5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

paint concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 06:41 PM
tsb
Newbie - Just Registered

paint concerns

I'm seriously considering a Maxima SE (sterling mist), but after reading all of the posts about excessive paint chipping I am having second thoughts. I realize that modern paints are not as durable as those used in the past, however the posts that I have read indicate that the paint Nissan uses is really garbage. I would consider having an invisible bra installed, but I plan on leasing the car and would like to avoid the cost if possible. I just can't see letting such a beautiful car be damaged due to a known condition. Anyway, how bad is this paint issue really? Is it worse than other cars or comparable? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:24 PM

IMO, it is pretty bad. I try not to sneeze too close to the car to avoid chipping the paint... I'm glad I don't have to take highways to work everyday. Last Friday took the highway to meet my wife at her workplace and sure enough, it got several new ones
Old 08-27-2002, 11:05 PM

Well if you buy a Sterling Mist of white maxima you wont notice the chips/scratches as much. I had a black '99 maxima and the paint chips and scratches were crazy. I was scared to touch the paint with my bare hands without putting new scratches into it. As for the pearl white on my 2k2, I noticed 2 paint chips, but other than that Im happy with it.

Nathan
Old 08-28-2002, 11:26 PM

here's the inside scoop ....

Paint chips is going to get worse since the government came out with a bulletin recommending the decrease in usage of lead based paint by vehicle manufacturers. Lead is toxic, but it adds strength to paint. Instead, paint with higher water content(in place of lead) is now commonly used among all car manufacturers; just ask a Ferrari owner and you'll realize that the paint is often described as soft as butter. In addition, car makers get increase in revenue from the repainting/repair of damaged paint by their own body shop(dealer price!). Thus, it’s the consumers who’ll have to cough up money for the inevitable(paint chips, nicks, and scratches).

For those who wants the result of the paint protection film installation to look MINT(DIY is fine with easy pieces, but how good are you at trimming on your car with a SHARP razor blade?):

There is a bunch of 3M Scotchcal paint protection film sellers. Unfortunately, most people do not know how to chose one. What people should look for is the price for the amount of coverage, how thoroughly will an area be cover (does a full bumper get wrap to the wheel well?), how many pieces to cover a big area(minimum number of seams from pieces meeting), and most importantly, how competent is the installer (don't even bother doing the hard pieces yourself, you'll just be throwing away money since extensive training is a MUST!). Majority of installers will not be able to install a ONE piece to fully cover the front bumper from wheel well to wheel well. Look for those who can do it competently with MINIMUM amount of silvering, haze, bubbles, and imperfections; remember that you are paying for protection not perfection, and installers are only human. An experience installer is the #1 indication that you are getting what you pay for, since they don’t come cheap, and cheap installers doesn’t come good. Anybody can sell the film (the cheaper the film, the smaller the pieces?!), but it's hard to find a competent installer who is passionate in applying the film; it's LITERALLY an art to them not just a job. And they are their own hardest critics. Good Luck on your quest to stop the paint chip maker from decreasing the value of your vehicle. All paint protection product question welcome!

Ps. GREAT!!! product to seal/cover paint chips on hood – the magnetic hood bra.