5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sunroof Wind Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 03:41 PM

Sunroof Wind Deflector

What does everyone think of this piece of plastic that sits on the roofs of some of our Maxima's? I have a Black 2K2 SE with it on. I was thinking about removing it but wanted the opions of my other maxima enthusiasts before i made the move. Please reply.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Sunroof Wind Deflector

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pmas76
[B]What does everyone think of this piece of plastic that sits on the roofs of some of our Maxima's? I have a Black 2K2 SE with it on. I was thinking about removing it but wanted the opions of my other maxima enthusiasts before i made the move. Please reply.

don't leave it on too long or you will have marks in your paint I took mine of the next day.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by pmas76
What does everyone think of this piece of plastic that sits on the roofs of some of our Maxima's? I have a Black 2K2 SE with it on. I was thinking about removing it but wanted the opions of my other maxima enthusiasts before i made the move. Please reply.
I personally did not like the look of it since it seemed to destroy the smoothness of the lines. IT does not make any difference with it on or not. In fact I believe the wind noise went down once I took it off. But yeah you should take it off as soon as possible because it does leave marks in the clear coat.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:16 PM

I don't like them

I had it on my 94 Maxima and I really didn't like it on that car either. It was such a pain to detail that area. Same thing for my 2000. The wind deflector just doesn't add anything extra or special to the car. Surely not appearance wise. But that's just my .02
Old 07-30-2002, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by pmas76
Don't get me started about that piece of crap wind thingy.

Do yourself a favor, remove it now before it marks your roof.

Mine = garbage....been happy ever since.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:34 PM
AIX

you should check out another thread about the deflectors that's presently active - if you read the posts in that thread, you'll be able to read about all the cons about deflectors
Old 07-30-2002, 02:49 PM

Ok, I'm going to go against the grain here and disagree with the consensus; I like mine.

I will AGREE however, that they DO leave marks on the clearcoat (hell, what DOESN'T on these things??!).

I took mine off the first week I had my car and it was already marred.

I will say that I rode around with it off for a week, and it DOES REDUCE wind noise & buffeting at HIGHWAY SPEEDS.

Don't believe me? Remove it yourself and try it out for a while -- it's easy with a phillips screwdriver and a wrench (forget the size).

my 2c.

GR

BTW-- 2k2's have a dealer recall on this part as they were either improperly installed somewhere along the way (or defective - not sure) and are being replaced due to cracking.
Noticed mine after removal -- call your dealer.
Could be regional too - I live in Atlanta.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:54 PM
I miss the .org!

All I know is that mine was cracked when I took delivery of the vehicle, so I'm taking it in to have it looked at and hopefully replaced.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:59 PM

Dealer told me that they would re-order new part due to cracking at no charge.

Seems to be a serious back-order since there were (alledgedly) so many defects/problems, so it may take a while to arrive.

If what i was told was true, you should have no problems with a free replacement.

Good luck.

GR
Old 07-30-2002, 06:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got my wind deflector when I ordered the car. I find that it does noticeably reduce wind roar and buffeting. Even at 130mph...
Old 07-30-2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
All I know is that mine was cracked when I took delivery of the vehicle, so I'm taking it in to have it looked at and hopefully replaced.
The freshalloy.com long-term Max had the same problem...

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/....22/home.shtml

Old 08-19-2002, 10:56 PM

removed mine

I removed the wind deflector off my 02 and unfortunately, I have marks on my clear coat. I liked the looks of it, but find no significant difference in wind buffeting. I think it did help some, but for me, I prefer the clear, unobstructed view out the roof more than the incremental value of the reduced wind buffeting. BTW, my deflector is for sale to the highest bidder...just listed it on Ebay tonight.

srm
Old 08-20-2002, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by tomcat

Took mine in today for cracking. They didn't have any in stock to replace so it is on order... No Charge. No questions. and as usual with my dealer...no Fight.

Tomcat
I had the same problem after 30 miles on my car. Took it into the dealer, ordered, and fixed all under warranty so no charge. I was out a week later, and saw another max with the same problem. Just take the stupid thing off.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:15 AM

hmmm...

