5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

No C.A.R.B. Approval on Stillen Intake . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just got off the phone with Stillen. Their intake system is NOT C.A.R.B. approved for 5th Generation Maximas. (Actually, it's not C.A.R.B. approved for 1999 4th Generation Maximas either.) Stillen said that their intake system and their SC are being reviewed for C.A.R.B. approval right now, but they figured it would take at least 5 to 6 months before the approvals were issued.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:14 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hehehe... that's what they said when I asked them in June.
Old 12-12-2000, 03:50 PM
dvyuan

Doesn't K&M make a C.A.R.B approved filter charger kit?

Old 12-12-2000, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Excuse me for not knowing, but what the hell is CARB? I have a stillen intake in my new 2K max. What does this mean?
Old 12-12-2000, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by CIRCO
Excuse me for not knowing, but what the hell is CARB? I have a stillen intake in my new 2K max. What does this mean?
California Air Resource Board. They fall under EPA and write smore regulations regarding air pollution. EPA regulates everything (including CARB).

CARB will assing an exempt Order # to aftermarket manufacturers who submit parts for their aproval. There fore CARB approved. In CA. you must have the part approved and a stamp on the part itself to pass visual inspection, most aftermarket mods will pass the sniff test but will not pass the visual.
Old 12-12-2000, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Maxx-s-ter
Originally posted by CIRCO
California Air Resource Board. They fall under EPA and write smore regulations regarding air pollution. EPA regulates everything (including CARB).

CARB will assing an exempt Order # to aftermarket manufacturers who submit parts for their aproval. There fore CARB approved. In CA. you must have the part approved and a stamp on the part itself to pass visual inspection, most aftermarket mods will pass the sniff test but will not pass the visual.

Thanks for the info, I guess it does not apply to me here in Hawaii. Thanks anyway for the fyi!
Old 12-12-2000, 06:29 PM

No problem Y2KevSE . . .

I trust Stillen about as far as I can throw them. On the other hand, several more years will pass before my Max has to go in for a smog cert. I suspect Stillen will have their C.A.R.B. certification by then. On the other hand, JWT has never gotten any of their Popchargers C.A.R.B. certified. So I guess I'll pay the extra $42.00 for the Stillen Intake and roll the dice.
Old 12-19-2000, 11:43 AM

The SI has NOT been submitted for C.A.R.B. approval . . .

I sent an e-mail to my salesperson at Stillen. My question was whether the SI for the 2000 Nissan Maxima had been submitted for C.A.R.B. approval. This was his response:

"Unfortunatly the intake is not carb approved yet. I have no idea when it will go through the carb process or what the time frame is for sending the unit to carb."

So it appears that Stillen has not been telling the truth about seeking C.A.R.B. approval for the SI for 5th Gen Maximas. I suspect the same holds true for the supercharger.
Old 12-19-2000, 01:01 PM

Dood, Stillen is such a turd. I'm not putting anything Stillen on my car. Overpriced parts and misleading information/lies suck.
Old 12-19-2000, 09:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WHAT THE HELL?

i SWEAR!!!
this guy name Andrew Johnson...who works at the Stillen told me that the intakes were C.A.R.B approved!!!
that's why i swapped out the old intake for the pricey Stillen ones~~
and if you guys are telling the truth, then what the hell??
****!!!!!!!#@!$#@@#$#@%%$

Originally posted by y2kse
I just got off the phone with Stillen. Their intake system is NOT C.A.R.B. approved for 5th Generation Maximas. (Actually, it's not C.A.R.B. approved for 1999 4th Generation Maximas either.) Stillen said that their intake system and their SC are being reviewed for C.A.R.B. approval right now, but they figured it would take at least 5 to 6 months before the approvals were issued.
Old 12-20-2000, 07:39 AM

irvine78 . . .

