5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 06:55 PM

I don't understand what kind of "quality" can make a mercedes triple the price of a fully loaded maxima with HID headlights, leather, sunroof,bose,navigation system. 6 disc cd player... I just don't see it.
drive a new SL500, or a CLK, then see if you think the same way. i can bet you will see what kind of 'quality' makes that difference.
Old 09-01-2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by bose2000gle

drive a new SL500, or a CLK, then see if you think the same way. i can bet you will see what kind of 'quality' makes that difference.
i'll have to agree...there is a reason for the quality/price difference.

thus, i'll have to say that the maxima is in class by itself!
Old 09-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by floridabornmax
They dont offer HID headlights, Navi system and bose in that car, besides they are from a new company who is trying to get noticed. But still, a benz worth more than 3 fully loaded maxima's? Yes, 3 of them! You can run all 3 hard as hell, be fully loaded and I will bet it will last longer than that one benz. Also, sometimes their lil 2 seaters are that much, and for a lil car, thats not worth that much.
Note. You mentioned "build quality" not "features" and i based my statements on that.

If you get a stripped MB (no premium audio, no dvd nav), it won't have the features of a fully loaded Max but the build quality would still be a lot better than our Maxima's.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by soundmike

Note. You mentioned "build quality" not "features" and i based my statements on that.

If you get a stripped MB (no premium audio, no dvd nav), it won't have the features of a fully loaded Max but the build quality would still be a lot better than our Maxima's.

I know it is better! But is it $50,000 better?
Old 09-01-2002, 08:00 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

I know it is better! But is it $50,000 better?
\

Depends, which particular MB are we talking about?

Even a $25,000 C230 has (IMHO) better build quality than our Maxima. Why didn't i get it? It's just too small and underpowered as far as i'm concerned.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

\

Depends, which particular MB are we talking about?

Even a $25,000 C230 has (IMHO) better build quality than our Maxima. Why didn't i get it? It's just too small and underpowered as far as i'm concerned.
Yes but what does build quality do? Just makes a more quiet and smooth ride or what?
Old 09-01-2002, 09:54 PM

Floridabornmax, good build quality not only makes a car more reliable. It makes you appreciate your car more and enhances the overall driving experience, which, in essence, is the reason why people pay $50,000 for a car.

Trust me, if you drove a Dodge Neon for a month, then switched to an Audi A6 or 5-series BMW, you would notice there's a BIG difference in build quality--from American tackiness and mediocrity to timeless aesthetic design and seamless perfection. That is true build quality.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Mystical2k2SE
Floridabornmax, good build quality not only makes a car more reliable. It makes you appreciate your car more and enhances the overall driving experience, which, in essence, is the reason why people pay $50,000 for a car.

Trust me, if you drove a Dodge Neon for a month, then switched to an Audi A6 or 5-series BMW, you would notice there's a BIG difference in build quality--from American tackiness and mediocrity to timeless aesthetic design and seamless perfection. That is true build quality.
well ya, a dodge neon is worse than my bike. I would rather ride my cycle to work. But i'm saying compared to a new maxima. I can't see the ride getting much smoother than a new maxima. I guess I need to test drive a 60 G benz
Old 09-01-2002, 10:56 PM

well ya, a dodge neon is worse than my bike. I would rather ride my cycle to work. But i'm saying compared to a new maxima. I can't see the ride getting much smoother than a new maxima. I guess I need to test drive a 60 G benz
Yeah, contrary to popular myth on this board, there are better cars than the Maxima. Nissan put a great engine in it, but they pretty much skimped on the paint and interior quality to save some money and keep the price down.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:57 PM

Old 09-02-2002, 07:25 AM

A stock Maxima has a smooth ride?! Its ride is rougher than almost any family sedan on the market. When will Nissan realize that a sport suspension doesn't mean a rough ride?
Old 09-02-2002, 08:46 AM

to add to this, floridabornmax, just run your hand over the leather of a mercedes or lexus, then do the same with a max. our leather is among the poorest quality i've seen in a car. nissan should have just gone with the leatherette, akin to the new A4s...looks much better, feels WAAAAY smoother.

need more? rap your knuckles over any part of the dash in your car, then do it in a mercedes...this one doesn't need explanation. with the window down, slam the door of a max, then a mercedes. all these little things add up to an infinitely more solid, and just substantial feel in a luxury car that you wont see in an options spec sheet. you're missing the point if you counter this with, "well the max has xenons, bose, nav, etc".

