5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 08:48 AM

Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

I was driving 70mph on the highway on my way to work this morning, with heavy wind, rain, and thunder, when all of a sudden a bolt of lightning touched down and struck the Mack truck in the lane next to me literally five feet from my front passenger wheel! Shotgun-loud blast and a huge flash of white light. I am freaking out, it blows one of his tires and I smell that rubber smell, so I get out of there asap. Luckily my car was still running, but the elctrical blast knocked out my clock and reset my 'mileage trip meter' the one right below my digital odometer, but NOT my trip computer on the other gauge face. Now, my problem is this:

The interior door lights and dome light won't go off, the blast apparently convinced the electrical system of the car that one of the doors is now ajar! I got to work and opened and reclosed all 4 doors, but they are still on. So I had to disconnect my battery in the parking lot so my battery doesn't run down during the day. What can I do to fix this? Anyone???
Old 08-26-2002, 08:50 AM

Re: Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

Originally posted by Matthew
I was driving 70mph on the highway on my way to work this morning, with heavy wind, rain, and thunder, when all of a sudden a bolt of lightning touched down and struck the Mack truck in the lane next to me literally five feet from my front passenger wheel! Shotgun-loud blast and a huge flash of white light. I am freaking out, it blows one of his tires and I smell that rubber smell, so I get out of there asap. Luckily my car was still running, but the elctrical blast knocked out my clock and reset my 'trip meter' the one right below my digital odometer, but not my trip meter. Now, my problem is this:

The interior door lights and dome light won't go off, the blast apparently convinced the electrical system of the car that one of the doors is now ajar! I got to work and opened and reclosed all 4 doors, but they are still on. So I had to disconnect my battery in the parking lot so my battery doesn't run down during the day. What can I do to fix this? Anyone???
take it to a dealer
Old 08-26-2002, 08:51 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Try resetting the ECU. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for an hour or so. That might be an easy solution.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:52 AM

Re: Re: Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

Originally posted by Vadim

take it to a dealer
...Well yeah, but won't they charge me for it? This doesn't exactly qualify as warranty work...
Old 08-26-2002, 08:56 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

...Well yeah, but won't they charge me for it? This doesn't exactly qualify as warranty work...
Since you did not do anything (mod's, etc.) to cause the problem, I would say it is still a warranty item.

If you are concerned though, take it there and jsut say for some reason this started this morning...don't bother mentioning the weather had anything to do with it...
Old 08-26-2002, 09:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

Originally posted by jjs

Since you did not do anything (mod's, etc.) to cause the problem, I would say it is still a warranty item.

If you are concerned though, take it there and jsut say for some reason this started this morning...don't bother mentioning the weather had anything to do with it...
Yeah, I would forget all about the lightning if I was you. Just bring it to the dealer and play dumb.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:15 AM
Blu
the tits

Re: Re: Re: Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

nope they don't have to know what happened

Old 08-26-2002, 09:23 AM

It sounds like your Smart Entrance Unit got fried. That unit is really sensative. I fried mine once and there other posts where members have had similar symptoms as you're describing due to their SEU dying. The dealer will be able to replace it without any problems.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:58 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

technically, I would call the insurance rep. At least give them a heads up. Do it now 'cause they will obviously remember the storm, not weeks from now. Just tell them you will take it to the dealer, but there are some expensive parts (ECU and SECU) that may not be covered.

it would certainly be covered and since its no fault, it *shouldnt* affect your rates..

They do have the right to deny on 'act of god', tho most will pay up anyway.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:09 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by TimW
technically, I would call the insurance rep. At least give them a heads up. Do it now 'cause they will obviously remember the storm, not weeks from now. Just tell them you will take it to the dealer, but there are some expensive parts (ECU and SECU) that may not be covered.

it would certainly be covered and since its no fault, it *shouldnt* affect your rates..

They do have the right to deny on 'act of god', tho most will pay up anyway.
He will have to pay his deductible though... That would suck. I'd go to the dealer and play dumb.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:20 PM
lcf

Originally posted by asu174

He will have to pay his deductible though... That would suck. I'd go to the dealer and play dumb.
Tim's saying to do both. Always cover all of your bases.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:07 AM

Matthew,

With the weather we're having in Dallas again this morning, maybe you should hope for lightning to strike twice (it does, actually-electricity follows the path of least resistance) and maybe that will zap everything back. Or, maybe it'll just completely fry what's left of your electrical system.

