5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Hesitation Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2K2 Hesitation Fix

I dropped my ride off overnight at the dealer to change the manny tranny fluid to MT-90 and try and correct...
- wind noise on at the B pillars
- hesitation under acceleration

My service rep (who has been telling pretty straight for 10 yrs)calls back to today that the fluid is in and the doors have been tightened which should help some but the designed causes some noise.

The big thing was that they did a diagnosis and got a code showing a misfire on # 2 cylinder. He said the hesitation was caused by a bad coil which is on order and I should have my ride back tomorrow afternoon. I'll keep you posted on whether any of these fixes really helped.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:13 PM

No Kidding?!

I'll be damned!

That's the FIRST dealer that's actually come-up with a diagnosis for that problem.

PLEASE let me know how it turns-out -- I've had this problem since the first day I drove off the lot.

G.R.
Old 09-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2K2 Hesitation Fix

Am I correct in assuming this threw a SES light or no? If not, this doesn't help everyone else out much. I know from my car that the temperature outside seems to affect throttle response the most and the quality of the gas. I normally get gas at Sunoco, but the one time I didn't, not only was my gas mileage the worst I've seen it in a while, but throttle response was pretty bad. I think the hesitation issue is really a multiple of issues. Its good that you got yours fixed though. Was it really bad? Mine is only annoying in hot weather with bad gas.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:31 PM

not to rain on the parade

But while he may have had a bad coil, it doesn't necessarily mean a fix for the hesitation that some experience. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:51 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

let us know what happens
Old 09-10-2002, 09:39 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

bad coils dont generally throw codes.

I've been on crappy coils for 3 years... finally, my new set will be in tomorrow. whooooo... hoooooo...
Old 09-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: 2K2 Hesitation Fix

Originally posted by ripper
....He said the hesitation was caused by a bad coil which is on order and I should have my ride back tomorrow afternoon.
Ripper, could you describe the exact nature of your hesitation (eg stomping on gas to WOT only, normal civilized acceleration, what gear, approximate time lag, etc.)?
Old 09-11-2002, 06:54 AM

The SES light came on about 2 weeks ago after I gassed up but I thought it had to do with the gas cap. It went out the next day. I don't really know if the SES was related to the bad coil.

Like most others, the hesitation is much worse when it is hotter outside. That makes sense because heat can lead to electrical power loss in non-direct ignition set ups (eg: cracked distributors or plug wires).

The hesitation is most noticeable under hard acceleration from a dead stop but it also sometimes happens under hard passing. From a dead stop, acceleration could lead to a BIG hickup. Sometimes it feels like the ideal is set too low.

I'm not saying the new coil will solve the problem. Even if it does, it may be only temporary because of the heat in the engine bay. I'll post the results after driving it (if she's ready today).

Later
Old 09-11-2002, 09:23 AM
swallac2

If this is it, I don't care where in this country you are, but I am coming to that dealer!!!

By the way, where are you?

When they tried to fix mine, it hadden't thrown a code. The first time in the tech felt it, the second time I got the standard "unable to duplicate." I drive the car differently now so that I don't notice it as much.

Old 09-11-2002, 12:41 PM

Hesitation on 2002 Maxima

When I took my 6 spd Maxima in for the hesitation problem, they saw rust on some of the coils and had them replaced. That didn't do anything to the hesitation problem. I seriously doubt that coil will fix the hesitation problem on your car. A cylinder misfire, I have a really hard time believing that.

From what I have read, this hesitation problem is common and well known, how come Nissan still doesn't have a fix yet ?
Old 09-12-2002, 06:40 AM

Well, I got the car back yesterday afternoon and she's improved in all three areas (manny shifts much smoother, slightly less wind noise and much smoother idle and acceleration.

My service rep (Rosenthal Nissan in Tysons Corner,VA) said that when they hook my ride up their computer before replacing the coil, it showed 32 misfire errors.

However, like someone suggested, I think the bad coil was only part of the acceleration problem. It seems like the hickup is still there but it is greatly diminished.

Later
Old 09-12-2002, 06:52 AM

Explain

I have been following all the threads on this topic, but I don't think I have the hesitation problem. Can some explain to me a step by step method of determing if I do. Like how do you make your car do it, do you come to a complete stop and then floor it. What does the hesitation feel like?

thanks
Old 09-12-2002, 08:22 AM

Re: Re: 2K2 Hesitation Fix

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver
Am I correct in assuming this threw a SES light or no? If not, this doesn't help everyone else out much. I know from my car that the temperature outside seems to affect throttle response the most and the quality of the gas. I normally get gas at Sunoco, but the one time I didn't, not only was my gas mileage the worst I've seen it in a while, but throttle response was pretty bad. I think the hesitation issue is really a multiple of issues. Its good that you got yours fixed though. Was it really bad? Mine is only annoying in hot weather with bad gas.
I agree with you totally, this what I found out abotu My 02. When I put 89 octane in it once it bucked quite a bit and it ws hot out, I ran it out and put 93 octane problem virtually gone. I think Nissan should have stuck to the old Cable instead of the Drive by wire stuff as well.