5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem after Problem on my 2K2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 11:44 PM

Problem after Problem on my 2K2!!!

Here are the problems with my 2k2 GLE

1) Auto Seat does not work (like when the seat slides back when you turn the car off)

2) Memory Seating does not work

3) Volume seems to rise and fall (and no I know it's not the automatic volume adjuster)

4) Check Engine Light is dimly lit

Here are some problems not related to the electrical system

1) Sunroof wind noise
2) Rear and Front Window wind noise
3) Bose Rear Deck Rattle
4) Dashboard Noise (it's weird cuz it sounds like velcro rubbing against plastic)

And here are the problem's with my 91 MAX GXE
1)NONE-The car is solid

NISSAN what the hell is going on here!!!

If anyone has any of these problems resolved by the dealer please let me know. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:17 AM

Re: Problem after Problem on my 2K2!!!

1 and 2) is ur auto seat switch ON? it's behind the steering wheel on ur left.

as for the wind noise..you can take it back to the dealer and they will fix it. Atleast they fixed mine. good luck.

charlie
Old 08-27-2002, 12:38 AM

hey charlie, the gunmetal wheels are looking nice!
Old 08-27-2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by SeBlackMax97
hey charlie, the gunmetal wheels are looking nice!
thx. It looks gunmetal in the pic but it's actully the bronze color that came off the mustang.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:25 AM

Re: Re: Problem after Problem on my 2K2!!!

Originally posted by CharlieNewbieMax
1 and 2) is ur auto seat switch ON? it's behind the steering wheel on ur left.

as for the wind noise..you can take it back to the dealer and they will fix it. Atleast they fixed mine. good luck.

charlie
Yeah it is in the on position and I already have taken it in for the wind TSB---(Still noisy as hell).
Old 08-27-2002, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by SHPatel
Here are the problems with my 2k2 GLE

1) Auto Seat does not work (like when the seat slides back when you turn the car off)

2) Memory Seating does not work

3) Volume seems to rise and fall (and no I know it's not the automatic volume adjuster)

4) Check Engine Light is dimly lit

Here are some problems not related to the electrical system

1) Sunroof wind noise
2) Rear and Front Window wind noise
3) Bose Rear Deck Rattle
4) Dashboard Noise (it's weird cuz it sounds like velcro rubbing against plastic)

And here are the problem's with my 91 MAX GXE
1)NONE-The car is solid

NISSAN what the hell is going on here!!!

If anyone has any of these problems resolved by the dealer please let me know. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post.
Do you have manual or auto?
Because the seat slider thingy dosen't work on the manual.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:57 AM

Re: Re: Problem after Problem on my 2K2!!!

Originally posted by buzek

Do you have manual or auto?
Because the seat slider thingy dosen't work on the manual.
He's got the GLE... auto.
Sounds like this should be covered under warranty. Did you do any mods to your sound system? Sometimes, the memory seats can get screwed up if the installer f***ed with the brain.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Problem after Problem on my 2K2!!!

Originally posted by 2K2MAXSE-RIOUS

He's got the GLE... auto.
Sounds like this should be covered under warranty. Did you do any mods to your sound system? Sometimes, the memory seats can get screwed up if the installer f***ed with the brain.
No I haven't modded the car at all. Actually I'm not as angry right now because I went to a dealer that was actually very nice to me and offered me a loaner car. The service manager assured me that he would fix all the problems with the car and take care of it as well. Real nice guy and great has calmed me down a bit.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Story of my life,

I have all the same problems as you do, and constantly complain about it..

2k2's really sucks

2k2 VS 99

2k2's = Too many problems to count and it keeps growing after 14,000 kms..

1999 = Not even a damn recall or TSB and 130,000kms still no problems

Moral of the story, 1999 Maximas were the best ever made..

Ed
Old 08-28-2002, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by MiniRX7
Story of my life,

I have all the same problems as you do, and constantly complain about it..

2k2's really sucks

2k2 VS 99

2k2's = Too many problems to count and it keeps growing after 14,000 kms..

1999 = Not even a damn recall or TSB and 130,000kms still no problems

Moral of the story, 1999 Maximas were the best ever made..

Ed
I agree, my 91 max with close to 200,000 miles is still running strong. All the power functions work, and the craziest thing is that I have not yet replaced even one stock bulb anywhere on the car. I don't know what the hell they made that car out of
Old 08-28-2002, 09:10 AM
Sanduguero

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SHPatel
[B]

I agree, my 91 max with close to 200,000 miles is still running strong. All the power functions work, and the craziest thing is that I have not yet replaced even one stock bulb anywhere on the car. I don't know what the hell they made that car out of

IMO the more gadgets they put the more problems!! like the seat memory adjuster its a piece of *&^%% They put more stuff everytime and thats the more money they get i guess like just to read your codes is like 50-$100 bucks thats a cover up there!!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:29 AM
OG and counting...

Did you check your SCV (Speed Control Volume) setting? Chances are, it might be on high. You would have to go to the audio button to get to it and select SCV off.

