5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 06:34 PM

What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Is it in the same class as the Acura TL and BMW 3 series, or in the class with a camry or accord?
Old 08-29-2002, 06:38 PM

Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by floridabornmax
Is it in the same class as the Acura TL and BMW 3 series, or in the class with a camry or accord?
in the middle of both
Old 08-29-2002, 06:44 PM
Maxima06071

Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by redfly17

in the middle of both
Yeah, the Maxima has always been kinda classless.
But It's kinda cool that way!
People really have nothing to compare you(car) against.

Old 08-29-2002, 06:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by Maxima06071
Yeah, the Maxima has always been kinda classless.
But It's kinda cool that way!
People really have nothing to compare you(car) against.

It seems like it is higher than an accord and camry by far. Always has a bigger engine, nicer features but it is almost indentical with the TL. It seems as if Nissan is competing with the TL.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

It seems like it is higher than an accord and camry by far. Always has a bigger engine, nicer features but it is almost indentical with the TL. It seems as if Nissan is competing with the TL.
Not really, the Infiniti I35 is the TL's direct competitor.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by Green 2kSE

Not really, the Infiniti I35 is the TL's direct competitor.
Ya, but what does the infinity have that a new, fully loaded maxima doesnt have? Nothing is the answer. I don't think there is much more you can put into a car with xenon headlights, navigation system, leather, sunroof, 255hp v6, etc etc
Old 08-29-2002, 11:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Ya, but what does the infinity have that a new, fully loaded maxima doesnt have? Nothing is the answer. I don't think there is much more you can put into a car with xenon headlights, navigation system, leather, sunroof, 255hp v6, etc etc
It has 4 years/60kmi basic warranty and 6 years/70kmi powertrain to start with. The build control is better and the dealer service is miles ahead of Nissan. Yes, the powertrain is the same but that doesn't make the I35 a Max. Since 2000 both exteriors and interiors are different, with better quality, more insulation, features, etc.. Bottom line, the cars appeal to different public and the "I" public is closer to the "TL" than the "M" public. BTW, I had a loaded I30t 5spd before I got the Max, so I know the difference. The only reason I am not driving another I is because I can't get a manual tranny. Well, that and I got my car for a steal.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

a car isn't all about what it has on paper. we have lexus es300's beat on just about every aspect, statistically. but if it is pure luxury that a particular buyer wants, i think most people in that case would opt for the lexus over the maxima (not if you enjoy driving though). like green 2kse says, the intangibles like build quality, and just the "feel" of the car matter as well, which will be factored into the price. if you want couple more features that we have, that the TL doesn't, try wind noise, road noise, and a noisy suspension

Old 08-30-2002, 06:01 AM

Other than warranty & service the TL & Maxima offer almost the exact thing, engine, size, @ options. If you took that Acura baggage and put Honda on there you guys would not say they are in different class.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by MarcusJY
Other than warranty & service the TL & Maxima offer almost the exact thing, engine, size, @ options. If you took that Acura baggage and put Honda on there you guys would not say they are in different class.
I agree with you Marcus by the way Nice you see another Marcus on the org. Plane and simple the luxuary badge alone will blind people that is why Lexus, Acura, and Infinite exist here in the states and now where else. The same I35 we have here in the states is the Maxima everywhere else in the world you can get on with cloth seats and a manual trans. Makes you wonder if car companies think the US consumer are sheep.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:37 AM
Very sound, Mike

In terms of size, i'd say the Maxima competes more with the Avalon.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's funny, in other countries they cannot use the names Lexus, Infinity or any of the others because it is considered fraud! I was in Australia this year and it's real weird to see "Honda Integra's or Honda NSX's)

I think the one thing that someone in the U.S CAN count on from these prestigous names is SERVICE. Other than that, I think they are the same cars, with a few bells and whistles if anything.

Tom
Old 08-30-2002, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by grey2002_ny
It's funny, in other countries they cannot use the names Lexus, Infinity or any of the others because it is considered fraud! I was in Australia this year and it's real weird to see "Honda Integra's or Honda NSX's)

I think the one thing that someone in the U.S CAN count on from these prestigous names is SERVICE. Other than that, I think they are the same cars, with a few bells and whistles if anything.

