5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Injen CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 04:39 AM

Man Alive! I rode in Rob's car last night. That thing really moves and it sounds great. Thanks for the ride. I am going to get one of these soon!
Old 08-28-2002, 05:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tbone - actually I was upset. the car felt sluggish last night. It didnt have the ooomf I usually feel with it. I dont know what was wrong, but it didnt feel right.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:10 AM

Is that you?

Originally posted by Igor911

I dunno, Im not sure... This fact of getting water into it is scaring me
Igor9--Is that you in the sig??
Old 08-28-2002, 06:15 AM

Re: Is that you?

Originally posted by buzek

A-HA HA HA HA
Old 08-28-2002, 07:13 AM

Re: Is that you?

Originally posted by buzek

Man Thats just 2 funny! hahahahahahahahaha

How many Igor's do u know that are female? LOL!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by GregP
I have had my Injen for about 600 miles now on my '02 6-speed, and I think it is absolutely phenomenal. Consider a CAI where you don't have to dig into the fenderwell or cut any holes in your car, and it is MUCH quieter than even my Stillen high-flow (hot-air) intake was on my '99 Maxima.

The power improvement is VERY noticeable across the entire power-band. Granted I am still running stock rubber, but I find it difficult NOT to chirp the tires in 1st gear now, and I never seemed to have that "problem" before. Maybe my driving is just getting more aggressive, but I like to credit the CAI anyway!

I have a complete install guide for the Injen on my web site with lots of pics. Click on link at left.

Greg
wow greg i love the way u put the pic and explained it all...

i was going to take it to shop and had it installed once i get it and they were asking $100 to 150 just to install it.... but after looking at ur instructions.... i think i can i do it on my own and save money... thanks for the great tips...
Old 08-28-2002, 08:35 AM

This is a very easy install, you get to learn more about how your car works. I love my Injen.

Jason
Old 08-28-2002, 08:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ][ 35

wow greg i love the way u put the pic and explained it all...

i was going to take it to shop and had it installed once i get it and they were asking $100 to 150 just to install it.... but after looking at ur instructions.... i think i can i do it on my own and save money... thanks for the great tips...
YOU CAN DOOOO IT!!!!

I had the Injen instructions and Greg's right in front of me the whole time and it was not that difficult. Greg's pics are great. Couple of things about m,y installation.
- I never detached the MAF wire
- The Nissan bolts are soft metal - use only the 10mm socket or wrench - they will strip (luckily a non-used bolt on the stock)
- Do not lose anything from your stock intake - never know if you have to put it back in.
- When you put the down tube in - put it in under the battery and rotate the tube to line it up.
- If auto, make sure there's at least 1/2 - 1" clearance between the filter and the AT shift cable assembly (looks like a cylindrical accordian) .
Oh, and go ahead and buy a small O-ring clamp for the breather (red) hose where it attaches to the Injen. The original crimp hose clamp is too small

It really is not that hard.

Shaydz
Old 08-28-2002, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Shaydz

YOU CAN DOOOO IT!!!!

- When you put the down tube in - put it in under the battery and rotate the tube to line it up.
- If auto, make sure there's at least 1/2 - 1" clearance between the filter and the AT shift cable assembly (looks like a cylindrical accordian) .
Oh, and go ahead and buy a small O-ring clamp for the breather (red) hose where it attaches to the Injen. The original crimp hose clamp is too small

It really is not that hard.

Shaydz
can u explain those 2 parts more.... b/c i do have a auto...

thanks
Old 08-28-2002, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by ][ 35

can u explain those 2 parts more.... b/c i do have a auto...

thanks
If you look straight down after losing the stock "straw" they call a "ram" where the air comes in on the stock intake, you will see a cable that comes down into a rubber accordian looking cover over the cable. It is right behind the radiator and to the left of the battery about 9 inches above the splash guard. When you fit the Injen down pipe in place with the bracket mounted, it comes very close to this rubber covered cable area. You may need to rotate the down pipe slightly (even to the point of bending the bracket a tiny bit) to make sure the filter is not touching this cable after you tighten down the bracket.
My understanding is that if it is up against this cable you can risk having some problems in changing gears, but that was one other person's take on it. I don't know enough about the cable itself to offer an opinion. Just makes sense not to lay the filter up against it.
Anyone else have any other opinions on this?
Hope this helps some.

Shaydz
Old 08-28-2002, 11:16 AM

I'll just add to Shaydz's comments..

Although he did not ever detatch the MAF harness, it is perfectly safe to do so - just don't start the car until it is reconnected! The MAF harness does not receive power while the car is off, so there is no problem in completely removing the MAF - it will make the install easier.

I posted my pics just to show everyone how easy it is, even though the Injen install doc is very good. My pics are in color, so you can get a better perspective, that's all...