As far as 2K2 problems.....

a) Hood flutter after the TSB was done
b) Rotors
c) Cracked Wind Deflector
Old 08-28-2002, 09:34 AM

Ok people let's call a duck a duck. Nissan is offering a rich mans car for people with a poor mans wage. Nissan is given us thing on the Maxima that would cost us an arm and a leg if it was a Bimmer, MB or Lexus. By them giving us 50K features for less than 30K you have to except the fact that there is going to be allot of problems (like rattling, road noise and whatever else that you might consider an issue).
I hate to be the one to say this because I once or twice posted about the problems with Nissan but if you are paying less than 30K for a so-call lux sport sedan don't complain when you get what you paid for.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:52 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

ya know... I am constantly upset about on thing or another about my max.. but honestly, sit down and read

http://www.myaudittsucks.com/

http://www.myvwlemon.com/ (bbs)

I mean, I came >< this close to getting a Passat or A4. Heck, even a TT at one time (no laughing out there). Anyho, after 20 mins on these sites, I took a deep breath and actually felt good about my max. Even rotors and paint are a problem with others like acura and bmw. Even main bearings in the M series. We really dont have it *that* bad.

I'll tell you tho, the 2k2 is kinda depressing. It almost seems like a first year run, not a 3rd year. I think statistically, the 2k year model was as or less rough (2k auto slipping issue vs 2k2 6sp issues - and even some 2k2 auto problems).
Old 08-28-2002, 09:55 AM
OG and counting...

I look at it this way. EVERY car has quirks.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:16 AM

According to jdpower.com the 2k2 has a lower initial quality that 2k and 2k1 models.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by nice95GLE
Ok people let's call a duck a duck. Nissan is offering a rich mans car for people with a poor mans wage. Nissan is given us thing on the Maxima that would cost us an arm and a leg if it was a Bimmer, MB or Lexus. By them giving us 50K features for less than 30K you have to except the fact that there is going to be allot of problems (like rattling, road noise and whatever else that you might consider an issue).
I hate to be the one to say this because I once or twice posted about the problems with Nissan but if you are paying less than 30K for a so-call lux sport sedan don't complain when you get what you paid for.
I am allowed to complain simply for this reason. My 91 max which I paid $17,000 for fully loaded has not had one mechanical failure whether it be power seats, windows or air leaking through the sunroof. So I don't think that because we're getting a so-called bargain we should get jipped out of a quality car. That's just my opinion
Old 08-28-2002, 02:48 PM

i have to say, 2k2's built quality sucked. never had 1 single problem with my 96. And i miss the triple doorseal.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:28 PM
I miss the .org!

I got a 2K2 a month and a half ago. This is my first Maxima, and also my first new car. I have to say I am Loving the car. It does have quite a few problems I have been too busy/lazy to get fixed. It's also a headache to chase down the dealer. But I still love my car.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:13 PM

I think it's weird that the 2k2 Max is having this many problems. I have a 2k1 SE manual, and have nearly 30K on it. All I have done to it is change the oil.

Even though the max is a relative bargain it is still a nearly 30,000 dollar car and should be built solid. Reliability was the deciding factor between my max and a A4. If Nissan slips on this I might not buy another Max.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Maxima Dan
I think it's weird that the 2k2 Max is having this many problems. I have a 2k1 SE manual, and have nearly 30K on it. All I have done to it is change the oil.

Even though the max is a relative bargain it is still a nearly 30,000 dollar car and should be built solid. Reliability was the deciding factor between my max and a A4. If Nissan slips on this I might not buy another Max.
same here, no problems (knock on wood) on my 2K1 w/ over 25K miles.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:50 PM

What are you guys talking about.. Look at the accords, camry's, mercury sables LOL... even teh Grand Prix..

I have never heard of so many friggin problems in a car, regardless of price. My mazda protege and many others never run in to any problems. And these problems are not associated with EXTRA features:

1. Hood vibration
2. $hitty 6 speed shifter
3. Dimly lit check engine
4. Throttle lag (stupid drive by wire)
5. 3 recalls on one model year
6. Half a million TSB's
7. BOse rattle
8. Flashing HID's (flash to pass and alarm mode)
9. Car failed to start 5 times
10. False alarms (got in my car, started the motor, then alarm goes off)
11. Cracked foglights (nissan refuses to fess up to the fact that the glass foglights are crap)
12. Crappy NIssan paint (chips and flakes like crazy)
13. Wind noise

Now you have it....

ED
Old 08-28-2002, 07:35 PM

Hmm I have had very few problems on my 2k2. Not many paint chips, all electronics work. The sunroof switch is finicky, but I hardly even notice it. The shifter isn't that bad compared to my old Eclipse. Alittle BG Synchroshift II should cure that completely. Rear deck rattels alittle but most car's with factory subs do. Had the control arm recall done and that was it. My only real complaint is that the A/C is inefficient in temps over 90 degrees.