Originally posted by Green 2kSE

A stock Maxima has a smooth ride?! Its ride is rougher than almost any family sedan on the market. When will Nissan realize that a sport suspension doesn't mean a rough ride?
Old 09-02-2002, 08:49 AM

I think it's a lot smoother than the new Altima and Accord's ride. And the Camry is just awful. Its loud and the steering is terrible. The car feels like it is swaying back and forth while your driving over 60mph.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:56 AM

you had a completely different experience than i did in those two cars. the v6 camry, in my opinion was significantly quieter than our cars...the ride itself was buttery smooth. the accord, was probably between the camry and maxima in terms of ride smoothness. that is weird that we walked away from the same experience with completely divergent opinions...a lot of professional auto journalists will agree with my take on the camry. toyota's trademark is quietness and ride serenity.

I think it's a lot smoother than the new Altima and Accord's ride. And the Camry is just awful. Its loud and the steering is terrible. The car feels like it is swaying back and forth while your driving over 60mph.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Young04
you had a completely different experience than i did in those two cars. the v6 camry, in my opinion was significantly quieter than our cars...the ride itself was buttery smooth. the accord, was probably between the camry and maxima in terms of ride smoothness. that is weird that we walked away from the same experience with completely divergent opinions...a lot of professional auto journalists will agree with my take on the camry. toyota's trademark is quietness and ride serenity.

I agree, my parents own a 1998 V6 XLE Camry. The ride is smooth and buttery, sure not silky like Lexus but its pretty close. Never driven a BMW or Mercedes but im sure they are equally the same. My take is that Toyota's mission is to provide the smoothest care free ride out threre with a touch of luxury. Nissan's would probably be more suited to those that love to drive by offering a sportier car. As for honda, right smack in the middle?? The middle child no body likes
Old 09-02-2002, 10:05 AM

bmw's and mercs just feel rock solid...the mercedes more so. japanese lux cars' smoothness can be described as feeling like you're floating, whereas german lux cars feel like you're riding in a moving rock. as much as i love my 2k2, i do get jealous cause our cars are extremely skittish in comparison.

Originally posted by johncg316

I agree, my parents own a 1998 V6 XLE Camry. The ride is smooth and buttery, sure not silky like Lexus but its pretty close. Never driven a BMW or Mercedes but im sure they are equally the same. My take is that Toyota's mission is to provide the smoothest care free ride out threre with a touch of luxury. Nissan's would probably be more suited to those that love to drive by offering a sportier car. As for honda, right smack in the middle?? The middle child no body likes
Old 09-02-2002, 10:39 AM

bmw's and mercs just feel rock solid...the mercedes more so. japanese lux cars' smoothness can be described as feeling like you're floating, whereas german lux cars feel like you're riding in a moving rock. as much as i love my 2k2, i do get jealous cause our cars are extremely skittish in comparison.

The 1996 Camry, which my friend has had a great ride and still does with over 130k miles. But I drove a rented Camry for a few days on the interstate and it felt like it was pulling me off the road. It wasnt sturdy, it was moving all over the place.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:50 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Is it in the same class as the Acura TL and BMW 3 series, or in the class with a camry or accord?
Same class currently as the Accord/Camry really. Until it moves up a size then it will be Avalon competition and Diamente.

It doesn't compare to a TL or BMW at all. Those 2 cars are in there own class above Nissan/Toy.

Old 09-02-2002, 10:51 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Ya, but what does the infinity have that a new, fully loaded maxima doesnt have? Nothing is the answer. I don't think there is much more you can put into a car with xenon headlights, navigation system, leather, sunroof, 255hp v6, etc etc
It actually has alot. Go drive one and you will see the differences.

Old 09-02-2002, 10:54 AM
RussMaxManiac

The only thing is, the Maxima is not mid-sized.
The Maxima is MID SIZED. www.edmunds.com if you want to have proof.

Old 09-02-2002, 11:09 AM

Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

Same class currently as the Accord/Camry really. Until it moves up a size then it will be Avalon competition and Diamente.

It doesn't compare to a TL or BMW at all. Those 2 cars are in there own class above Nissan/Toy.
Probably because the Maxima doesn't come standard with everything. Thats why its not in a "luxury" type class. But a fully loaded Maxima has full rights to be in a Acura TL's class.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

But a fully loaded Maxima has full rights to be in a Acura TL's class.
No, it doesn't. Repeat after me, the I35 is the TL fighter!
Old 09-02-2002, 11:23 AM
RussMaxManiac

Probably because the Maxima doesn't come standard with everything. Thats why its not in a "luxury" type class. But a fully loaded Maxima has full rights to be in a Acura TL's class.
You will never learn.