Good luck. BTW, I am working on a very simple custom air-guide for those with the Injen filter. It will be made using Nissan Parts, actually. When I have it finalized I will post everything, including pics. Basically, it is a way to route cold air directly onto the filter, but without allowing road dirt, crud, etc. to get into the engine compartment. I'm a neat freak and could never allow that. The air-guide will be invisible from the outside of the car.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:28 AM

I wanted to say that too. I removed my MAF when I did both my installs (franken and Injen). There is nothing wrong with taking the MAF off the car when doing the install, just BE CAREFULL with it. Too many people keep having failing MAFs because they are not nice to their stuff.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:48 PM

Good luck. BTW, I am working on a very simple custom air-guide for those with the Injen filter. It will be made using Nissan Parts, actually. When I have it finalized I will post everything, including pics. Basically, it is a way to route cold air directly onto the filter, but without allowing road dirt, crud, etc. to get into the engine compartment. I'm a neat freak and could never allow that. The air-guide will be invisible from the outside of the car.
Cant wait to see your air-guide set up. Maybe I'll change mine.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:03 PM

I'll just add to Shaydz's comments..

Although he did not ever detatch the MAF harness, it is perfectly safe to do so - just don't start the car until it is reconnected! The MAF harness does not receive power while the car is off, so there is no problem in completely removing the MAF - it will make the install easier.

I posted my pics just to show everyone how easy it is, even though the Injen install doc is very good. My pics are in color, so you can get a better perspective, that's all...

I like the air-guide concept! Would be very interested in seeing what you come up with.
I know a lot of people disconnect the MAF and it's perfectly fine to do so (w/o turning on engine) but , Greg I was paranoid about that sensor and did not want to attribute anything to it's early demise from my actions. OK so I was scared.

It worked and I have peace of mind.

Shaydz
Old 08-28-2002, 07:46 PM

1) what's exactly a MAF sensor? Is it the tube with a thin net in the middle of it? Is this net itself a sensitive part? You guys talk a lot about treating this part right, but I still can not get what exactly can go wrong. How much does the new sensor cost and is it covered under Nissan's 60K mile powertrain wtty?

2) Where can I view dyno slips to see the difference between stock and intake (Berk, Frankencar, Injen, Stillen) setups?

3) Tell me more about Berk/Frankenstein hybrid intake. Is it CAI, how much more I'd have to spend?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2002, 07:54 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
1) what's exactly a MAF sensor?...
1) MAF = Mass AirFlow sensor. It's not the screen/net in the middle but the set of rods/wires (normally 2 of them) in the middle. If this gets coated in oil or some other debris it'll have wrong readings on the amount of air going through which will severely affect the way your engine will run. A new assembly costs roughly $600 IIRC, some people have mentioned that you can replace just the sensor itself for less than $50 but i'm not sure about that. As for warranty, if it's proven that your aftermarket intake caused the problem then it won't be covered.

2) http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=95767

3) "Berkenstein" is basically the Berk Intake with the Frankencar midpipe. People do it since it's cheaper than getting the whole Frankencar set-up. No, it's still not a CAI.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
1) what's exactly a MAF sensor? Is it the tube with a thin net in the middle of it? Is this net itself a sensitive part? You guys talk a lot about treating this part right, but I still can not get what exactly can go wrong. How much does the new sensor cost and is it covered under Nissan's 60K mile powertrain wtty?

2) Where can I view dyno slips to see the difference between stock and intake (Berk, Frankencar, Injen, Stillen) setups?

3) Tell me more about Berk/Frankenstein hybrid intake. Is it CAI, how much more I'd have to spend?

Thanks
1- the MAF sensor is kinda hard to explain. I can send you a pic if you want to see it, maybe someone else can help with explaining where it is, pics are easier though. Soundmike gave a good description.^^^
2- Dyno slips for that might be hard to find. Theres a forum on max.org called dyno discussion and slips, I would check there.
3- The berk/Frankencar intake are Hot air intakes that sit under the hood and breath the hot engine air. Supposedly you lose some low end torque with these, but as soon as you are moving, it doesnt make much of a difference. CAI are genereally away from the hot parts and breathe cooler air. The place racing CAI sits in the fender wall, but you have to drill a 3.25" hole to install it. The Injen needs no cutting and looks real good, which is why I think it got popular all of a sudden. The Injen will probably run you about 230-240 shipped if you get it from Adventon.com and thats the cheapest I have found it.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Shaydz

If you look straight down after losing the stock "straw" they call a "ram" where the air comes in on the stock intake, you will see a cable that comes down into a rubber accordian looking cover over the cable. It is right behind the radiator and to the left of the battery about 9 inches above the splash guard. When you fit the Injen down pipe in place with the bracket mounted, it comes very close to this rubber covered cable area. You may need to rotate the down pipe slightly (even to the point of bending the bracket a tiny bit) to make sure the filter is not touching this cable after you tighten down the bracket.
My understanding is that if it is up against this cable you can risk having some problems in changing gears, but that was one other person's take on it. I don't know enough about the cable itself to offer an opinion. Just makes sense not to lay the filter up against it.
Anyone else have any other opinions on this?
Hope this helps some.

