5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

how do i know if my shocks are blown??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 11:27 AM

how do i know if my shocks are blown??

i'm at 72000 miles now and i've been resisting the urge to lower my car for practicality. but now that i'm at such a high mileage i may have to get new shocks, in which case i might as well go aftermarket and get the drop.
in any case, i haven't noticed much of a difference in ride since i got new tires (which made the biggest difference so far). no bouncing or ungainly behavior. so am i still ok? or is it just a fact of life that i should change em every 70k?
i'm considering a maxspeed/tokico combo with my next set of tires. so weigh in on this please.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:40 AM

Get new shocks, it will amaze you how much better it handles with the springs
Old 08-27-2002, 11:57 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Cutlr7
Get new shocks, it will amaze you how much better it handles with the springs
but exactly how do you know when they are bad??

since this is one of those items that wears and deteriorates gradually, often people just get used to teh car and think it is fine and the way it should be...

what test is commonly used to determine when they go?
Old 08-27-2002, 12:59 PM

i thought u just press down on them... and watch how it bounces up... if it does it nice and gentle... supposedly your shocks are shot... It should bounce right back up...
Old 08-27-2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by jjs

but exactly how do you know when they are bad??

since this is one of those items that wears and deteriorates gradually, often people just get used to teh car and think it is fine and the way it should be...

what test is commonly used to determine when they go?
The most common test is to push down on either the front or the back of the car as hard as you can. If the car come back up to it's original postion your shocks are fine, but if the car bounces several times before finally coming back to it's original postion you need new shocks.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Max Evol X
i thought u just press down on them... and watch how it bounces up... if it does it nice and gentle... supposedly your shocks are shot... It should bounce right back up...
That's my understanding too! On new shocks, pressing down the piston should be difficult...and the rebound should be pretty quick (not shooting back up quick, but a fast paced quick). If it's the exact opposite, then your shocks are basically shot. Just think of it this way, if a person can easily compress a shock then it won't do any good on a 3k lb car like the Max.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:25 PM

Re: how do i know if my shocks are blown??

Originally posted by serin
i'm at 72000 miles now and i've been resisting the urge to lower my car for practicality. but now that i'm at such a high mileage i may have to get new shocks, in which case i might as well go aftermarket and get the drop.
in any case, i haven't noticed much of a difference in ride since i got new tires (which made the biggest difference so far). no bouncing or ungainly behavior. so am i still ok? or is it just a fact of life that i should change em every 70k?
i'm considering a maxspeed/tokico combo with my next set of tires. so weigh in on this please.

the setup you want is with H&R springs and tokico blues; your ride will not be stiff; it will be better than stock. I have had a full car of people and they tell me that the ride is smooth (before I told them about my suspension mods). The drive way I go up has a 35+ degree slope for 12 feet; I have yet to scrape. Find someone with an aftermarket suspension and go for a ride.
You'llllllllllll see
Old 08-27-2002, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: how do i know if my shocks are blown??

Originally posted by T-bone

the setup you want is with H&R springs and tokico blues; your ride will not be stiff; it will be better than stock. I have had a full car of people and they tell me that the ride is smooth (before I told them about my suspension mods). The drive way I go up has a 35+ degree slope for 12 feet; I have yet to scrape. Find someone with an aftermarket suspension and go for a ride.
You'llllllllllll see
why not maxspeeds though? arent they close to stock ride and half the price
Old 08-27-2002, 02:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: how do i know if my shocks are blown??

Originally posted by stose95

why not maxspeeds though? arent they close to stock ride and half the price
my thoughts too. i guess we won't really know unless someone who's had maxspeeds on for a while chimes in and lets us know how they're holding up. altho i can't imagine anything on a coil spring going wrong. it's not like it's gonna unwind..
Old 08-27-2002, 03:43 PM

It is like aging you will never feel it till you feel the difference. After even 40 k you will feel the difference.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:46 PM

Re: how do i know if my shocks are blown??

Originally posted by serin
I have a set ok Tokicos if you still wanna do this combo. They were hardly use.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:52 PM

Re: Re: how do i know if my shocks are blown??

Originally posted by T-bone

You'llllllllllll see
where's the best place to buy h&r springs and tokico blues???
Old 08-27-2002, 08:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: how do i know if my shocks are blown??

Originally posted by MAXRAY

where's the best place to buy h&r springs and tokico blues???
shox.com
tirerack.com ...do a search there is a lot more places.. i have set of blues hardly use if you wanna buy them..i also have a set of eibachs...email me at deven.dsl@verizon.net if you interested. i have progress and agx setup..