Originally posted by Eleebob7

I had the same problem after 30 miles on my car. Took it into the dealer, ordered, and fixed all under warranty so no charge. I was out a week later, and saw another max with the same problem. Just take the stupid thing off.

what did they say your warranty on that dang part was? I was told 1yr/12k miles from a dealer i had mine replaced the first time. It came with the car from the factory so it should be 3yr/36k miles...
My current one (the second one)is already showing some cracks...
Old 08-20-2002, 09:49 AM

I looked high and low to find my 2K2 without the deflector. I finally found one.
1) I think it detracts from the looks
2) Hard to keep area underneath of the deflector clean
and 3)it really doesn't minimize air turbulence in the vehicle

(just another gimmick to make more money for Nissan)
Old 08-20-2002, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Mark S.
I looked high and low to find my 2K2 without the deflector. I finally found one.
1) I think it detracts from the looks
2) Hard to keep area underneath of the deflector clean
and 3)it really doesn't minimize air turbulence in the vehicle

(just another gimmick to make more money for Nissan)
1) Very debatable
2) True, but it's one of those things you put on, and leave on. Once you bolt it into place, you're stuck with it.
3) Yes, I think it does. I did an experiment last night. First, I took it off. I have a 2k, and it's been on their since day 1. Yep, it marred the paint. You wouldn't know it unless you looked for it though.

I drove the interstate with it up, down, shade open, closed, etc. I went home, put it on, and did the same thing. It makes a difference.

If you don't think it makes a difference for you, that's cool. But, the point (partially) of this mod is for the comfort of your backseat passengers. In this case, it make a huge difference.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by ghostrider17
Ok, I'm going to go against the grain here and disagree with the consensus; I like mine.

I will AGREE however, that they DO leave marks on the clearcoat (hell, what DOESN'T on these things??!).

I took mine off the first week I had my car and it was already marred.

I will say that I rode around with it off for a week, and it DOES REDUCE wind noise & buffeting at HIGHWAY SPEEDS.

Don't believe me? Remove it yourself and try it out for a while -- it's easy with a phillips screwdriver and a wrench (forget the size).

my 2c.

GR

BTW-- 2k2's have a dealer recall on this part as they were either improperly installed somewhere along the way (or defective - not sure) and are being replaced due to cracking.
Noticed mine after removal -- call your dealer.
Could be regional too - I live in Atlanta.
I agree it does make a big difference especially at highway speeds, the difference being for the better.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:10 PM

IT'S A POS AND I'M ****ED.

I took mine off over the weekend and it also messed up my paint. It left indentions in the clear coat where the rubber was. I have my car at the dealer today for an SES and to have this exact thing looked at. The service guy told me they would have to wet sand and repaint the whole roof to fix it which will F'up the resale value on the car. What a load of BS. This is a factory F'up that should be covered by Nissan. It was put on the car before the clear coat was cured. No I'm not having them fix it yet but I'm going to raise hell when I pick the car up!

I also think it detracks the looks of the car and I have never liked them. It used to be an option that you could buy after the purchase of the car and should have stayed that way! As for the wind noise and back seat passenger comfort all you have to do when you have the sun roof open is crack the rear door windows to cancle out the pressure difference and the problem is solved.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:44 PM

Re: hmmm...

1 yr isn't it just the drivetrain that is 3 yrs?

Originally posted by koostermax

what did they say your warranty on that dang part was? I was told 1yr/12k miles from a dealer i had mine replaced the first time. It came with the car from the factory so it should be 3yr/36k miles...
My current one (the second one)is already showing some cracks...
Old 08-20-2002, 05:29 PM
I miss the .org!

I just checked again today, and the Sunroof Wind Deflector is still on National Backorder. I don't like the way it looks on my car, but I do appreciate the functionality of it. I think I'm gonna keep it, once I get the new one.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:39 PM

Well I got there after most of the service guys were gone but the service manager was still there. They buffed out a spot on the back bumper very nicely. As for the the code on the SES they have to replace a sensor, guess what backorder lol.
But he totally agreed with me about the clear coat damage from the deflector. He said he would talk to the district manager tomarrow and that Nissan would likely take care of it, we'll see. Nice guy though. This is a new dealer only been open 8mos. So I'll keep my fingers crossed.