NISSAN is not INFINITI.

Old 09-02-2002, 11:25 AM

you're getting fixated on the features again...are you ignoring all those posts by all those people about build quality/materials, etc???????

Old 09-02-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

you're getting fixated on the features again...are you ignoring all those posts by all those people about build quality/materials, etc???????

No, but I guess I'm fixated on options. But if the TL is so much " better" why does the new maxima have a bigger and stronger engine?
Old 09-02-2002, 11:35 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

No, but I guess I'm fixated on options. But if the TL is so much " better" why does the new maxima have a bigger and stronger engine?
260 HP TL, 255 hp MAX.

Base TL 225 hp, older Maxima 222.

2004 TL 280hp 3.5L AND CL most likely.

So if I had a Hyundai Sonata that came with a 240hp engine, would it be classified as LUXURY or in the same class as the Max or TL or whatever?

LOL!

Old 09-02-2002, 11:39 AM

260 HP TL, 255 hp MAX.

So if I had a Hyundai Sonata that came with a 240hp engine, would it be classified as LUXURY or in the same class as the Max or TL or whatever?

LOL!
Maximas got more Torque than jOO.
3.5 vs. 3.2 = more displacement than jOO.
Ok anyways Infiniti=Acura
Nissan=Honda
Old 09-02-2002, 11:41 AM

260 HP TL, 255 hp MAX.

LOL!
ya but a 2002 TL comes with a 225 HP engine or a 260 correct? It doesnt come standard at 260
Old 09-02-2002, 11:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

ya but a 2002 TL comes with a 225 HP engine or a 260 correct? It doesnt come standard at 260
Or does that just depend on RPM?
Old 09-02-2002, 12:02 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

Maximas got more Torque than jOO.
3.5 vs. 3.2 = more displacement than jOO.
Ok anyways Infiniti=Acura
Nissan=Honda
So?

TQ only helps off the line, in any day driving on rolls, highway, its all about HP, and this car has plenty of TQ. Why have more TQ when you can't even put it to the ground without spinning?! :P

Old 09-02-2002, 12:03 PM
RussMaxManiac

TL has been around since 99 with 225hp.

It was already way ahead of the Maxima and they only do 5-6 year changes. 2004 it will again lead.

Old 09-02-2002, 12:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

It was already way ahead of the Maxima and they only do 5-6 year changes. 2004 it will again lead.
Well, from what I hear from a Nissan Engineer, is that Nissan is planning a V-8 for 2005
Old 09-02-2002, 12:58 PM

With your track record of predicting car changes, I wouldn't bet on it!
Old 09-02-2002, 01:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

With your track record of predicting car changes, I wouldn't bet on it!
Maybe an optional V-8
Old 09-02-2002, 01:21 PM

Of course Russ, of course.....we all know that now you own an Acura, and their the best no matter what......right Russ?
Old 09-02-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by JAKE02

Of course Russ, of course.....we all know that now you own an Acura, and their the best no matter what......right Russ?
The CL is cheaper than the TL anyways
Old 09-02-2002, 01:31 PM

What class is the new fully loaded SE?

You will never learn.

NISSAN is not INFINITI.

Although I do understand your point about the I35 being a direct competitor to the TL.....I don't think floridabornmax is the only person that thinks that Maxima compares nicely to the TL in terms of Preformance and Quality.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:48 PM

Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by johncg316

Although I do understand your point about the I35 being a direct competitor to the TL.....I don't think floridabornmax is the only person that thinks that Maxima compares nicely to the TL in terms of Preformance and Quality.

The only thing I can think of is "ride quality" because the TL has nothing in terms of physical features more than the Maxima. And that is a fact.
Old 09-02-2002, 04:28 PM

Floridabornmax, not to beat a dead horse, but I have a homework assignment for you .

Stop by your local BMW dealership sometime and ask to sit inside a 330ci or 540i. Pay close attention to the fit and finish of the interior, i.e. comfort, quality and texture of materials, center console layout, ergonomics. Then go to a Nissan dealership and do the same thing with an '02/03 Maxima.

If your observations do not change your attitude about build quality, comeback here and tell us about it. Cool?
Old 09-02-2002, 04:37 PM
RussMaxManiac

Well, from what I hear from a Nissan Engineer, is that Nissan is planning a V-8 for 2005
V8 is possible but not likely. 3.5L V6 currently is getting moved into the Maxima 2004 body.

Quick Reply: What class is the new fully loaded SE?