5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

help....how do i fix paint scratch

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 09:20 AM

damn garage door came down on my bumper because i did'nt have tit in all the way geeze. It hit on that line that comes down from the tail light and left about a 3/4" long scratch. So could i maybe tape around the scratch and maybe wet sand it and touch it up. It's not serious enough to take to a body shop and most people would'nt notice it but, I know it's there and it effin bugs me. Thanks in advance
Old 12-12-2000, 01:37 PM
Got Bent?

If it is not a deep scratch, start off by using a very mild polish to see if that will take it off. Then try the harsher stuff. Sanding should be leftas a last resort type thing if the milder solution does not work.
Old 12-12-2000, 05:39 PM

Try a "hand" foam pad and Meguiars swirl remover. It's incredible. If you have one, it works better with an orbital buffer, again foam pad. It's brought my blood pressure down several times...
Old 12-12-2000, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by silvermaxd
damn garage door came down on my bumper because i did'nt have tit in all the way geeze. It hit on that line that comes down from the tail light and left about a 3/4" long scratch. So could i maybe tape around the scratch and maybe wet sand it and touch it up. It's not serious enough to take to a body shop and most people would'nt notice it but, I know it's there and it effin bugs me. Thanks in advance
I wouldn't recommend that you use a orbitor on the bumper, because a user who is inexperinced using the buffer could burn your paint and that means bye bye paint hello steel. No offense to the guy who said to use a buffer. I've seen it too many times. I would try using like the other guy said a swirl remover first and as a last resort use a buffer, but sanding it should be out of the question.(Thats too much work) I recommend using this system called Pro products. They make awesome waxes and stuff. Thank God that your car's not black!
Old 12-13-2000, 06:29 AM

well guy's it kinda crinkled the paint so i don't think waxing will help. Buffing might work but I think it would be tuff to buff such a small area. I guess i'll get some kind of pad that i can use by hand and just try rubbing out as much as i can. Gawd don't ya hate it when ya f'up your car yourself.
Old 12-13-2000, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by silvermaxd
well guy's it kinda crinkled the paint so i don't think waxing will help. Buffing might work but I think it would be tuff to buff such a small area. I guess i'll get some kind of pad that i can use by hand and just try rubbing out as much as i can. Gawd don't ya hate it when ya f'up your car yourself.
Well, since you put it that way, forget trying to wax or buff it the paint's gone. Its going to have to be painted or professionally done (body shop)