5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 2k2 6spd vs. BMW 330ci

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 09:06 AM

My 2k2 6spd vs. BMW 330ci

Sup ev'one,

Anyone know how well the 6spd holds up against the 330 on average? It's my understanding that the lower hp rating is not the whole story since BMW is geared so excellently for quickness.

Had a run in with a 330 owner yesterday. He caught me on an merge onto the road as he was already on the road I saw him gun it as he saw me coming onto my lane. He had the outside. I decided to give it a go. It was interesting because he couldn't pull on me and I was able to grab the outside lane safely ahead of him even though he had the intial momentum first and then we came to a light. The stretch of road where I merged and to the light wasn't that long so we both had to accelerate pretty quick. Needless to say the cool breeze here in DC yesterday was a nice addition to my performance.

Anyway, we pull from the light. I'm first he's second behind me. No one in front of us. We pull clear of those behind us and he grabs the open lane next to me. He just couldn't pull on me. He held at about one car length more or less in the rear. I'm by no means a talented driver though I love to drive. In the end as we approach another light I was in fourth gear and let the car slow down a bit without breaking, let him come up a bit and then punched it to walk him real nice since I knew he was slowing to and to bring it to a nice end.

If we had started out door handle to door handle I'm sure I still would have pulled on him but by how much and how quick I'm not sure. My acceleration from the light compared to him seem much better though he is rear wheel drive. The speed with which he was able to accelerate hinted at a manual transmission but I can't be completely sure as he appeared to be shifting to me but maybe the auto's are geared to be quick also (I've never driven one, auto or manual).

Well to conclude the little story here, since my lane was a turning lane at the light and he was going straight he slow downed, gave a honk, wave, and smile and pulled to the light. As my light went green, I pulled pass him with a honk, he saluted and it was all good in the hood that day.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:16 AM
Very sound, Mike

I had an encounter with one before, couldn't tell very well if it was an auto or manual.

In any case, i got the jump on him and managed to stay ahead. I wouldn't say he was closing in on me either. At the best he was just keeping up.

And i have an auto.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:22 AM

330i

I seriously considered getting a 330i before I opted for my 02. The 330 is a very quick car. HP/TQ is slightly less (I believe the efficiency of the BMW 5spd is better than the 6spd). Active handling, RWD, and being a smaller car give the 330i serious handling advantages, especially in the turns. You don't have to be a good driver to whomp through the turns and I suspect the 02's even with a good driver would lose. On a straight away its probably up to the driver. Overall, I still consider the Max a much better deal as its nearly $14k less than a comparably equipped 330i.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Old 08-30-2002, 09:31 AM
BugNout

Originally posted by SprintMax
Racing stories are a no no.

Old 08-30-2002, 11:31 AM

I would take a 330 BMW any day... dont tell me if some one was to give you guys a choice of a new 330 or a new 2k2 max which one would you pick....???? For sure i'll pick 330...
Old 08-30-2002, 11:36 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by jcphamer
I would take a 330 BMW any day... dont tell me if some one was to give you guys a choice of a new 330 or a new 2k2 max which one would you pick....???? For sure i'll pick 330...
It's not a question of which one to get, the guy is asking which one would win in a race.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by soundmike

It's not a question of which one to get, the guy is asking which one would win in a race.
Dude the answer is obvious soundmike!!! of course a manual 330 will beat a manual 2k2 max... what do you think???
Old 08-30-2002, 12:06 PM

yeah, no biggie...

...just wondering about the performance match up is all. I'm a fan of performance sedans in general. I've driven a 528i, 540i, and 328is and love the tactile feel and feedback from the machine that is BMW.

I absolutely love my Max (it is my 3rd max of ownership) for what it is and I don't take the performance of one car being better than another car serious at all. Its all fun and guys like to sport their capabilities from time to time. On occasion, if someone wants to have some fun I'll respond, sure as long as it is that and then we talk comparo afterward. Diversity makes to world go around.

I must say though, I had this one occasion where some guy in a 98 Cobra game gunning down on my rear and I just pulled off from real quick then slowed down. He had a drop top and pulls next to me all upset because I had the audacity to try and do a pull on him. I had my windows (tinted) up and we were both at a light. I chirped my tires at him and he went ballistic.

After a few seconds of watching this guys emotions I rolled down my window and spent about 3 minutes as the light turned green, we were driving very slow door handle to door handle, as I encouraged the dude that "hey, man...it's all in fun...no disrepect and it's not like we were racing or at a track or something...geez." After some coaching he wished me peace and blessings and apology for being so upset. I swear this is a real story. I've never seen anyone so upset of something that didn't even take place or so upset at the possibility of what could take place. It was quite strange watching him act out like that.