Tom
I also think people buy cars for the names more than quality sometimes. I mean, a Mercedes Benz is an unbelievable car, but is it worth triple what you pay for a brand new, fully loaded maxima? Not all of them are that expensive but most of their models are at least double a new maxy. I dont it's worth it, unless I have millions.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:54 AM

I also think people buy cars for the names more than quality sometimes. I mean, a Mercedes Benz is an unbelievable car, but is it worth triple what you pay for a brand new, fully loaded maxima? Not all of them are that expensive but most of their models are at least double a new maxy. I dont it's worth it, unless I have millions.
I totally agree. I know a lot of people will disagree...but I think the same goes for Domestic vs Import. Even though I know Detroit has put out a lot of garbage there are some really nice American made cars, but some people won't touch them just because they have Chrsyler, ford, GM, etc on them. If that Chrsyler 300m would have had Honda on it, its sells would have tripled.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:13 AM

I totally agree. I know a lot of people will disagree...but I think the same goes for Domestic vs Import. Even though I know Detroit has put out a lot of garbage there are some really nice American made cars, but some people won't touch them just because they have Chrsyler, ford, GM, etc on them. If that Chrsyler 300m would have had Honda on it, its sells would have tripled.
Ya, but I won't buy an American car unless it's a truck because I don't think they will last as long as import, but I guess it all depends. I still wouldn't spend 70G on a Benz unless I had millions in my bank account.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:17 PM

I have driven a I30 and GLE quite a few times and I didnt see any difference at all. Maximas main competition died with the CRESSIDA in 92, the were rivals. I think the closest thing to it know is the TL!
Old 08-30-2002, 12:22 PM

I don't agree. Slam the door in a 3 year old Honda and drive it for a few miles. It is impressive how solid and well built it feels. Do the same in a domestic car, even high end stuff like a Seville STS and it is shocking how things rattle, creak and wear out. My Dad has a 4 year old Cadillac and the leather on the steering wheel and seats looks like it is 15 years old with only 35K on the odometer. Scary!
Old 08-30-2002, 12:34 PM

i agree completely, and on the general issue of luxury cars also. there is no doubt that people are paying for the name when they buy a luxury nameplate, but it does have its advantages. get in a lexus, mercedes, or whatever...things that don't show up on paper, such as real wood, high quality leather, softer plastics, higher quality paint, etc, are a part of what makes these vehicles nicer and cost more. the best asset a maxima has is its engine (straightline acceleration). things that are the strong suits of an avalon or even a v6xle camry, serenity of ride, smoothness, quietness...our max's can't touch. it's all in what the particular buyer values most when he searches for a car.

Originally posted by carguyrob

I don't agree. Slam the door in a 3 year old Honda and drive it for a few miles. It is impressive how solid and well built it feels. Do the same in a domestic car, even high end stuff like a Seville STS and it is shocking how things rattle, creak and wear out. My Dad has a 4 year old Cadillac and the leather on the steering wheel and seats looks like it is 15 years old with only 35K on the odometer. Scary!
Old 08-30-2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Young04
i agree completely, and on the general issue of luxury cars also. there is no doubt that people are paying for the name when they buy a luxury nameplate, but it does have its advantages. get in a lexus, mercedes, or whatever...things that don't show up on paper, such as real wood, high quality leather, softer plastics, higher quality paint, etc, are a part of what makes these vehicles nicer and cost more. the best asset a maxima has is its engine (straightline acceleration). things that are the strong suits of an avalon or even a v6xle camry, serenity of ride, smoothness, quietness...our max's can't touch. it's all in what the particular buyer values most when he searches for a car.

