5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SE vs GLE Suspension Almost the same!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 03:19 PM

SE vs GLE Suspension Almost the same!

I was able to get some information from Courtesy Nissan on the similarity or differences of the 2k2 and 2k3 SE vs GLE suspension. I didn't ask about the GXE.
Indeed, the front struts and springs are the *same* as the GLE. The only difference is between the SE auto and 6 speed where the manual's springs are a little lighter due to decreased weight of the transmission. In the rear, the SE struts are the *same* as the GLE but the rear springs on the SE are stiffer. The SE's front sway bar is of course heavier duty.
Not real impressive of Nissan to pass off the SE with the GLE's suspension except for the rear springs and front sway bar.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: SE vs GLE Suspension Almost the same!

Originally posted by nick778
In the rear, the SE struts are the *same* as the GLE but the rear springs on the SE are stiffer.
hmmm....could it be the reason that some SE bottoms out a lot over bumps?

just took a look at the OEM parts list for 2k and 2k1..SE and GLE/GXE have different part no. for rear shock/spring/strut mount.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:58 PM

I was able to get some information from Courtesy Nissan on the similarity or differences of the 2k2 and 2k3 SE vs GLE suspension. I didn't ask about the GXE.
Indeed, the front struts and springs are the *same* as the GLE. The only difference is between the SE auto and 6 speed where the manual's springs are a little lighter due to decreased weight of the transmission. In the rear, the SE struts are the *same* as the GLE but the rear springs on the SE are stiffer. The SE's front sway bar is of course heavier duty.
Not real impressive of Nissan to pass off the SE with the GLE's suspension except for the rear springs and front sway bar.
Thank you Nick for getting this information and posting it. I was at work when I started my other thread and now that I finally pull out my 02 brochure that is exactly what it says on the last page under Suspension and Steering "Sport-tuned suspension - higher rear spring rate; thicker front stabilizer bar (SE)" As this is my 3rd Max I took it for granted that it would be similar to my other 2. My bad for not reading all the fine print.

Maxi-overdose I will just have to take it easy until I have the cash for my next mod
Old 07-30-2002, 04:30 PM

Re: Re: SE vs GLE Suspension Almost the same!

Originally posted by maximaman777

Thank you Nick for getting this information and posting it. I was at work when I started my other thread and now that I finally pull out my 02 brochure that is exactly what it says on the last page under Suspension and Steering "Sport-tuned suspension - higher rear spring rate; thicker front stabilizer bar (SE)" As this is my 3rd Max I took it for granted that it would be similar to my other 2. My bad for not reading all the fine print.

Maxi-overdose I will just have to take it easy until I have the cash for my next mod
kinda surprised me that they increase the spring rate but didnt use a stronger shock to dampen it. hmmmm......well, AGX and Koni for 5th gen are coming out soon....so by the time, you will have plenty of options.
Old 07-30-2002, 04:47 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Re: Re: SE vs GLE Suspension Almost the same!

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]

kinda surprised me that they increase the spring rate but didnt use a stronger shock to dampen it. hmmmm......well, AGX and Koni for 5th gen are coming out soon....so by the time, you will have plenty of options.
Soon? How about over a year away....
Old 07-30-2002, 04:49 PM
I miss the .org!

Re: Re: Re: SE vs GLE Suspension Almost the same!

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
well, AGX and Koni for 5th gen are coming out soon....so by the time, you will have plenty of options.
How soon is soon? From what I've been hearing, it's still a ways off...
Old 07-31-2002, 08:06 AM

The 2000 SE's also have 2 body stiffening bars that can be seen through the front grill. They go from about the lights down to the center of the framing, making a wide V shape.

There was a thread on this a while ago, with pics. If I can get my hand on a digi-cam and figure out how to post pics I may just post new ones.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:49 AM

koni has the catalog out for 5th gen max already....part no. still TBA.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:00 PM

always thout they had the same springs, only diff was that the SE's had tokico struts
Old 08-01-2002, 03:51 AM

My butt agrees - compared to my 2kse the 2k2se rear shocks felt dead! Too bad Nissan caved in to milktoast drivers.