5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Basslink Installed...comments

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 09:57 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Basslink Installed...comments

Ok, my buddy just installed this and I like it. He was a former car installer, so it went smooth and easy. We attached all the wires to the plug on the sub on the rear deck. its a 2k02 SE with the factory BOSE. Um, the stock sub, if you want to call it that is a joke. We got to much vibration from it, so we unplugged it and removed it. Now, if you notice, you have a nice size port coming into the car! It sounds SO much better. Not as good as if the seat was down, but i am happy with it. I also got the gain control, and mounted to the right of the steering wheel, a little bit down.

SO, for those who want to get it, do it. Its a nice upgrade to the stock stereo....

Old 08-24-2002, 10:31 AM

Did you keep everything else stock??
Old 08-24-2002, 10:45 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I thought you were supposed to connect the sub wires to the rear speaker wires, not the Bose sub. The Bose attenuates the bass with volume, hence the reason why most people were less that please with the output.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:27 AM

Re: Basslink Installed...comments

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
Ok, my buddy just installed this and I like it. He was a former car installer, so it went smooth and easy. We attached all the wires to the plug on the sub on the rear deck. its a 2k02 SE with the factory BOSE. Um, the stock sub, if you want to call it that is a joke. We got to much vibration from it, so we unplugged it and removed it. Now, if you notice, you have a nice size port coming into the car! It sounds SO much better. Not as good as if the seat was down, but i am happy with it. I also got the gain control, and mounted to the right of the steering wheel, a little bit down.

SO, for those who want to get it, do it. Its a nice upgrade to the stock stereo....
pics and more install tips/instructions please...
Old 08-24-2002, 03:46 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by TimW
I thought you were supposed to connect the sub wires to the rear speaker wires, not the Bose sub. The Bose attenuates the bass with volume, hence the reason why most people were less that please with the output.
Well, according to my buddy, any speaker on the BOSE system does that. So, yeah, when you crank it, it goes lower, which sucks, but i got it for really cheap, and compared to the stock sub (if you want to call it that) this thing rocks. for those who dont think there is enough bass, remove the stock rear sub, or drive with 1/2 the seat down....

Old 08-24-2002, 03:47 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by NYC2SD
Did you keep everything else stock??
yup...

Old 08-24-2002, 03:49 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Re: Re: Basslink Installed...comments

Originally posted by MAXRAY

pics and more install tips/instructions please...
dont have pics, and my buddy did the wiring..what questions you got?> I'll try to answer....

Old 08-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Very sound, Mike

How exactly was it attached again? Mine was through a line level converter, signal tapped from the rear speakers, and converted to RCA.

Then again i didn't have a Bose system.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:48 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally posted by soundmike
How exactly was it attached again? Mine was through a line level converter, signal tapped from the rear speakers, and converted to RCA.

Then again i didn't have a Bose system.
yeah,the BOSE makes a big difference.....

We attached all wires on the rear sub PLUG on the rear deck...and, it was disconnected..AND REMOVED!!!!

LOL...anyone want the rear sub on a 2k02 max???

Old 08-24-2002, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where did you get the gain control? I have the basslink, but never got that part. How much extra was it? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:29 PM
Very sound, Mike

It's a $25 part from Crutchfield. Most newer Basslink's already have it included in the package.

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
Where did you get the gain control? I have the basslink, but never got that part. How much extra was it? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:59 PM
lcf

check out ebay. i got mine for pretty cheap.
Old 08-24-2002, 10:07 PM

anyone have the basslink installed w/ the bose sub still active? i'm wondering if you can tap into the bose sub wires for the basslink power/input and have both subs working w/o fuse problems etc.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:31 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Can you do me a favor PLEEEEASE?

I'm debating cutting the hole in the rear deck for a port, so if you could "test" out the difference with the port covered and then uncovered, I'd like to know how much difference it makes.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:24 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Re: Can you do me a favor PLEEEEASE?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IceY2K1
[B]

I'm debating cutting the hole in the rear deck for a port, so if you could "test" out the difference with the port covered and then uncovered, I'd like to know how much difference it makes.

Do you have the sub in the rear deck? is so, you just remove it, and there is your port..otherwise, it makes a noticable difference. After we play it with the stock sub in place, and then removed, the difference was incredible..

Old 08-25-2002, 08:45 AM

Re: Re: Can you do me a favor PLEEEEASE?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
[B]
Originally posted by IceY2K1

Do you have the sub in the rear deck? is so, you just remove it, and there is your port..otherwise, it makes a noticable difference. After we play it with the stock sub in place, and then removed, the difference was incredible..
so, initially, you had both the bose sub and basslink wired? and it worked with the basslink tapped into the bose sub/amp? is that right? but, seems to me that you're saying it sounded even better when the bose sub was removed. is that correct?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:18 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Re: Re: Re: Can you do me a favor PLEEEEASE?

Originally posted by MAXRAY

so, initially, you had both the bose sub and basslink wired?

Correct

and it worked with the basslink tapped into the bose sub/amp?

yup

is that right? but, seems to me that you're saying it sounded even better when the bose sub was removed. is that correct?
Correct again. We had them both hooked up, and there was alot of rattling from the BOSE sub. So, we unplugged it, and the rattling was gone. Then, we figured if we remove the BOSE sub, we have a nice Port coming into the trunk, and it sounds good.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:09 AM

Re: Basslink Installed...comments

can you please post pictures of the wires at the basslink input/output and the bose sub/amp wires? need to know which wires to tap into (power, ground, speaker, etc). also, are you using RCA line inputs or universal interface on the basslink? or you can email pics if that's easier. thanks again.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:11 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

ok, i'll take some pics, and e-mail them to you. Give me your e-mail address.

Its not going to be till mon or tues...

Old 08-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Can you do me a favor PLEEEEASE?

No, I didn't have BOSE, so no sub. However, I was planning on porting the rear deck and using the BOSE grille or the complete BOSE rear deck for a stock appearance. Then I found out the rear deck was around $130, so I wanted to make sure it was worth it.

So, would you say the difference between non-ported(BOSE sub still in place but deactivated) vs. ported was CONSIDERABLE enough to justify $130?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:54 AM

IceY2K1, your car should come from the factory with the Bose "hole" in it. I think Nissan builds them this way, and then adds subs to some. Look under your rear deck where the sub is supposed to go, you should have a hole, or a piece of sheetmetal that partially cut out. You just cut this out and you have your port. You'll still have to find a Bose grill for the top of the back deck.