5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trunk still rubbing on bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 08:32 PM
Pointy Elbows

Trunk still rubbing on bumper

Hey I mentioned this before, but I could not get the Bumper TSB done under warranty because my VIN was not included in the listing of cars affected. So the dealer loosened my trunk lid bolts and moved it back a bit and touched up the edge of the trunk lid where the paint was worn away. It was fine and didn't scrap anymore.
Later I kind of had a fender bender and had my rear bumper scratched up a bit. I got it fixed at the body shop and since they had to take off my bumper to make the repair, I got some of the new bumper clips that are used in the TSB from the dealer and had the body shop put them on. It turns out that they were the same size as my old bumper clips.
Well, anyways now my trunk lid is getting scraped again and it's moved back as far as it will go. What can I do to fix this? I was thinking of just touching up the scratched areas and putting a strip of black electrical tape along the trunk lid so the paint wouldn't be rubbed away anymore. My car is Super Black, so it wouldn't be that noticable and most of the tape would be on the inside of the trunk anyway.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2002, 07:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Trunk still rubbing on bumper

Originally posted by 00MaxSE
Hey I mentioned this before, but I could not get the Bumper TSB done under warranty because my VIN was not included in the listing of cars affected. So the dealer loosened my trunk lid bolts and moved it back a bit and touched up the edge of the trunk lid where the paint was worn away. It was fine and didn't scrap anymore.
Later I kind of had a fender bender and had my rear bumper scratched up a bit. I got it fixed at the body shop and since they had to take off my bumper to make the repair, I got some of the new bumper clips that are used in the TSB from the dealer and had the body shop put them on. It turns out that they were the same size as my old bumper clips.
Well, anyways now my trunk lid is getting scraped again and it's moved back as far as it will go. What can I do to fix this? I was thinking of just touching up the scratched areas and putting a strip of black electrical tape along the trunk lid so the paint wouldn't be rubbed away anymore. My car is Super Black, so it wouldn't be that noticable and most of the tape would be on the inside of the trunk anyway.

Suggestions?

Thanks
I have the same problem on mine after my fender bender... I just use touch up paint every now and then