Originally posted by soundmike

Old 08-30-2002, 12:11 PM

Dude the answer is obvious soundmike!!! of course a manual 330 will beat a manual 2k2 max... what do you think???
i dont think so it s a drivers race, both 0-60 are in the 5.9-6 range, similiar 1/4 miles times as well. C&D did that mini test of the 03 manual its time are similiar to what they posted for the manual 330.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
i dont think so it s a drivers race, both 0-60 are in the 5.9-6 range, similiar 1/4 miles times as well. C&D did that mini test of the 03 manual its time are similiar to what they posted for the manual 330.
monte are you smoking dope >>>.???

the max 2k2 6speed is 0-60 is around 6.2 sec at best.... and the 330 bmw is 5.9 sec...

yeah it depends alot on the driver. but by far the 330 is a better performance sedan...??

if i give you a 2k2 max and a 330... which one would you take???

huh???
Old 08-30-2002, 01:30 PM

the max 2k2 6speed is 0-60 is around 6.2 sec at best.... and the 330 bmw is 5.9 sec...

yeah it depends alot on the driver. but by far the 330 is a better performance sedan...??

huh???

Well, I just got my Car&Driver in the mail today...and they had a short write up on the 2k2 6-speed...

0-60 @ 6.0 and 1/4 @ 14.7.

One...Jas
Old 08-30-2002, 02:04 PM

I think 330ci vs auto 2k2 are about even. The 3series gearing is great, and the tranny is really efficient. One 330ci dynoed at 196hp.. with 15% drivetrain loss, that would equate to around 240 something horsepower at the crank...

Oh yea, and to all you "BMWS SUCK THEY ARE RIP OFFS"
dont post a reply to me..
Old 08-30-2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Liberation

Well, I just got my Car&Driver in the mail today...and they had a short write up on the 2k2 6-speed...

0-60 @ 6.0 and 1/4 @ 14.7.

One...Jas
Either 6.2 or 6.0 for 0-60, either way its a driver's race. There are too many factors, and .3 seconds is way too close to say the 330 is the winner. Take reaction time, wheelspin, any mods either of you might have; heck even if the tires are underinflated or a little worn, there's your .3 seconds or more. Too many factors...
Old 08-30-2002, 02:16 PM

huh???
Do some research befor opening your mouth, the race would definitely depend on the driver. Both cars are fairly close except for the price.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:18 PM

dyno comparison

The day I dyno'd my stock 6spd SE the car immediately beforme was a stock 5spd 330i. The Max came out with slightly higher numbers (no more than 10 HP/TQ difference but still in favor of the Max). Given that both cars weigh about the same I think it would be a good race to see who would win on the straight away.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

jcphamer,

What's your point? So we get it, u'd take a 330 over a max. That's f*ck'n great. Thanks for informing all of us regarding your worthless opinion. Why don't u do us all a favor and sell your max and get a bimmer then??? Oh, maybe u once did but got kicked off the bimmer boards too for saying dumb things. poor thing.

Mo

Originally posted by xfirepwr1

Do some research befor opening your mouth, the race would definitely depend on the driver. Both cars are fairly close except for the price.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:13 PM

huh???
A 2k2 6 Speed will TOAST a 330ci... 0-60 is trash when it comes to street racing.. try 0-100 or 1/4mile. Show me a stock 330ci with a 14.2 1/4mile run.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
A 2k2 6 Speed will TOAST a 330ci... 0-60 is trash when it comes to street racing.. try 0-100 or 1/4mile. Show me a stock 330ci with a 14.2 1/4mile run.
2k2 Will beat a 330CI in acceleration runs....end of discussion. Now handling and braking thats another story, but we wont get into that.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:59 PM

Ummm since when will a 330Ci beat a 2k2 6speed in a straight line race?

330Ci owners are only able to get mid 14's at best with a great driver and a perfect launch, right where an average 2k2 6speed should be with traction problems and getting 2.4 60ft times Just think, the 2k2 6speeds can get 2.1's and are able to run 14.2's According to your book though, the 2k2 6speed is SLOWER. Is this a baised response? NO! Its a fact.

BUT NO!!! MAGAZINE TIMES ARE THE END OF ALL THINGS DON"T YOU KNOW?