The SI is C.A.R.B. certified for 4th Gen Maximas but not for 5th Gen Maximas. Stillen says so right in their catalog. Nevertheless, I'd recommend that you stick with your SI for one simple reason. No other aftermarket intake for the Maxima is or has ever been C.A.R.B. certified. At least you've got a chance that your SI may become C.A.R.B. certified some day.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-20-2000 at 09:49 AM]
Old 12-20-2000, 11:19 AM

y2kse

The SI is C.A.R.B. certified for 4th Gen Maximas but not for 5th Gen Maximas. Stillen says so right in their catalog. Nevertheless, I'd recommend that you stick with your SI for one simple reason. No other aftermarket intake for the Maxima is or has ever been C.A.R.B. certified. At least you've got a chance that your SI may become C.A.R.B. certified some day.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-20-2000 at 09:49 AM]
well, i don't care what it says in their catalogue...
cuz i didnt' mail order my intake, i called before i went to pick it up. the thing that pisses me off the most is that i've been given wrong information about the product OVER THE PHONE by a SALES REPRESENTATIVE......who should know that if their product is C.A.R.B. certified or NOT!!!

anywayz...i'm gonna have to call STILLEN and give'em HELL..

OH....so in the future(hopefully a near future), if the SI receives the C.A.R.B. certification, does that mean ours also automatically become C.A.R.B. legal? do we owe Stillen extra cash for that sticker?

Old 12-20-2000, 12:03 PM

maybe this is not quite appropriate for this thread, but i was just wondering how much it would cost me to get the intake+install(or could i just do it myself?). i know this is prolly illegal and all... just wondering.

oh, and also, if you need to get the car smogged, there's a couple places in LA that i know of that can pass you.... hehe...
Old 12-20-2000, 12:28 PM

EZz!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by areX
maybe this is not quite appropriate for this thread, but i was just wondering how much it would cost me to get the intake+install(or could i just do it myself?). i know this is prolly illegal and all... just wondering.

oh, and also, if you need to get the car smogged, there's a couple places in LA that i know of that can pass you.... hehe...
putting in an intake is so easy you can do it yourself..
for stillen Hi-Flow intake, it'll run you about $177 for the kit and the support mount..about $190 after tax...
but i hear that if you go to Stillen during the Maxima open house, you can get an used intake for about $50 or so...
and uh, don't hire someone else to do the install for you.
i mean, this intake thing is a real do-able job..even if you're not a mechanic.

-peace
Old 12-20-2000, 12:33 PM

sankyoo

hmm... know when the next open house is?
Old 12-20-2000, 12:36 PM

www.stillen.com

Originally posted by areX
hmm... know when the next open house is?
check this out...this might be the best way to find out the next Stillen open house...

or if you can't find it, give them a ring!!!

-peace
Old 12-20-2000, 01:39 PM

irvine78 . . .

Lemme know how your conversation goes with Stillen. My suspicion is that your salesperson will probably deny having told you that the SI was C.A.R.B. certified for your 2K Max. If he doesn't deny it, make him eat it!

By the way, areX, you can purchase a new SI from Phuong (gr_racing@yahoo.com) for $164.00 including shipping. But given the bullsh*t we've received from Stillen, you might want to purchase the JWT Popcharger instead. Phuong's got those for $122.00 including shipping.
Old 12-21-2000, 09:54 AM

Hey Y2K......it sounds like we have very similiar cars. What kind of rims and tires do you have?? Ill keep my eyes open for you around LA. I live in Burbank. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2000, 03:52 PM

I've got the stock 17" tires and rims that came with my SE, Dave. I live in Arcadia. I'll keep an eye out for ya!
Old 12-21-2000, 04:34 PM

EAST SIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDEEEEEEEEE

wassaaaaabbbbeee - oh im sorry thats right i dont have to worry about CALI emissions, or any emissions for the time being.
Old 12-21-2000, 05:09 PM

Way to go, Stillnmax . . .

By the way, if you can figure out a way for us Californians to get around our state's emission laws, please be sure to drop us a line!
Old 12-21-2000, 07:52 PM

register your car in another state =P
Old 12-21-2000, 08:23 PM

uh...DUH~~~

Originally posted by Stillnmax
register your car in another state =P
uh....that's real SMART now....

-peace