I'd agree with "take it to the dealer and play dumb." That's probably your best bet.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:24 AM

...Thanks for all the good advice guys, I took it to the dealer this morning and 'played dumb' which is to say, I told him I had an electrical problem, (true) and that it started yesterday (true) I just didn't tell him I almost turned my car into a $25,000 lightning rod! (Also true, but he doesn't need to know!)

...I will post an update soon.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:44 AM

Re: Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matthew
[B]I was driving 70mph on the highway on my way to work this morning, with heavy wind, rain, and thunder.....

Why were you driving that fast in that weather? Had the truck swerved after being hit, you would have been in much worse shape than you are now.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:54 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Scariest experience of my life, all read & electrical experts PLEASE HELP!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rgamfn1
[B]
I was driving 70mph on the highway on my way to work this morning, with heavy wind, rain, and thunder.....

Why were you driving that fast in that weather? Had the truck swerved after being hit, you would have been in much worse shape than you are now.
Quite a few states have speed limits that high. I know in the Houston area they had been 70 for a while, then some stupid environmental act reposted them back to 55 in neighboring counties...

short end of the story...when they were 70 and even now (since alot of people just ignore the reposting), you had damn well better be moving with traffic doing 70 or higher or YOU became the danger...not the rain or speed....
Old 08-27-2002, 10:01 AM

Understandable, but remember the speed limit is the Max you can do on a good day in good conditions, not the driving limit in adverse conditions.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:05 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Rgamfn1
Understandable, but remember the speed limit is the Max you can do on a good day in good conditions, not the driving limit in adverse conditions.
tell that to hundreds of other drivers swerving around you 'cuz you are too slow relative to other traffic...

that alone is justification to get a real set of tires (if a person hasn't already)...

also, 70 is a far cry from 'limit' driving...for a good percentage of the population, as mentioned above, 70 is as routine as 55...
Old 08-27-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by jjs

tell that to hundreds of other drivers swerving around you 'cuz you are too slow relative to other traffic...

that alone is justification to get a real set of tires (if a person hasn't already)...

also, 70 is a far cry from 'limit' driving...for a good percentage of the population, as mentioned above, 70 is as routine as 55...
...Amen. I am in North Texas for clarification, where most major highways are still 70...
Old 08-28-2002, 08:50 AM

...Amen. I am in North Texas for clarification, where most major highways are still 70...
Damn man. Sorry to hear that. Luckily I slept in Monday morning and waited the storm out. We had several houses hit on Mockingbird....crazy Texas weather. Well, I would echo the other suggestions you have: call your insurance first because I had a friend who went through a similar experience and more electrical issues arose down the road that weren't apparent initially. Once you file a claim, it is open until all symptoms are diminished. Not something you want to pay out of your own pocket.

But, I would certainly go the dealer and just tell them the problems without the storm scenario. See what their diagnosis is and go from there. Good luck man. BTW, did you see that I am getting rid of my PowerTech muffler??
Old 08-28-2002, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Texasguy

Damn man. Sorry to hear that. Luckily I slept in Monday morning and waited the storm out. We had several houses hit on Mockingbird....crazy Texas weather. Well, I would echo the other suggestions you have: call your insurance first because I had a friend who went through a similar experience and more electrical issues arose down the road that weren't apparent initially. Once you file a claim, it is open until all symptoms are diminished. Not something you want to pay out of your own pocket.

But, I would certainly go the dealer and just tell them the problems without the storm scenario. See what their diagnosis is and go from there. Good luck man. BTW, did you see that I am getting rid of my PowerTech muffler??
...Thanks for the advice bro'... Yeah, I saw you were losing the muffler, you know I was always a fan of the 'silent and lethal' approach myself... But I have taken the car to the dealer and they confirmed it was the SECU (smart-entry-control-unit) that fried, and they are replacing it. So I think I am out of the woods. If anything else goes wrong, I have 2.5 years and 25,000 miles left on my bumper-to-bumper, since my baby is still brand-spanking new!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:13 AM

If anything else goes wrong, I have 2.5 years and 25,000 miles left on my bumper-to-bumper, since my baby is still brand-spanking new!
Man, I only have 1500 miles left on my warranty. I am scared...contemplating the warranty extension. BTW, I already have a buyer for the muffler. Gotta love the .ORG and all the modders!!