End of discussion little kid.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:12 PM

If you want a fair comparison, you should be looking at the 530, not the 330. The 330 is an EPA class compact car--much smaller than a Maxima. To those who asked the question of whether the 330 is a better car...my opinion is ABSOLUTELY NOT! I get more room, more comfort, and nearly identical performance for at least $10,000 less. It's a no brainer. Now, when you compare to the bigger 530, the performance isn't an issue any more.

The cheapest Bimmer that can compete with the Maxima in terms of comfort, room, AND performance is the $53,000 540 six speed.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by tbirdrob
If you want a fair comparison, you should be looking at the 530, not the 330. The 330 is an EPA class compact car--much smaller than a Maxima. To those who asked the question of whether the 330 is a better car...my opinion is ABSOLUTELY NOT! I get more room, more comfort, and nearly identical performance for at least $10,000 less. It's a no brainer. Now, when you compare to the bigger 530, the performance isn't an issue any more.

The cheapest Bimmer that can compete with the Maxima in terms of comfort, room, AND performance is the $53,000 540 six speed.
Why isnt the 330i a fair comparison to the Maxima? As for it being a better car.....it absolutely is. Yes the Maxima is a much better value, but that does not make it a better car. Performance wise the only thing the Maxima beats the 330i in is acceleration.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
Why isnt the 330i a fair comparison to the Maxima? As for it being a better car.....it absolutely is. Yes the Maxima is a much better value, but that does not make it a better car. Performance wise the only thing the Maxima beats the 330i in is acceleration.
His point was, based on class and size the BMW is to a Civic what a Maxima is to the Accord.

The Maxima may not be the better car but comparing it to the 330 in terms of class/size shouldn't be had in the first place.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by NismoFan
jcphamer,

What's your point? So we get it, u'd take a 330 over a max. That's f*ck'n great. Thanks for informing all of us regarding your worthless opinion. Why don't u do us all a favor and sell your max and get a bimmer then??? Oh, maybe u once did but got kicked off the bimmer boards too for saying dumb things. poor thing.

Mo

Nismo man,

we all know that your max is so f*****n great!!! As you can see, some people do agreed that the 330 is a better car. it is you who is saying dumb things (MO)..
I am just saying the 330 is a good car.. i am not saying the 2k2 max is not great. however. i think in terms of 2k2 max vs. 330 ci. i think the 330 will win in terms of handling, performance, and overall quality. Look inside your Max MO.... you think that is better made than the 330 interior... you must be smoking some joints when you post this... get your head out of the bucket of dung dude...
Old 08-30-2002, 06:19 PM

Nismo man,

we all know that your max is so f*****n great!!! As you can see, some people do agreed that the 330 is a better car. it is you who is saying dumb things (MO)..
I am just saying the 330 is a good car.. i am not saying the 2k2 max is not great. however. i think in terms of 2k2 max vs. 330 ci. i think the 330 will win in terms of handling, performance, and overall quality. Look inside your Max MO.... you think that is better made than the 330 interior... you must be smoking some joints when you post this... get your head out of the bucket of dung dude...
And you know what? Most will agree with what you say. The thing that ticked most of us off is that you said the 2k2 6speed will get whomped on by a 330Ci RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTT...

Bottom line, whatever you think is the better car is personal preference. We're debating about acceleration and you were the first one to bring up other items that has nothing to do with the topic. Save face, admit your wrong, be a man, and live a happy life. Plain and simple. I can understand NismoFans reply, but I can't seem to comprehend yours. Care to explain yourself better? Personally I too think the 330Ci is a better car, but it can't compare with the 2k2 6speed in speed, which you said it'll beat.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

jcphamer,

You just don't seem to get it. We talk apples, you bring up oranges. Now who the hell is the "high" one??? I never claimed my Max is the best, fastest, etc. Again, pointing out things I did not say demonstrates to the rest of us your troubles of comprehending what this topic was originally about - maybe again due to you smoking what you claim everyone else is.

Whatever the case, I am not bashing the 330. It is a great car. Cost aside, yes, I'd take it over my 6spd 2k2. Is it faster? Let's just say I've lost a few times and I won a few times. The numbers are close enough where the driver seems to make the difference. Neither, as you claimed, will "beat the sh*t" out of the other.

