5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Repainting The Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 09:14 PM

Repainting The Rear Bumper

Hey Everybody... Has anyone had their rear bumper repainted? I am curious about the price of it. Mine has a quarter sized spot of paint melted off of it (totally my fault), and I am trying to guess what the dealer might charge to repaint it. I know I can call them tomorrow, but its bugging me... you know how it is when something happens to the car you love! I am just trying to see what you all think... how much do you guess something like this would cost me?? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You dont want the dealer to get the price. Most of them dont even do it. They will send you to their body shop.

Dixit
Old 08-25-2002, 09:28 PM

Hmmm... Good point! Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it wont break me!
Old 08-25-2002, 11:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey post what you're told. I was quoted 500 bucks for a bumper + quarter panel repaint job that my a*hole neighbor scraped. But that's Florida, home of the dishonest body shop.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:56 PM

I'm about to get a bid tomarrow for the same thing. I'll let you know, but I bet it's over $500, California dishonest body shop 2.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:28 AM

damn... i need to get my rear end painted as well... i hate parking in the city
Old 08-26-2002, 04:07 AM

Thanks!! It will be interesting to see what prices we get quoted for this. As soon as I find something out, I will post it. I have to drive to Oxford IN today from St. Louis, so I should be able to post a quote tonight.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:31 AM

I was rear ended 2 years ago and didn't see any damage because it was winter and the car was dirty. When I finally saw the cracks in the paint and the license plate mark, I brought it to a body shop and they said I needed a new bumper and new quarter panels so they could blend it in better. Brought it to another body shop, and they fixed the original bumper, no quarter panels for $200.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by regejaxx2kmax
I was rear ended 2 years ago and didn't see any damage because it was winter and the car was dirty. When I finally saw the cracks in the paint and the license plate mark, I brought it to a body shop and they said I needed a new bumper and new quarter panels so they could blend it in better. Brought it to another body shop, and they fixed the original bumper, no quarter panels for $200.
You paid the right price. Painting rear bumper shouldn't exeed 200-250$ unless there is a lot of damage to it.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-26-2002, 06:19 AM

I'm not sure about your states, but in Chicago there's a place called Carnica. Look them up, they are a mobile bumper repair place. basically they come out and sand, buff, then airbrush the bumper back to new. It will come within 100% of most cars, Nissan included. I haven't used them in about a year and a half, but back then it was $125, and some insurance companies will cover it as part of a claim.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:02 PM

Re: Repainting The Rear Bumper

Originally posted by Wreck-Diver
Has anyone had their rear bumper repainted?
A few months back I got rear-ended by an 18-wheeler. It just barely bumped me, but was still enough to put 3 deep scratches on rear bumper. I got it done for $225.00 drive out from Apollo Paint & Body in Houston. Dealer wouldn't give me an estimate unless I brought the car in. I asked dealer if they would be able to beat $225.00 and he said: "Not a chance!" BTW, Apollo did an excellent job. They said they use EXACTLY the same paint. I wouldn't be so set on going to dealer, unless you got money to blow...

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2002, 12:04 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Repainting The Rear Bumper

Originally posted by CHAZMAX

A few months back I got rear-ended by an 18-wheeler. It just barely bumped me, but was still enough to put 3 deep scratches on rear bumper. I got it done for $225.00 drive out from Apollo Paint & Body in Houston. Dealer wouldn't give me an estimate unless I brought the car in. I asked dealer if they would be able to beat $225.00 and he said: "Not a chance!" BTW, Apollo did an excellent job. They said they use EXACTLY the same paint. I wouldn't be so set on going to dealer, unless you got money to blow...

Good luck!
Which one did you use? FM 1960? SH 6 south?

I need some work done and if you think they did a good job, it helps make my decision!
Old 08-26-2002, 12:07 PM

OK, just got my bid from rip-off body shop, in Thousand Oaks, CA. I've used them before and they do a perfect, (not just excellent), but pefect job. I had a little more than a slight dent and scratches and they claim that I need a new bumper. The estimate I received today was $593. I could have the bumber sent out to be repaired, but this would add 3 days to the job, so they recommend replacing the bumper.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Repainting The Rear Bumper

Originally posted by jjs

Which one did you use? FM 1960? SH 6 south?

I need some work done and if you think they did a good job, it helps make my decision!
I used the one on FM 1960. I was referred there from a friend also. At first I was unconfortable w/ going anywhere other than dealer, since it's a brand new car. But they did a real good job. I can't see the scratches at all and can't tell it was repainted. If nothing else, I'd go there and get an estimate. It's a kinda shorter gentleman that runs the show there. He's the one I talked to. He was real "straight-up" w/ me. I was gonna go to a couple other places, but I got a good vibe w/ him and I didn't think I'd beat $225.00. I've got his name at the house (I think). I could supply it tommorrow if needed.

Happy huntin!
Old 08-26-2002, 12:29 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Repainting The Rear Bumper

Originally posted by CHAZMAX

I used the one on FM 1960. I was referred there from a friend also. At first I was unconfortable w/ going anywhere other than dealer, since it's a brand new car. But they did a real good job. I can't see the scratches at all and can't tell it was repainted. If nothing else, I'd go there and get an estimate. It's a kinda shorter gentleman that runs the show there. He's the one I talked to. He was real "straight-up" w/ me. I was gonna go to a couple other places, but I got a good vibe w/ him and I didn't think I'd beat $225.00. I've got his name at the house (I think). I could supply it tommorrow if needed.

Happy huntin!
Thanks! I will definitely stop in next time I am in the neighborhood.
Old 08-26-2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Rgamfn1
I'm not sure about your states, but in Chicago there's a place called Carnica. Look them up, they are a mobile bumper repair place. basically they come out and sand, buff, then airbrush the bumper back to new. It will come within 100% of most cars, Nissan included. I haven't used them in about a year and a half, but back then it was $125, and some insurance companies will cover it as part of a claim.
Carnica sounds GREAT! I am from St. Louis... hopefully they, or someone like them is around! I knew I should not have called the dealer on the way out of town, but I was just curious.. yep... $350 is what the ballpark is. I will go get estimates when I get back in town and let you all know!
Old 08-26-2002, 01:18 PM

I just took my car to the body shop this morning. I backed into my other car. I forgot it was parked behind my Max because I let my cousin borrow it for 2 weeks and I backed out without paying attention (I know I'm stupid). Well they quoted me $798.00 to repair the back bumper cover,a small spot on the right quarter panel,& replace the sidemarker. The bodyshop I really wanted to use quoted me $1,104.00, but they just replaced everything(no quarter panel)instead of repairing it. I would have used them but they couldn't get my car until next tuesday Sept 3, and would have taken 5 business days ,which means I would not have gotten it back in time to travel to my Alma Mater's football game.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:41 PM

Be weary of these mobile repairs. They usually do not have the sophisticated equiptement or knowledge required to properly make the repairs to keep to the higher levels of quality as originally provided by Nissan. Also, they are usually not as picky as body shops. I tried this a few months ago because I was tempted by the low repair cost. I ended up paying twice because the work was so bad, that I didn't want these guys to touch my car again. Never again, I will stick to my overpriced body shop and know what I'm getting with a gaurantee and a place to go if I'm not satisfied.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:09 AM

I understand what you're saying, but they do good work. i worked for a rental agency for a number of years, and Carnica always backed up their work with a warranty. Most of your local dealers use them to fix the damage done in transport or on their lot. They usually don't do anything but the bumpers (plastic) so there is a less chance of them messing up. Just my $0.02.