5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5 speed max- shifter not resetting to the middle

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 09:21 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

5 speed max- shifter not resetting to the middle

While I was under my car today, I must have hit the shifter or something because now, when the car is in neutral and I move it to the right (below 5th, above R- but still in neutral), IT STICKS THERE! I looked at the spring and everything seems to be in order down there.

What makes the shifter reset from the right? The spring on the STS resets it from the left. But I can't seem to find what goes from the right back to the middle. Anyone, anyone?
Old 09-19-2002, 09:24 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: 5 speed max- shifter not resetting to the middle

Originally posted by asu174
While I was under my car today, I must have hit the shifter or something because now, when the car is in neutral and I move it to the right (below 5th, above R- but still in neutral), IT STICKS THERE! I looked at the spring and everything seems to be in order down there.

What makes the shifter reset from the right? The spring on the STS resets it from the left. But I can't seem to find what goes from the right back to the middle. Anyone, anyone?
Andy,

It's the STS. Mine does this also.

The lower you set it, the worse it is. You get used to it though.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:28 PM

Really? Maybe it was like that before then too and I just didn't notice. Huh...okay, I don't feel so dumb anymore. Although that kinda sucks.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:30 PM

Really? Maybe it was like that before then too and I just didn't notice. Huh...okay, I don't feel so dumb anymore. Although that kinda sucks.
I agree. How low did you adjust it?

I've debated going back in there and raising it up a little, but that's a lot of work. I'd rather replace it with a $tealin, since supposedly, the $tealin unit doesn't do this, but I don't know for sure.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

I agree. How low did you adjust it?

I've debated going back in there and raising it up a little, but that's a lot of work. I'd rather replace it with a $tealin, since supposedly, the $tealin unit doesn't do this, but I don't know for sure.
It's all the way down (ball at the top).

Well, if that's the way it's supposed to be, I could care less. But I thought I broke something down there because I hit that bar really hard with my head and my knee.

I'm not having a good day.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 5 speed max- shifter not resetting to the middle

i think you need to stretch the spring just little bit..that might help.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You must be using the pacesetter.

I had this problem and it was caused by the ball being too big for the assembly thereby making the shifter not move freely. I had to shave the ball down - and once I did mine moved freely.

If you are certain you installed the shifter properly, I would disconnect the spring and see if the shifter moves freely and easily. If it does, then you may need to adjust the spring. If it doesn't move freely from the right back to center, about the only thing you can do is shave the ball down.

Although many people have this problem - it is not SUPPOSED to be that way.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:31 AM

By the way, I think it is actually the way the shifter linkage hooks to the tranny that causes it to snap back from the right - not the spring.

If you look under the car, and grab the linkage that hooks to the tranny, you can rotate that linkage clockwise - this is the equivalent of moving the shifter in the car to the right side (near 5th). Once you rotate the linkage clockwise, you can then push it forward (that'll be R) or pull it backwards (that'll be 5th). When that gear is disengaged, the linkage should rotate by itself back to the center position - which is the equivalent of your shifter in the car snapping from the right to the center.

Mine was not snapping back from the right because the ball was preventing the shifter from moving freely.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:42 AM

Max_Gator

Originally posted by Max_Gator
By the way, I think it is actually the way the shifter linkage hooks to the tranny that causes it to snap back from the right - not the spring.

If you look under the car, and grab the linkage that hooks to the tranny, you can rotate that linkage clockwise - this is the equivalent of moving the shifter in the car to the right side (near 5th). Once you rotate the linkage clockwise, you can then push it forward (that'll be R) or pull it backwards (that'll be 5th). When that gear is disengaged, the linkage should rotate by itself back to the center position - which is the equivalent of your shifter in the car snapping from the right to the center.

Mine was not snapping back from the right because the ball was preventing the shifter from moving freely.
Thanks. I have the SMC, but it's the same unit as the Pacesetter.

Next time I'm in there I'll definitely "shave" the ball down.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:58 AM

Re: Max_Gator

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Thanks. I have the SMC, but it's the same unit as the Pacesetter.

Next time I'm in there I'll definitely "shave" the ball down.
How the hell would one go about shaving that thing down? Dremmel? What if it comes out uneven? Will it matter?
Old 09-20-2002, 09:23 AM
Sly

Re: Re: Max_Gator

How the hell would one go about shaving that thing down? Dremmel? What if it comes out uneven? Will it matter?
When I installed my SMC STS it was very stiff with the supplied ball guides. I didn't want to shave the ball so I took it apart and re-used the factory ball guides. It was still alittle stiff but loosened up in a few weeks.

As for the centering springs, you need to stretch it out a little (the one at the shifter). The other spring is inside the transmission. The lower you have the shifter set, the more strectching you have to do.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:34 AM

Re: Re: Max_Gator

Exactly - Dremel. You can get it pretty even and I'll tell you this, it is FAR better than having a shifter that sticks like that.

Some have said that theirs loosened up - mine never did.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Max_Gator

Originally posted by Sly

When I installed my SMC STS it was very stiff with the supplied ball guides. I didn't want to shave the ball so I took it apart and re-used the factory ball guides. It was still alittle stiff but loosened up in a few weeks.

As for the centering springs, you need to stretch it out a little (the one at the shifter). The other spring is inside the transmission. The lower you have the shifter set, the more strectching you have to do.
Now that's interesting - my pacesetter didn't come with any parts - I had to reuse all of the factory parts.