I rented a new camry and it drove like CRAP!
Old 08-31-2002, 10:46 PM

hey floridaborn, do you go to UF?
Old 08-31-2002, 11:08 PM

The Maxima belongs in the same class as the Camry and Accord--a fwd, mid-sized sedan. The Acura's are considered "near luxury" cars along with the I35 and A4.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:04 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by Mystical2k2SE
The Maxima belongs in the same class as the Camry and Accord--a fwd, mid-sized sedan. The Acura's are considered "near luxury" cars along with the I35 and A4.
The only thing is, the Maxima is not mid-sized.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

It has 4 years/60kmi basic warranty and 6 years/70kmi powertrain to start with. The build control is better and the dealer service is miles ahead of Nissan. Yes, the powertrain is the same but that doesn't make the I35 a Max. Since 2000 both exteriors and interiors are different, with better quality, more insulation, features, etc.. Bottom line, the cars appeal to different public and the "I" public is closer to the "TL" than the "M" public. BTW, I had a loaded I30t 5spd before I got the Max, so I know the difference. The only reason I am not driving another I is because I can't get a manual tranny. Well, that and I got my car for a steal.
The Maxima and I35 are built in the same place, how can the Infiniti have better build quality?
Old 09-01-2002, 07:11 AM

The Maxima SE is not in the same class as a BMW 330. If there is any BMW that a Maxima should be compared with, it's the 540 6-speed. The 330 is too small and cramped; and the 530 is too slow. I think the closest comparison in terms of size, layout, and performance is the Acura TL-S, which should soon have a six speed of its own.
Old 09-01-2002, 07:19 AM

There are some American cars that have just as good a build quality as imports. A older friend of mine has a Impala (last body style). It has almost 200k and there isn't very many rattles at all. I've also noticed that most American cars doors feel more solid than imports when closing. Chrysler does a fantastic job of making the door feel "solid". Civics and Toyota's feel and sound a little tinny. The Maxima's doors are one of a kind
Old 09-01-2002, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by slickrick
hey floridaborn, do you go to UF?
Ya, I do go to UF. How did you know? You?
Old 09-01-2002, 08:11 AM

yeah. i saw ur sn-floridabornmax, then checked your profile, and it said gators. do you have a black 2k gle with hids and clear tails? if you do i saw it yesterday on university. it had i think gatos stickers for the game. it may not have been you, but i always notice maximas around there, cuz i thought i had the only 2k2 se majestic. wait, it had 5 spoke rims also, i think 18's. they looked like mille miglias i think.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:37 AM

yeah. i saw ur sn-floridabornmax, then checked your profile, and it said gators. do you have a black 2k gle with hids and clear tails? if you do i saw it yesterday on university. it had i think gatos stickers for the game. it may not have been you, but i always notice maximas around there, cuz i thought i had the only 2k2 se majestic. wait, it had 5 spoke rims also, i think 18's. they looked like mille miglias i think.
I have a fully loaded black SE 2000. But yes I did have my gator stuff decked out on my car yesterday but I didn't drive on University before the game. I'm working on 2k2 HID's and TV's but I'm a few months away from completetion. I can't wait until next week, Miami comes to town.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:41 AM

do you have tickets? i wish i did. its gonna be crazy. im leaving my car parked and not moving it all day saturday, parking was a ***** yesterday for the game.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by soundmike

The only thing is, the Maxima is not mid-sized.

Ok man, believe what you want. But the auto industry has standards for classifying cars, mainly for insurance and safety requirements:

subcompact
compact
mid-sized
full-sized
luxury
exotic

Cars like the Maxima, Passat, Camry, Accord, and Grand Prix are listed as "mid-sized fwd sedans". Cars like the 300M, Crown Vic, Impala, Bonneville, and Avalon are listed as "full-sized sedans."
All Acuras, Audis, BWM's, Cadillacs, and Infinities are listed as "luxury" cars.

