5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are 2K keys waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 01:21 PM

Are 2K keys waterproof?

i boogieboard and was wondering if the 2K key was waterproof so i can take it with me in the water. there's supposedly a chip in it so i'm wondering.....
Old 08-22-2002, 01:27 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

it will continue to work for awhile, but it will begin to corrode and eventually die. You need to get it apart and make sure it's COMPELETELY dry.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:35 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by TimW
it will continue to work for awhile, but it will begin to corrode and eventually die. You need to get it apart and make sure it's COMPELETELY dry.
How the hell do you do that?
Old 08-22-2002, 02:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by asu174

How the hell do you do that?
I'm guessing he's talking about the alarm fob? If that's the case, you can open it (same way you change the battery). If he's talking about the key, it seems pretty water-tight to me .
Old 08-22-2002, 03:06 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

oh, yeah.. sorry.. the fob and key are one in the same to me.. yeah, i think the key is waterproof... I *think*
Old 08-22-2002, 03:51 PM

BTW, unless you're asian, you're not allowed to use the term "fob", it's discriminatory
Old 08-22-2002, 03:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tim, the physical key for sure is waterproof. Just gotta watch out when going in saltwater where eventually the sale is going to get into the chip inside the key and start corroding it. But the chances of that happening are very slim since it is sealed pretty good and I cracked open the little blue thing on the key and pulled out the chip and that is sealed solid.

Dixit
Old 08-22-2002, 04:02 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally posted by Tanman
BTW, unless you're asian, you're not allowed to use the term "fob", it's discriminatory
Old 08-22-2002, 05:48 PM

what does the chip do?
Old 08-22-2002, 05:54 PM
It's chrome alright...

sorry, no big asian community around here... what does it mean?

Old 08-22-2002, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
sorry, no big asian community around here... what does it mean?

WHAUT?!? i bet half of us here on the .org is azn

FOB = Fresh of the boat...

u know... 1 dolla 1 dolla!!
Old 08-22-2002, 07:49 PM

If I were to recomend anything, I would say to silicone caulk everything. Get a ziploc bag, or some saran-wrap, put a huge blob of caulk on it and make sure you hit every part of the key. I would be especially worried about the part where the key shaft goes into the plastic.

If you are talking about the FOB, again, I would be caulking it. I would double caulk it. One I would take the rubber out and caulk the edge between it and the part of the FOB closest to the snap-together point and the other I would caulk the actual joint. Obviously you have to re-caulk every time you open it.

I would be much less worried about the key than the FOB.

your other choice is to find a waterproof container to put the key and FOB into. I am sure that wilderness stores have such stuff.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by bert
If I were to recomend anything, I would say to silicone caulk everything. Get a ziploc bag, or some saran-wrap, put a huge blob of caulk on it and make sure you hit every part of the key. I would be especially worried about the part where the key shaft goes into the plastic.

If you are talking about the FOB, again, I would be caulking it. I would double caulk it. One I would take the rubber out and caulk the edge between it and the part of the FOB closest to the snap-together point and the other I would caulk the actual joint. Obviously you have to re-caulk every time you open it.

your other choice is to find a waterproof container to put the key and FOB into. I am sure that wilderness stores have such stuff.
Can we say "****-retentive"? That's why you get two sets of both, in case you mess one up.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by bert

You are 100% insane. Are you serious? You CAULK your keys? I'm sure that'll look REALLY nice when you go to sell the car.....
Old 08-23-2002, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by asu174

You are 100% insane. Are you serious? You CAULK your keys? I'm sure that'll look REALLY nice when you go to sell the car.....
Reading his post again, I think he was being sarcastic. At least I hope he was .
Old 08-23-2002, 07:25 AM

You're stereotyping FOBs. They're not necessarily Asian or Indian. They could be a new immigrant of any national origin.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by ru4real

You're stereotyping FOBs. They're not necessarily Asian or Indian. They could be a new immigrant of any national origin.
FOBs are asian. I have never heard immigrants of other nationalities referred to as FOBs, they are simply "new-comers" or "foreigners". If you have, then please correct that person and let him know he is using the term inappropriately.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:57 AM

FOBs are asian. I have never heard immigrants of other nationalities referred to as FOBs, they are simply "new-comers" or "foreigners". If you have, then please correct that person and let him know he is using the term inappropriately.
Do you live in a small Asian-only world? If you had any Indian friends, you would find out that FOB is used to describe Indians also. I won't be correcting anyone's use of the word when it is an accurate description of an immigrant, regardless of national origin. Maybe you can give us a link to a handbook about the appropriate use of "FOB".
Old 08-23-2002, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by ru4real

Do you live in a small Asian-only world? If you had any Indian friends, you would find out that FOB is used to describe Indians also. I won't be correcting anyone's use of the word when it is an accurate description of an immigrant, regardless of national origin. Maybe you can give us a link to a handbook about the appropriate use of "FOB".
Indians come from the Asian continent, so they count as asians. The term might be accurate for people of other nationalities, but it is primarily used to describe asians (that includes Indians). Don't take this too seriously, I'm just goofing around.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:42 AM

Reading his post again, I think he was being sarcastic. At least I hope he was .
Ahhh. Now I get it. That's pretty funny......wilderness stores.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:23 AM
swallac2

If I were you I would leave the good keys at home and just carry the valet key. You can get those water tight canister things to put your stuff in at any surf shop and, yes, wilderness stores. (I think dude was being serious, extreme but serious.) you then put it around your neck and your good to go.

Old 08-23-2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by ecko
what does the chip do?
The chip "talks" to the ignition. If it doesn't match the computer code the ignition will stay disabled even if the key physically matches the switch. Kinda like the GM keys that had the chip visible on the upper part of the key.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:43 PM
It's chrome alright...

LMFAO

Sorry, I live in NH. Not known for its diversity, but we did have one asian kid in my high school!

Originally posted by redfly17

WHAUT?!? i bet half of us here on the .org is azn

FOB = Fresh of the boat...

u know... 1 dolla 1 dolla!!
Old 08-24-2002, 07:20 AM

Indians come from the Asian continent, so they count as asians. The term might be accurate for people of other nationalities, but it is primarily used to describe asians (that includes Indians). Don't take this too seriously, I'm just goofing around.
Asians only pertain to Eastern Orientals. Indians are sub-continental. Saudi Arabia and most of the Middle East is also part of Asia as well... they aren't considered "Asians"
Old 08-24-2002, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by redfly17

Asians only pertain to Eastern Orientals. Indians are sub-continental. Saudi Arabia and most of the Middle East is also part of Asia as well... they aren't considered "Asians"
Alright, alright, whatever. They're all FOBs, are you happy now??
Old 08-24-2002, 01:32 PM

:
Old 08-24-2002, 02:38 PM

i would say, leave the keys in the car and just take the remote, put it in a couple layers of those little tiny ziploc bags. it still works from inside the bag, and all you really need it for is to unlock the doors - don't really need to carry the engine key into the water, right?

you might also check out aquapac cases: http://www.aquapac.co.uk/

they make cases of all sorts that are water/sand/air/dust proof, where you can still use the thing while it's in the case. might be something there that would work to stick your remote in. their cell phone cases work super slick.