5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Turbo kit for 5th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turbo kit for 5th gens?

So I have had many many requests for 5th gen turbo kit. Unfortunately, I have a 4th gen, that's why it hasn't come through yet. If anyone is willing to give their car up for 3-4 weeks (I know it's a long time), we could put one on and the shop would probably be willing to give a really good discount. I have not put this idea forward to them, but the way the 4th gen kits have been selling, I think they would be willing to invest in this.

If you're interested, please email me

Thanks!

Nigel
Old 07-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Unfortunately I'm not in the position to do this right now but to give others an idea, what would be the total cost? Do you prefer a car with specific mods going into this? If so what mods?

This is my favorite thread in my 2 years here at the .Org

Someone with the funds and a 2nd car PLEASE step up!!
Old 07-28-2002, 12:31 PM

Re: Turbo kit for 5th gens?

Originally posted by turbo97SE
So I have had many many requests for 5th gen turbo kit. Unfortunately, I have a 4th gen, that's why it hasn't come through yet. If anyone is willing to give their car up for 3-4 weeks (I know it's a long time), we could put one on and the shop would probably be willing to give a really good discount. I have not put this idea forward to them, but the way the 4th gen kits have been selling, I think they would be willing to invest in this.

Thanks!

Nigel
sounds good to me ....where u located?
Old 07-28-2002, 12:33 PM

Re: Re: Turbo kit for 5th gens?

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

sounds good to me ....where u located?
CO
Old 07-28-2002, 02:09 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Turbo kit for 5th gens?

Thanks!

Nigel
How good of a discount? I'm in Arizona and I could possibly work out a carpool situation for a month or so with my girlfriend. If it is a HUGE discount, I think it would be well worth it....
Old 07-28-2002, 02:11 PM

By the way, what happens if you blow up my engine? Or scratch my wheels?
Old 07-28-2002, 02:38 PM

I just talked to my girlfriend and we can carpool for that amount of time. The only questions I have at this point are the following:

1. Cost
2. Performance gains
3. Warranty/Repairs to the turbo kit since I am in AZ
4. What else could potentially get damaged in the long run?

Cost is by far the biggest concern because I have a dumb, gay wedding coming up. But I could drive up to CO, meet you at the airport and hop on a $59 flight back. I would buy a round trip ticket, so I would need to know a definite date to return to CO in advance.

Let me know......
Old 07-28-2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by asu174
I just talked to my girlfriend and we can carpool for that amount of time. The only questions I have at this point are the following:

1. Cost
2. Performance gains
3. Warranty/Repairs to the turbo kit since I am in AZ
4. What else could potentially get damaged in the long run?

Cost is by far the biggest concern because I have a dumb, gay wedding coming up. But I could drive up to CO, meet you at the airport and hop on a $59 flight back. I would buy a round trip ticket, so I would need to know a definite date to return to CO in advance.

Let me know......
Let me answer a couple of questions.

1. Cost has not been established yet because I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to do this. I will go to the shop tomorrow and ask.

2. Performance gains can vary depending on the condition of the car and any existing mods on the car. Bigger exhaust will yield higher gains. I had CAI and y-pipe when I first dynoed, yielded 176 HP 190 lb-ft. At 4 psi with the turbo I got 267 HP and similar torque and at 9 psi 352 HP and 349 lb-ft torque (all to the wheels) I have a 4th gen.

3. Warranty and repairs is an extremely difficult question to answer. Premature parts failure due to manufacturer's defects are covered. Blown engines are unforutnately not covered. It is too easy to turn up the boost and blow the engine. It's like asking someone to install NOS and guaranteeing that your engine will not blow up in the near or long term. A shop may do it and put a 10 shot for safety. This mod is not for the faint hearted. it yields incredible gain, but just like any other mod has risks. If you use it sensibly (like NOS) your engine will come to no harm. I am currently trying to design a fail-safe device that will shut things down if boost gets too high, but still could be bypassed.