Now, I do realize not all things are created equal. Maybe in YOUR eyes, the 330 is quite a bit faster. I can image several reasons for this. They are as follows in the order from least likely to most likely:

1. You have cheap *** tires (kumho) so they never hook up right.
2. You made yourself some homemade CAI which you believe is kick *** when in reality it's probably restricting the crap out of your intake manifold.
3. The girl of your dreams has a bf who has a 330 so you firmly believe she will be yours once you have one.
4. You have an auto but you try to drive it like a stick and run into problems forgetting there is no gear selector option labeled "4th".
5. Your single body weight is more than the combined body weight of at least 3 average size people thus you put the Max. at a large weight disadvantage when compared to a 330.

Which is it?

Mo
Old 08-31-2002, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by NismoFan
jcphamer,

You just don't seem to get it. We talk apples, you bring up oranges. Now who the hell is the "high" one??? I never claimed my Max is the best, fastest, etc. Again, pointing out things I did not say demonstrates to the rest of us your troubles of comprehending what this topic was originally about - maybe again due to you smoking what you claim everyone else is.

Whatever the case, I am not bashing the 330. It is a great car. Cost aside, yes, I'd take it over my 6spd 2k2. Is it faster? Let's just say I've lost a few times and I won a few times. The numbers are close enough where the driver seems to make the difference. Neither, as you claimed, will "beat the sh*t" out of the other.

Now, I do realize not all things are created equal. Maybe in YOUR eyes, the 330 is quite a bit faster. I can image several reasons for this. They are as follows in the order from least likely to most likely:

1. You have cheap *** tires (kumho) so they never hook up right.
2. You made yourself some homemade CAI which you believe is kick *** when in reality it's probably restricting the crap out of your intake manifold.
3. The girl of your dreams has a bf who has a 330 so you firmly believe she will be yours once you have one.
4. You have an auto but you try to drive it like a stick and run into problems forgetting there is no gear selector option labeled "4th".
5. Your single body weight is more than the combined body weight of at least 3 average size people thus you put the Max. at a large weight disadvantage when compared to a 330.

Which is it?

Nismofan,

There you go sticking your big a** head in a bucket of dung. if all being equal ( i mean the driver is the same) do you really think a 6 speed 2k2 max is faster than a 330 bmw? if you start doing some research and not stroking your ding dong. you be suprised that most statistics rate the 330 a little faster. i am not talking about killing or smoking or toasting. but just beating the max by .3-.5 secs. So Nismofan man, that is not just in my eyes but it is a FACT... check it out.

And if i were you ... you might upgrade your exhuast becuase you might get smoke by my 2k2 max... and home made cai... you like that...

MF
Mo
Old 08-31-2002, 01:01 AM

Nismofan,

There you go sticking your big a** head in a bucket of dung. if all being equal ( i mean the driver is the same) do you really think a 6 speed 2k2 max is faster than a 330 bmw? if you start doing some research and not stroking your ding dong. you be suprised that most statistics rate the 330 a little faster. i am not talking about killing or smoking or toasting. but just beating the max by .3-.5 secs. So Nismofan man, that is not just in my eyes but it is a FACT... check it out.

And if i were you ... you might upgrade your exhuast becuase you might get smoke by my 2k2 max... and home made cai... you like that...

MF
Old 08-31-2002, 03:04 AM

Nismofan,

MF
Show me an auto 14.3 timeslip from a 330ci. Show me a 99mph trap speed N/A with exhaust/intake. You like magazine racing... I got an idea. I'm car and driver, your road and track, now lets line these two bad boys up and compare...
Old 08-31-2002, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

I think the 330 is not a better car because it's too damn small, and it doesn't have enough room in it. Compare a 330 to a Sentra, and you may have a better car because they're roughly the same size. Do it this way: assign a point value for performance, room, and comfort. The 330 might have a point on the Max in the performance section, but the Max would get several more points for the other two categories, which makes it an overall better car, regardless of price.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

Show me an auto 14.3 timeslip from a 330ci. Show me a 99mph trap speed N/A with exhaust/intake. You like magazine racing... I got an idea. I'm car and driver, your road and track, now lets line these two bad boys up and compare...
Asian Boy,

first of all you have been eating to much wonton.... and rice... they dont mix well. you think that maxima.org sticker and your rear fast and furious spoiler give your car extra horse power!!!!

You said that a 2k2 max will toast a 330. i dont think so... it might beat it if it have some mods or the driver is better... but i said if all things were equal... no mods, same driver, ect. The gear ratio of the 330 is for low end torque and it will take off faster. hence the 0-60 is .3 faster than the max. that have been tested and it will be the same all the time..