Shaydz
cool thanks for the info.. i'll keep that in mind....
Old 08-28-2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Will there be enough tubing there? Or do you plan to just use it for the part by the radiator? Either way, if you get it, let us know how it goes, cuz thats not a bad idea.
I fabricated an "Injen concept by Home Depot" intake one day and found an extra 4'x4' (I think) sheet of heat wrap laying around, so I went to work. I used tie wraps (ghetto I know, but the only effective way I had at the time) to attach the wrap to the piping. If you get the pre-made "tube sheet", you wouldn't need to fasten it like I did (I'm assuming).

It works OK, in my book. Not as effective as on my Volvo, but I can put my hand on my intake manifold after a 30 mile vigorous drive on a cool night and it is hardly warm. On the Volvo---cold. Not warm, cold. The stock Volvo intake inlet is just behind the grille and goes over the radiator to the stock airbox (but then there's the intercooler afterwards), for comparison purposes. This might address why the Max is not as cold. Not that there's a problem, just doesn't have an intercooler (well, mine doesn't ).

I think it is probably as cold as it can get, without having to place the filter outside the engine compartment. I really wish I had a temp gauge and sensor in the intake tract to get before and after readings. I know with just the Berk, it was sizzling. I need to get to a dyno and check to see if I lost torque, like with the Berk (12 ft/lbs ).

Pic from the front
Pic from the right side, looking toward the battery
Pic looking to the left, from over the battery
Old 08-29-2002, 06:04 AM

I'll be getting one of these CAI's soon. Rob, how has your car been running on these cooler/rainy days?

Originally posted by soundmike

3) "Berkenstein" is basically the Berk Intake with the Frankencar midpipe. People do it since it's cheaper than getting the whole Frankencar set-up. No, it's still not a CAI.

I'm just running the Berk with out a midpipe; would you call that a Berk-n-stock?

hippies
Old 08-29-2002, 07:26 AM

Injen vs. stock (sound)

I've heard you guys compare the Injen to others (Franken, Stillen, Berk, etc.) in terms of the way it sounds (quieter), but how about for those of us who haven't had the pleasure of hearing one of these other fine intakes. How much louder is the Injen compared to the stock airbox? What does it sound like during WOT? (throaty, whiny)

Curious minds want to know.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:43 AM

Re: Injen vs. stock (sound)

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS
I've heard you guys compare the Injen to others (Franken, Stillen, Berk, etc.) in terms of the way it sounds (quieter), but how about for those of us who haven't had the pleasure of hearing one of these other fine intakes. How much louder is the Injen compared to the stock airbox? What does it sound like during WOT? (throaty, whiny)

I would say that the Frakencar is by far the loudest...from what I've read, but I have not heard one. Apparently these babies are deep and Loud!

I have a berk, it's noticeable above 3K rpms; it sounds good; it's throaty.

Because the injen is almost under the car, you cannot hear it until you really "get on it"; then it sounds good; Rob said it's more noticeable while driving through tunnels and by Jersey walls.

neither of the last two that I mentioned are whinny (like a lil' 4 banger with crappy exhaust); they sound good and they make you
Old 08-29-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: Injen vs. stock (sound)

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS

If you go to Frankencar's website, he has a video of the frankencar in action(with sound). I had a pop charger on my '95 max and if was loud, but not as loud as the frankencar. the injen CAI will have the same type of soud but maybe just a little more quiet

www.frankencarperformance.com

click on the media link on the left
Old 08-29-2002, 09:30 AM

Re: Re: Injen vs. stock (sound)

Originally posted by T-bone
...Because the injen is almost under the car, you cannot hear it until you really "get on it"; then it sounds good; Rob said it's more noticeable while driving through tunnels and by Jersey walls...
This is absolutely true. In my opinion at Idle it is quieter than stock (no slight whine, which seems to affect most stock boxes), and not noticable during normal (low rpm) driving conditions. However under heavy acceleration it is very throaty and deep (and thus pleasurable). When I first installed it and jumped on the gas I thought perhaps something was wrong!

Going under bridges is my favorite, sounds great.

So in short, you will only bring attention to yourself if you want it. It's very controllable. I'm very pleased with my Injen. Follow the instructions exactly and you'll have no trouble with it.

I did by the way disconnect my MAF, and the battery. I was going to leave the MAF in, but I could hold it much more steady while it was removed. 1500 miles strong, and hopefully many more to go.

www.wolfish.net/maxima/DCP_0054.JPG
Old 08-29-2002, 10:32 AM

thank you guys for explanation of what MAF sensor is. I've looked at it while installing my Berk intake and couldn't see any wires. If you're saying MAF sensor goes bad whenever oil gets on them, then why cant you just flush the whole unit in a solvent to clean it up, rather then shelling out $600?