4. In the near to long term, depending on how much boost you intend to run, your clutch (or tranny if you are auto) will go. That's been my experience. My compression hasn't suffered any ... yet but could potentially in the long term.

Again, I want to stress, this is not for the faint-hearted. If you want zero risk, don't boost in any form. I have known of S/C and many instances of NOS where people have blown their engines, this is no different. If you have the appropriate warning gauges to monitor everything, you will minimize this risk (boost gauge, EGT, fuel pressure).
Old 07-28-2002, 09:13 PM

This kit sounds very intersting! Will it be priced in the 4-5K range like on the 4th gens? If I went with a T3 turbo would the price be any cheaper? I'm no turbo expert BTW
Old 07-28-2002, 09:14 PM

1. Cost has not been established yet because I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to do this. I will go to the shop tomorrow and ask.

2. Performance gains can vary depending on the condition of the car and any existing mods on the car. Bigger exhaust will yield higher gains. I had CAI and y-pipe when I first dynoed, yielded 176 HP 190 lb-ft. At 4 psi with the turbo I got 267 HP and similar torque and at 9 psi 352 HP and 349 lb-ft torque (all to the wheels) I have a 4th gen.

3. Warranty and repairs is an extremely difficult question to answer. Premature parts failure due to manufacturer's defects are covered. Blown engines are unforutnately not covered. It is too easy to turn up the boost and blow the engine. It's like asking someone to install NOS and guaranteeing that your engine will not blow up in the near or long term. A shop may do it and put a 10 shot for safety. This mod is not for the faint hearted. it yields incredible gain, but just like any other mod has risks. If you use it sensibly (like NOS) your engine will come to no harm. I am currently trying to design a fail-safe device that will shut things down if boost gets too high, but still could be bypassed.

4. In the near to long term, depending on how much boost you intend to run, your clutch (or tranny if you are auto) will go. That's been my experience. My compression hasn't suffered any ... yet but could potentially in the long term.

Again, I want to stress, this is not for the faint-hearted. If you want zero risk, don't boost in any form. I have known of S/C and many instances of NOS where people have blown their engines, this is no different. If you have the appropriate warning gauges to monitor everything, you will minimize this risk (boost gauge, EGT, fuel pressure).
Still interested. Find out the cost and let me know. I most certainly would not "over-boost". Give me a ballpark cost will all of the gauges, etc...... I'd rather have the gauge panel in the glovebox though if that is at all possible.......
Old 07-28-2002, 09:17 PM

By the way, I am a 2000 Cal spec SE 5 speed.

Mod list:
Berk intake
Frankencar midpipe
Stillen Y pipe
2 1/2" Catback w/ Fucuz Muffler

Again, cost will be the biggest hinderance, so don't get ****ed if I can't do it after you ask your work....... SOMEONE will do it.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by emax95
This kit sounds very intersting! Will it be priced in the 4-5K range like on the 4th gens? If I went with a T3 turbo would the price be any cheaper? I'm no turbo expert BTW
price should be similar. T3 turbos are indeed cheaper, the T3/T4 is more expensive because it is a hybrid. A lot of people think T3.T4 is cheaper than T4/TO4E. T3 is too small for 3.0L
Old 07-28-2002, 10:00 PM

By the way, I am a 2000 Cal spec SE 5 speed.

Mod list:
Berk intake
Frankencar midpipe
Stillen Y pipe
2 1/2" Catback w/ Fucuz Muffler

Again, cost will be the biggest hinderance, so don't get ****ed if I can't do it after you ask your work....... SOMEONE will do it.
If you don't do it, I am sure someone will! Heck, I may even trade mine and do it! A 2K3 would be nice!
Old 07-28-2002, 10:39 PM

Turbo'en a 2k2 sign me up i cant drive my car for a few months anyway i'm in Kuwait. even if i'm not the first i still would like to have it done. Give me a way to contact you and we can see what we can do.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:17 PM

