5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rock chips are killing me..???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 12:38 PM

rock chips are killing me..???

Is there any protection from rock chips... On all 2k maximas it is a problem..
Old 08-23-2002, 12:52 PM

Re: rock chips are killing me..???

Originally posted by Neeferea
Stop tailgating...
Old 08-23-2002, 12:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: rock chips are killing me..???

Originally posted by Neeferea
Only one that I know of....don't drive your car!! Seriously, with the crappy paint quality there is little you can do except hope or pray.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:30 PM

Is this happening on all Nissan paints? I know the Pathfinder has the same problem too.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:53 PM

www.speedfilm.net

It won't help with the chips that are there, but it will help future chips. It has saved me a time or two...billion.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Mustang1999
www.speedfilm.net

It won't help with the chips that are there, but it will help future chips. It has saved me a time or two...billion.
Yep, the 3M Scotchcal clear film is the best protection you can give your paint if you hate the look of a black bra. I ordered a hood piece for my car from www.xpel.com and put it on myself. It has prevented further damage. The film runs about 12 inches up the hood so rock chips are still possible above where the film stops.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by jkratzer

Yep, the 3M Scotchcal clear film is the best protection you can give your paint if you hate the look of a black bra. I ordered a hood piece for my car from www.xpel.com and put it on myself. It has prevented further damage. The film runs about 12 inches up the hood so rock chips are still possible above where the film stops.
Yes, JK i agree, however i opted to have the entire front of my 2K2 done with 3M scotchal......has preserved the front of my car.....
Old 08-23-2002, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by JAKE02

Yes, JK i agree, however i opted to have the entire front of my 2K2 done with 3M scotchal......has preserved the front of my car.....
Excellent...I'm sure it works great. The bumper piece looked much harder to do myself and I did not want to pay someone to do it.

I noticed that the front bumper, being made of plastic, does not chip like the hood. I guess that plastic bumper gives a little to absorb some of the impact. The most damage I have on my bumper are small indentions.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:30 PM

friggin' rocks

i am telling you guys the windshield glass is cheap as hell.
i just got smoked today. a nice little starfish crack on the windshield to go along with 3 other chips out of the glass.
i am getting sick of these cheap a** nissan quality.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:08 PM
I miss the .org!

I just found a chip on my windsheld over the weekend too, and my car is only 4 weeks old! I'm getting it repaired today, but I did get pretty ****ed off about it...
I do find little paint chips too. I'm washing my car today, so I'm sure I'll find some more...
Old 08-26-2002, 05:41 PM

to ease the pain...try this......

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
I just found a chip on my windsheld over the weekend too, and my car is only 4 weeks old! I'm getting it repaired today, but I did get pretty ****ed off about it...
I do find little paint chips too. I'm washing my car today, so I'm sure I'll find some more...

start washing your car at night, you can't see all the chips that way

or wear some really dark sunglasses

kj
Old 08-26-2002, 05:58 PM
tsb
Newbie - Just Registered

It's odd, but some of the used Maximas that I've seen have very little paint damage where others are trashed. From my understanding, new paint formulations are not as durable as they used to be. My 91 SE-R has a beautiful, non-clear coated paint job. I've recently owned German cars (VW and BMW) and their paint is not very good. The BMW had very bad orange peel and chipped easily. The VW also chipped and scratched too easily.

If I do decide to get a Maxima I will definitely have a clear bra installed on the hood, front bumper and mirrors to ward off chips.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:03 PM

For those who wants the result of the paint protection film installation to look OEM:
There is a bunch of 3M Scotchcal paint protection film sellers. Unfortunately, most people do not know how to chose one. What people should look for is the price for the amount of coverage, how thoroughly will an area be cover (does a full bumper get wrap to the wheel well?), how many pieces to cover a big area(minimum number of seams from pieces meeting), and most importantly, how competent is the installer (don't even bother doing the hard pieces yourself, you'll just be throwing away money since extensive training is a MUST!). Majority of installers will not be able to install a ONE piece to fully cover the front bumper from wheel well to wheel well. Look for those who can do it competently with MINIMUM amount of silvering, haze, bubbles, and imperfections; remember that you are paying for protection not perfection, and installers are only human. An experience installer is the #1 indication that you are getting what you pay for, since they don’t come cheap, and cheap installers doesn’t come good. Anybody can sell the film (the cheaper the film, the smaller the pieces?!), but it's hard to find a competent installer who is passionate in applying the film; it's LITERALLY an art to them not just a job. And they are their own hardest critics. Good Luck on your quest to stop the paint chip maker from decreasing the value of your vehicle. All paint protection product question welcome!

Check out www.se-ex.com for more INTERESTING paint protection products. THANKS! - Just giving advise & promoting effective and appealing products .
Old 08-29-2002, 04:23 AM

how much should i expect to pay for a windshield replacement?
Old 08-29-2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by $tillen$ux
Depending on your neck of the wood. Dealer or outside job? $150-300
Old 08-29-2002, 10:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by $tillen$ux
$0

It should be covered by your insurance with no deductible.