn't mean it has tremendous value.
Old 12-13-2000, 06:20 AM

Don't feel bad!!!.. there is no doubt in my mind that BMW makes among the best machines on this planet. Just think of how much more money you have in your pocket, for getting a Max instead of a BMW. And the fact that you even THOUGHT you had a chance against him with an Auto Max, speaks volumes about our confidence in our cars... (well, it's either confidence, or arrogant stupidity.. I'm an optimist)

yeah its true...got killed by this kid in an m3 today...he turned right in front of me while i was stopped at a red light so i quickly caught up (in traffic)...we both turned onto the same main road (i was in front of him on the turn)...i floored it off the turn and once we hit about 50 he was next to me and he stayed fairly close until about 80 when he was about a car or two ahead...after that he started braking...i was in front of him at the next light and i did a crappy slow burnout that didn't help my speed at all (i was doing 1-2 shifting and missed my first shift...wasn't paying attention)...he passed me and was ahead by a few car lenghts...it was a last gen m3...92-99? i think..something like that...it was a blue 2 door...not sure about tranny or mods
Old 12-13-2000, 06:32 AM

IS300

That will be a race...my friend has one and it DARTS off the line. It's amazing. Handles like an M3, too. Not for $34,000, but it's a nice car...
Old 12-13-2000, 08:01 AM

The reason I say nominal gains is because of the dyno testing done on my car. The Ypipe and Stillen intake combined gave me about 12 hp to the wheels. We then ran a dyno run with the exhaust after the cat dropped (just disconnected it). There was an additional gain of approximately 3 hp to the wheels. That is approximately 1.5% of the 222 stock and equates on a 5 speed to about 3.5hp at the crank. To me that is a nominal gain.

Nissan may well get 5 hp by changing the diameter of the exhaust but some/most of that gain may be lost on a car equipped with a y-pipe.

Finally, in my experience, just because some company sells a modification doesn't mean it has tremendous value.
How about Turbo magazine, they got 8 wheel Hp with the HKS exhaust, Did they not do it right? or are they blowing hot air out their ***? I've read your post and seen your dyno sheets, I just have a hard time believing that the exhaust makes only 3+ HP, specially when I look at how crimped and small the diameter of the piping is.
Old 12-13-2000, 08:22 AM

How about Turbo magazine, they got 8 wheel Hp with the HKS exhaust, Did they not do it right? or are they blowing hot air out their ***? I've read your post and seen your dyno sheets, I just have a hard time believing that the exhaust makes only 3+ HP, specially when I look at how crimped and small the diameter of the piping is.
Entirely possible I'm wrong. That's just what the disconnected exhaust showed on my dyno. If Turbo got 8 wheel hp from the cat-back then there is obviously substance to that claim.