Probably didn't know that, huh? Well, if you need proof that I'm not blowing smoke, check consumer reports, or any major auto magazine like Motor Trend. You can also check edmunds.com.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Very sound, Mike

Ok man, believe what you want. But the auto industry has standards for classifying cars, mainly for insurance and safety requirements:
I know what you meant, you didn't get mine

I'm saying, comparing the Camry/Accord and Maxima of the same year as far as interior space goes - the Maxima is not "mid-sized"

Old 09-01-2002, 12:03 PM

I know what you meant, you didn't get mine

I'm saying, comparing the Camry/Accord and Maxima of the same year as far as interior space goes - the Maxima is not "mid-sized"

Oh, I thought you were serious. Sorry.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:30 PM
Very sound, Mike

Oh, I thought you were serious. Sorry.
Naaah, that's ok.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:44 PM

do you have tickets? i wish i did. its gonna be crazy. im leaving my car parked and not moving it all day saturday, parking was a ***** yesterday for the game.
ya, I have season student tickets. Message me on AOL when you go on
Old 09-01-2002, 03:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

Originally posted by tbirdrob

The Maxima and I35 are built in the same place, how can the Infiniti have better build quality?
A lot of cars are built in the same plant but with different specs and quality. When I said "build quality", I didn't only imply assembly quality. The part suppliers (hundreds, even thousands) may be different and thus the quality of materials may be different. Pre-2000 Max and I30 were almost the same car except for better sound insulation and a few extra features like LSD on manual cars and standard abs. Since 2000 the differences have widened. You may want to believe that an I35 is just the same as a Maxima, if that makes you feel better, but it doesn't mean it's true. If they were the same cars, JDPower and Consumer Reports surveys would show similar ratings.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

A lot of cars are built in the same plant but with different specs and quality. When I said "build quality", I didn't only imply assembly quality. The part suppliers (hundreds, even thousands) may be different and thus the quality of materials may be different. Pre-2000 Max and I30 were almost the same car except for better sound insulation and a few extra features like LSD on manual cars and standard abs. Since 2000 the differences have widened. You may want to believe that an I35 is just the same as a Maxima, if that makes you feel better, but it doesn't mean it's true. If they were the same cars, JDPower and Consumer Reports surveys would show similar ratings.
I don't understand what kind of "quality" can make a mercedes triple the price of a fully loaded maxima with HID headlights, leather, sunroof,bose,navigation system. 6 disc cd player... I just don't see it.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

I don't understand what kind of "quality" can make a mercedes triple the price of a fully loaded maxima with HID headlights, leather, sunroof,bose,navigation system. 6 disc cd player... I just don't see it.
A lot, if you sit in both cars you'll notice the differences. To give you a different perspective of your own statement.

"What kind of quality can make the Maxima more expensive than fully loaded Hyundai XG350"
Old 09-01-2002, 04:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What class is the new fully loaded SE?

A lot, if you sit in both cars you'll notice the differences. To give you a different perspective of your own statement.

"What kind of quality can make the Maxima more expensive than fully loaded Hyundai XG350"
They dont offer HID headlights, Navi system and bose in that car, besides they are from a new company who is trying to get noticed. But still, a benz worth more than 3 fully loaded maxima's? Yes, 3 of them! You can run all 3 hard as hell, be fully loaded and I will bet it will last longer than that one benz. Also, sometimes their lil 2 seaters are that much, and for a lil car, thats not worth that much.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:35 PM

Class Association Vs. Actual Competition

subcompact
compact
mid-sized
full-sized
luxury
exotic

Cars like the Maxima, Passat, Camry, Accord, and Grand Prix are listed as "mid-sized fwd sedans". Cars like the 300M, Crown Vic, Impala, Bonneville, and Avalon are listed as "full-sized sedans."
All Acuras, Audis, BWM's, Cadillacs, and Infinities are listed as "luxury" cars.

Probably didn't know that, huh? Well, if you need proof that I'm not blowing smoke, check consumer reports, or any major auto magazine like Motor Trend. You can also check edmunds.com.

My two pennies.....
Right now the I think the Maxima is in the same class as the following
Avalon, 5 series, Passat W8, TL. Slotted between Luxury, Mid-sized, Full-sized.

When it comes to actual competition though only the TL or the Passat W8 would qualify in my opinion. Although Passat not as much beacause that sucker weights too much so alot of performance is lost.

This when the Maxima rocks, it gives the best performance,luxury, and space for our money......too bad nissan makes up on that by getting the cheapest paint possible!!!!
Old 09-01-2002, 06:22 PM

Check out the resale values for the same year.
That will tell you what the market thinks.

Quick Reply: What class is the new fully loaded SE?