Question: Are you looking to turbo a 5th from '00-'01? Or a '02-'03? B/c I would think the turbo kit would be diffrent since its diffrent engines?
Old 07-29-2002, 05:39 AM

price should be similar. T3 turbos are indeed cheaper, the T3/T4 is more expensive because it is a hybrid. A lot of people think T3.T4 is cheaper than T4/TO4E. T3 is too small for 3.0L
That's what I figured....count me out.. Do the dude's in Kuwait.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:04 AM

Actually, gimmie a price first and I'll see if I can swing it...but not looking likely.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:50 AM

Hi

I am talking about the kit price in mass production. The discounted deal should be less.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:19 AM

Hi

I am talking about the kit price in mass production. The discounted deal should be less.
Then I am definitely still in the running. Let me know.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:12 AM

What town in CO is this shop located?
Old 07-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

turbo97SE, has anyone stepped up for this yet? Cmon guys, out of all the 5th Gen turbo promises I believe this guy the most. He got it done for the 4th Geners. I can't believe the lack of interest for boost here
Old 07-30-2002, 07:04 PM

Hi guys

I spoke to the owner yesterday. They are interested, but usually the first car is the most expensive to do. I had a hard time convincing them to invest in this. I had to pay quite a lot more for mine than the current kits are selling for just because of the time and effort they had to put in to get the first one done.

They did agree to about a $500 discount in price for the first kit compared to the rest of the kits that they will produce for 5th gens. I don't know what the major differences between 5th gens and 4th gens are. Can someone help me out here? I think there is little difference between the 2K and 2K1 and the 4th gens. The 2K2+ are probably more significantly different.

The most important things we are concerned about are MAF and compression ratio, Y pipe style and engine orientation and space. I have looked at 2K but they look very similar to me. Please help me out here.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:14 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hi guys

I spoke to the owner yesterday. They are interested, but usually the first car is the most expensive to do. I had a hard time convincing them to invest in this. I had to pay quite a lot more for mine than the current kits are selling for just because of the time and effort they had to put in to get the first one done.

They did agree to about a $500 discount in price for the first kit compared to the rest of the kits that they will produce for 5th gens. I don't know what the major differences between 5th gens and 4th gens are. Can someone help me out here? I think there is little difference between the 2K and 2K1 and the 4th gens. The 2K2+ are probably more significantly different.

The most important things we are concerned about are MAF and compression ratio, Y pipe style and engine orientation and space. I have looked at 2K but they look very similar to me. Please help me out here.
Why don't you wait (edited for spelling mistake) a little on this, Nigel? You should know what I'm referring to.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by NuJerseyDrive
turbo97SE, has anyone stepped up for this yet? Cmon guys, out of all the 5th Gen turbo promises I believe this guy the most. He got it done for the 4th Geners. I can't believe the lack of interest for boost here
Hey I already pm turbo97SE, I dont know how much the kit would go but, I worth to wait and see.

Cheers

AA
Old 07-31-2002, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Why don't you wait (edited for spelling mistake) a little on this, Nigel? You should know what I'm referring to.
OK, I get it! I am wondering if I would get good feedback though!
Old 07-31-2002, 07:59 PM

OK, I get it! I am wondering if I would get good feedback though!
sounds like some top secret stuff is going on here

--mmmmmmmh is kev going turbo
Old 07-31-2002, 09:11 PM

The 4th gen kit may be almost a direct bolt on for the 00-01. The headers are the same and everything mechanical is almost identicle. The TB may be in a slitely different location but that about it. The 2002's only difference is again a different locatin for the TB. The 4th gen headers work on the 2002 (I have one on). Also the 2002 lacks a fuel return line but that can easaly be fixed.

Just some food for thought, I hope to see this kit come to life.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by emax95
I hope to see this kit come to life.
I second that....
Old 08-01-2002, 06:37 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

OK, I get it! I am wondering if I would get good feedback though! ;-)

Old 08-01-2002, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE