5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Changing Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002 | 08:56 AM

Changing Speakers

Hey guys,

I did a search about changin up all the speakers inside my car and didnt get the answers i was lookin for. so if someone can, please do so.

1. should i buy component set up 6 1.2 for fronts, and just woofers for the back doors.

2. should i buy coponents for front and back doors.

3. suggest something

this is a 2000 maxima with out the BOSE Sub.
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:00 AM

Re: Changing Speakers

Originally posted by nissanmaximas
Hey guys,

I did a search about changin up all the speakers inside my car and didnt get the answers i was lookin for. so if someone can, please do so.

1. should i buy component set up 6 1.2 for fronts, and just woofers for the back doors.

3. suggest something

I would go with components in the front and coax in the back. Front speakers are 6 and 3/4 and rears are 5 and 1/4
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:06 AM

Re: Re: Changing Speakers

Originally posted by Vadim

I would go with components in the front and coax in the back. Front speakers are 6 and 3/4 and rears are 5 and 1/4
Thanks alot. but isnt it 6 1/2 for the fronts???
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:09 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Components are not as easy as you would think to install. Plus they will most likely need an extrenal amp. You will need to run speaker wire out the door into the tweeter pilar if you plan to use the stock location. Plus you will have the nightmarish task of finding a home for the crossovers.

The easiest thing would be to just buy some tweeters and some separate door coaxials. that's what I did. Yes, it might be tweeter overkill, but you can control the treble with the HU.

That's the easiest and most cost-effective way to do it.
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:23 AM

Originally posted by asu174
Components are not as easy as you would think to install. Plus they will most likely need an extrenal amp. You will need to run speaker wire out the door into the tweeter pilar if you plan to use the stock location. Plus you will have the nightmarish task of finding a home for the crossovers.

The easiest thing would be to just buy some tweeters and some separate door coaxials. that's what I did. Yes, it might be tweeter overkill, but you can control the treble with the HU.

That's the easiest and most cost-effective way to do it.
i was thinkin, direct rerplacements for everything in the car... kinda like plug and play...? just buy better speaker in the size of what came with the car... should it be easy?
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:35 AM

i was thinkin, direct rerplacements for everything in the car... kinda like plug and play...? just buy better speaker in the size of what came with the car... should it be easy?
Yes. But I would be certain to buy 6 3/4" speaker- NOT 6 1/2. It is very easy. I bought a nice set of Pioneer 3 ways on Ebay for $49 shipped and a set of Audiobahn tweets for $19 locally. They sound great. the rear speakers are still stock.
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:42 AM

Yes. But I would be certain to buy 6 3/4" speaker- NOT 6 1/2. It is very easy. I bought a nice set of Pioneer 3 ways on Ebay for $49 shipped and a set of Audiobahn tweets for $19 locally. They sound great. the rear speakers are still stock.
Thanks Alot asu174,

can you just dip into why 6 3.4's and not 6 1.2's?
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:46 AM

Thanks Alot asu174,

can you just dip into why 6 3.4's and not 6 1.2's?
That's just the size that Nissan uses. If you buy a 6 1/2, you will have to saw through your current Bose speaker and use the mounting material from it.

For plug and play, get the 6 3/4. trust me. Although I haven't replaced the rears, so I wouldn't know about those.

Check out www.crutchfield.com to pick out your speakers. They have the largest selection of 6 3/4 speakers that I have ever seen.
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:50 AM

That's just the size that Nissan uses. If you buy a 6 1/2, you will have to saw through your current Bose speaker and use the mounting material from it.

For plug and play, get the 6 3/4. trust me. Although I haven't replaced the rears, so I wouldn't know about those.

Check out www.crutchfield.com to pick out your speakers. They have the largest selection of 6 3/4 speakers that I have ever seen.
Once again... Thanks Alot asu174.
Old 09-16-2002 | 09:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I did the exact swap like a year ago. 6 3/4 components in the front doors, 5 1/4 two-ways in the rear doors, and a 12" sub in the trunk. I run two amps (one 4-channel for the fronts and rears and a mono amp for the sub), but honestly you can run the fronts and rears off the head unit. You can even use the existing wiring, except you will have to cut off the factory plugs and attach new crimp connectors. You can also run your own wiring (thicker gauge), but it's kind of a pain.

For the best sound, add a 5-channel amp to power everything, or get two amps like in my setup. Another option is to use the HU to power the speakers, and a mono amp to power the sub. If you have any specific questions, PM me. I was a total novice when I installed my audio system, but I managed to get it working ok.
Old 09-16-2002 | 10:58 AM

You can get 6 3/4 if you want, but many manufacturers don't make 6 3/4. If you go with Focal or Boston or Fosgate, they only have 6.5, sometimes 6.0. Don't let speaker size restrict your speaker choices. Decide what you want in your system first. Then, if you can get 6 3/4, great. But if not, don't sweat it. You can cut your current mount to make an adapter or you can buy adapters.

As for components, they are a must for the front because your knees block the kick panel speakers. As for the rears, I guess it depends on how often you have people in the back and whether or not you care how much they enjoy your system. IMO, just do coax in the rear and save the cash.

Also keep in mind power. If you are going to swap the speakers first and then power them later, then buy appropriately rated speakers.
Old 09-16-2002 | 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
You can get 6 3/4 if you want, but many manufacturers don't make 6 3/4. If you go with Focal or Boston or Fosgate, they only have 6.5, sometimes 6.0. Don't let speaker size restrict your speaker choices. Decide what you want in your system first. Then, if you can get 6 3/4, great. But if not, don't sweat it. You can cut your current mount to make an adapter or you can buy adapters.

As for components, they are a must for the front because your knees block the kick panel speakers. As for the rears, I guess it depends on how often you have people in the back and whether or not you care how much they enjoy your system. IMO, just do coax in the rear and save the cash.

Also keep in mind power. If you are going to swap the speakers first and then power them later, then buy appropriately rated speakers.
I have Bostons Pros 6.5 and they come with adapter brackets, so no pain at all.
Old 09-16-2002 | 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Vadim

I have Bostons Pros 6.5 and they come with adapter brackets, so no pain at all.
Good choice
Old 09-16-2002 | 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT

ok i was thinkin mb quart or rockford fosgate... maybe alpine. but theres no sub in my setup. i just wanna replace the speakers that came with the car. i have a pioneer radio that is 50 x 4, so what wattage speakers should i be lookin for FRONT/REAR?
Old 09-16-2002 | 01:35 PM

ok i was thinkin mb quart or rockford fosgate... maybe alpine. but theres no sub in my setup. i just wanna replace the speakers that came with the car. i have a pioneer radio that is 50 x 4, so what wattage speakers should i be lookin for FRONT/REAR?
Your 50x4 Pioneer deck is actually about 25x4 RMS. Which means you should get some basic coaxials. I would not use components without an external amp.
Old 09-16-2002 | 01:42 PM

Re: Changing Speakers

Hey guys,

3. suggest something

i would defintly go with the components up front,
maybee even in the back, but if u wanna puttweeter in sa back dors your goina have to do some cutting, will end up wid good sound in the end, u can tell when u see a pic of richmond hill when u see one
Old 09-16-2002 | 02:27 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2K2

maybee even in the back, but if u wanna puttweeter in sa back dors your goina have to do some cutting, will end up wid good sound in the end, u can tell when u see a pic of richmond hill when u see one
Tweeters in the rear doors will ruin your imaging. Most sound quality cars don't even have rear speakers. You would be insane to waste your money on components for your rear doors.
Old 09-16-2002 | 03:42 PM

i got a sentra and i put the tweeters on da rear dash and it sounds excellent.
http://www.geocities.com/dahellwidu/sentra.html
Old 09-16-2002 | 03:46 PM

I love how you ignore the people who've actually done audio setup in their Maximas. Good luck, you're gonna need it .
Old 09-16-2002 | 05:09 PM

Speaking of the devil..

I used to have Earthquake 6.5 CS components in my doors but they were 3 years old from my old mazda..

Well i bought new components and they fit so FREAKIN perfect, even the screw holes match..

And i found the perfect spot for the crossovers (which are huge on the fosgates)..

I bought Rockford Fosgate Fanatic X 6" (Not 6.5")... Although they are slightly smaller they are much better fit)..

I mounted teh silk dome tweeters on the by the mirrors on the doors (the stock locations on my 2k2 are bad)..

To mount the cross overs, when you have the door panels off, tehre is a big location to put the cross over near the rear of the door in the middle.. Make sure you lock it down in there so when you shut your doors it wont thunk (like mine is doing right now)..

If you ahve any more questiosn let me know..

Here is my 2k2 audio system so far!

Pioneer P8250 Organic display deck
Nokia 91US Car kit interfaced fully to teh deck
1 farad cap
Groudn distribution (8 gauge)
Power distribution
Rockford FOsgate Fanatic X 6" componenets
2 x Infinity Perfect 12.1s
Hifonics INdustria Monoblock
Sony XM 4045 4 channel bridged down to 2 channels at 100wRMS per channel
Removed Stock BOSE HU
Removed Stock 6.5" door speakers
Removed rear BOSE Amp
Removed Rear BOSE SUB..

ED
Old 09-16-2002 | 05:30 PM

Well, if you are just gonna run em off the HU, then you don't have to worry about it. I concur with asu174, just get coax.
Old 09-16-2002 | 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Tanman

I love how you ignore the people who've actually done audio setup in their Maximas. Good luck, you're gonna need it .
im not ignoring, just want all options and resources before i make my decsions in something..
Old 09-16-2002 | 07:14 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2K2

haha whats up padnah! i dunno if i wanna go that deep. plan to sell car in future.