5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Clay Bar Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 02:03 PM

My Clay Bar Experience

I'm trying to sell my '95 Accord. So, I go out and buy the Clay Magic kit.

I gotta be honest folks; it looks the same as it did before. I don't get the hype at all. Maybe, just maybe, I can see wasting..err...spending your time doing this if the finish on your car totally sucks. But, IMHO, if you take even the MINIMUM required care for your car, this whole process shouldn't really be necessary.

On the other hand, I also bought Meguires deep crystal paint cleaner, polish and wax. Now that stuff made a HUGE difference. Got out the little scratches, cleaned up the paint and added a great shine. This was worth the time and efforrt, and I will use it on my Max.

The clay bar however, I will have to give a thumbs down.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:08 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

you only need to use it if you run your hands across the paint and it's not silky smooth. Most cars aren't.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:58 PM

Re: My Clay Bar Experience

Originally posted by jjames

I gotta be honest folks; it looks the same as it did before. I don't get the hype at all. Maybe, just maybe, I can see wasting..err...spending your time doing this if the finish on your car totally sucks. But, IMHO, if you take even the MINIMUM required care for your car, this whole process shouldn't really be necessary.

On the other hand, I also bought Meguires deep crystal paint cleaner, polish and wax. Now that stuff made a HUGE difference. Got out the little scratches, cleaned up the paint and added a great shine. This was worth the time and efforrt, and I will use it on my Max.

I had a totally different experience than you. The paint was super smooth after I clayed. It also sets up a good foundation to lay the wax and polish on and prevents you from sealing any junk under the wax.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

worked wonders on my 85 volvo and 93 altima.
Jae
Old 08-11-2002, 04:46 PM

i think i know what you're going through. i clay bared my wife's civic. the paint is kind of rough so i bought the mother's clay bar kit. did it improve?... well yeah.. kinda...sorta.

then i polished it with fine polishing solution, then waxed it.

it DID help, but next time, i'll just skip the clay bar. ....

kafene.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:54 PM

Agreed... I bought the stuff (Mothers) and it made no difference. Wasted 20 bucks IMO.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:18 PM

Mother-what??

I'm with you guys -- clay is good for cars with havy build-up of crud on the surface.
I cleaned a friend's SAAB the other day (yes, for money!) , and the clay REALLY smoothed-out the surface imperfections that had built-up. But he NEVER, and mean NEVER washes or waxes his car.

But as always, the Meguiar's Three-Step did the MOST significant improvements to the car.

If you keep-up with your paint, you shouldn't have to waste time and money on the clay.

My 2c.

G.R.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:42 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You all miss the point of the clay bar.

The reason your paint comes out so beautiful after you polish and waxed is BECAUSE you used the clay bar first.

The clay bar does not put a finish on your car, in fact it leaves behind a dull flat finish ready to be polished and sealed.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You all miss the point of the clay bar.

The reason your paint comes out so beautiful after you polish and waxed is BECAUSE you used the clay bar first.

The clay bar does not put a finish on your car, in fact it leaves behind a dull flat finish ready to be polished and sealed.
Exactly Tom....try claying just the hood of your car then run your fingers (index and middle) with one on the hood and one on the front fender and THEN tell me there is NO improvement....Mother's works wonders in the prep category...Zaino puts on da finishin' coup de gras.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:34 PM

For all you clay bar nay-sayers, go educate yourselves here.