Look at your post man you dont make sense and you must be eating the wonton when you post... first you say that 330 and 2k2 are the same 0-60 and then you say 2k2 will toast a 330... and now you say bmw suks.

dude give me a new 330 and throw in a stage 3 turbo, modify intake and exhuast and i will smoke any ricer out ther with nos and the stupid spoiler which they think will give them horsepower...
Old 08-31-2002, 08:36 AM

Here you go asain boy look at this while eating your wonton.....

maybe it will taste better.. but be careful dont choke on the wonton....

http://www.supercars.net/garages/marcusmv3/84v2.html

Dude i am not ******* my max... I love it.... but if all things were equal (money, power ect) i would take the 330 becuase of style, and performance and overall quality... check the interior out. you dont have to put crazy glue in your glove box. of my max so that you can glue things back....
Old 08-31-2002, 09:35 AM

Some people on this board need to get a clue. I have a 330i sport sitting in my garage and there is NO WAY IN HELL it will beat a well driven 2k2 6 Speed. Quit Mag racing and look at the numbers. As for the 330i being geared down low, that's a joke. If you knew german cars you would realize that they are geared for the highway. You would have a better chance racing a 330i @ 100 mph than 0.
Old 08-31-2002, 09:57 AM

I posted this back on 7/26:

Yes, the 2002 Maxima is very sweet.

I had a good kill yesterday.

A guy in a newer (01-02) BMW 330ci ragtop lines up next to me at a light. I am sitting at the stop bar, and his front bumper is at my driver mirrror. I decide not to race until I know he's gonna go. The light begins to change, he starts rolling, I hear that mpower start to roar. He gets out on me by about 5 feet, and looks back at me and smiles as he shifts to second. I smile back and do the 1-2 shift that this wonderful VQ can do. I burn the tires and fly by him, proceeding to bark third looking at him in my rearview. It was killer. The best part was the blank expressionless look on his face at the next light.

Yet another sucker for a VQ race.

I love my car.

...and yes, he WAS trying.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:15 AM
Very sound, Mike

but if all things were equal (money, power ect) i would take the 330 becuase of style, and performance and overall quality...
First of all, stop with the racist remarks.

Secondly, the initial post was about which one would come up top in a straight line race, not about which is a better car. So don't go with the "if all things were equal" statements since that is just theorizing at this point - They are not equal in either price nor power.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:11 AM

Dude i am not ******* my max... I love it.... but if all things were equal (money, power ect) i would take the 330 becuase of style, and performance and overall quality... check the interior out. you dont have to put crazy glue in your glove box. of my max so that you can glue things back....
Keep with those remarks if it makes you the bigger man. More torque downlow? WTF... you think a 330 has more torque than a 2k2.... ok... right.. I dont want to waste my time.
Have a nice one
Old 08-31-2002, 11:24 AM

Whatever I thought you had in automotive knowledge .. you lost when you start throwin' slurs like that around -- if you can't get your point across w/ intelligence, don't make yourself look like more of an idiot w/ the asian remarks.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:17 PM

If I'm driving the Max I can beat any 330. If I'm driving the 330 I can beat any Max.

Ok, seriously, that was a joke but my point is I personally think it does depend on the driver. Now, there may be a statistical trend with one of the two cars being quicker if you take a large enough sample but since no one here (nor the car mags) ever take large enough samples, no one can really tell.
One driver would have to average at least 30 straight line launches (if you've taken stats in school, you'll know the sample "n" needs to be equal to at least 30 to start getting some decent averages) in both cars back to back to make sure the environment is the same and then you'd start getting a trend. That's the only way this debate could be settled. Otherwise, people can go on forever (as this thread seems to be doing) going back and forth as to who's quicker.
As for comparing apples to oranges, I agree the Max and the 330 are different cars (size, FWD/RWD, etc) but people still compare them anyway. And if someone gave me the option of choosing one or the other, I'd choose the 330, sell it and buy either the new 350Z or a Max with money left over for a Ninja or a CBR
Old 08-31-2002, 04:18 PM

Wow

I'm taking that racist remark personally because I'm Asian, also. But I'm NOT going to say anything else because I'M THE BIGGER MAN

I admire AznWontonBoy for his restrain response. Good job man!
Old 08-31-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
Wow

I'm taking that racist remark personally because I'm Asian, also. But I'm NOT going to say anything else because I'M THE BIGGER MAN

I admire AznWontonBoy for his restrain response. Good job man!
How is what he said a racist remark? I am not agreeing with him, but he wasnt using any derogatory remarks.

Quick Reply: My 2k2 6spd vs. BMW 330ci