Jesse
Old 08-28-2002, 08:04 PM

Wow. I feel lucky I guess 'cause my 2k2 has been trouble free except for the recalls, which I think were minor glitches. I mean no problems at all...knock on wood. I have the throttle lag that we all hate..but have learned to deal with it. Sorry to hear about the glitches you others have.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:16 PM

hahahah wait till your paint turns to hell. but its all good. I love the car till the day it dies on me. c. 2050 A.D.
Roger
Old 08-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have had the same problems with my automatic seats. And yes, to all of those who reply, I do have my switch in the "on" position and I have read the 7-8 reasons in the owner's manual that cause the seats not to wrok. Bottom line is that I had my car in the dealership 5 TIMES!!! so they could fix the seats. Each time I went to ppick it up, they told me that they had never heard of this problem and that they could not replicate it; therefore, they just sat in my car and then returned it at the end of the day - it always worked for them until the fourth time when I picked it up. I asked the service manager to follwo me to the car so that I could make sure it was working, and, much to my delight (disgust), the seat did not work. I demanded that he get me a rental car as I was not going to accept the car until it was fixed. I told him that I was calling NISSAN1 and he asked me if I wanted hiim fired. I told him that I wanted my car fixed. The tech told me that Nissan Tech Support would not let them replace any individual parts because they could not find any idividual parts that were defective.

They ended up taking an entire system off of a 2003 and replaced every electronic component in the seats.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by brianandcarrie
I have had the same problems with my automatic seats. And yes, to all of those who reply, I do have my switch in the "on" position and I have read the 7-8 reasons in the owner's manual that cause the seats not to wrok. Bottom line is that I had my car in the dealership 5 TIMES!!! so they could fix the seats. Each time I went to ppick it up, they told me that they had never heard of this problem and that they could not replicate it; therefore, they just sat in my car and then returned it at the end of the day - it always worked for them until the fourth time when I picked it up. I asked the service manager to follwo me to the car so that I could make sure it was working, and, much to my delight (disgust), the seat did not work. I demanded that he get me a rental car as I was not going to accept the car until it was fixed. I told him that I was calling NISSAN1 and he asked me if I wanted hiim fired. I told him that I wanted my car fixed. The tech told me that Nissan Tech Support would not let them replace any individual parts because they could not find any idividual parts that were defective.

They ended up taking an entire system off of a 2003 and replaced every electronic component in the seats.
That scares me:
Old 08-29-2002, 07:28 AM

Haven't done anything to my 2k1 except change the oil. I have 43,400 miles on my car and the only thing that keeps bothering me is the BOSE rear deck rattle. I fixed it a long time time ago, but it has come back with a vengence. I thought about getting a 2k2 and trading in mine, but i wanted to see how they held up in the first year. Glad i stuck with mine! Other than that i love my max, and i have no doubt it will go 200,000 miles or more.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:28 AM

This thread scares the hell out of me guys. I've got a 97 SE with 242,000 miles on it and originally it was my intention to replace it with a Certified pre-owned GS400 lexus. However, in the last few months I've fallen in love with the way the 02 and 03 max look. If I get a new max instead am I asking for headaches?
Old 08-29-2002, 08:33 AM
jjs

Originally posted by caz41
This thread scares the hell out of me guys. I've got a 97 SE with 242,000 miles on it and originally it was my intention to replace it with a Certified pre-owned GS400 lexus. However, in the last few months I've fallen in love with the way the 02 and 03 max look. If I get a new max instead am I asking for headaches?
In a word...YES.

Go with the GS400. If anything goes wrong, you will have Lexus service.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by caz41
Man thats alot of miles on a 97, but anyway my 2k2 has given me some problems way more than my 97 Has for 5 years which is none. I sometimes hate to drive it I start thinking to myself whats going to happen today, whereas my 97 I look forward to driving it as it is as solid as it was 54,000 miles ago when it was new. I am seriously thinking about ridding myself of my 2k2 and getting something else but keeping the 97 as my wife and I both enjoy it.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The 2K2 GLE I have is my first Nissan. The only problem I have experienced is the cracked sunroof wind deflector. I have not seen any of the other problems listed here.

No BOSE rattle.
No wind noise.
No false alarms.
No paint chips.

As the miles rack up, I hope I don't experience these annoyances. I suppose this could have a lot to do with when your 2K2 was built. The last JD Powers survey I saw listed Nissan as number 6 on the list for intial customer satisfaction -- they did slip a couple of spots.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:18 AM

I guess I'm happy I got a 2k. Let's see....my list of problems after 54,000 miles.

1. Sunroof. Took me 30 seconds to fix.

That's it.

As far as wind noise? Sorry, but I don't notice an overwhelming amount of wind noise. Granted, I'm not comparing it to a Mercedes or anything, but it seems fine.

It sucks you guys are having problems. Thankfully, I can't relate.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:27 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

rattle in dash
rear window wind noise (just fixed)
slight rough idle when warm outside
jerk or slip above 4K RPM in 3rd or 4th
a few paint chips (dealer airbrushed it and did a shi**y job)
left front strut noise

....basically the same problems as my 2000 SE auto
Old 08-29-2002, 11:35 AM

that really sucks...

i only had two problem with my 2000...a faulty cat...which was fixed under warranty, and my alternator(which i think was blown because of my system anywayz) which was also fixed under warranty...

i modded my car alot and have 79,000 miles on it...still going strong..