5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Phantom Grip

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 02:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Phantom Grip

I know this has been discussed before and as far as I remember no one on the forum has done this mod. I want to get LSD, but if i buy HLSD or Quafe my wife will divorce me
Phantom Grip sound good on the paper and is cheap ($299). I emailed Sport Compact Car magazine asking if they used it in any of their project cars.
Here is the answer from Dave Coleman their technical editor.

>>Used it in project Neon and 200SX 1.6 (coming next month, I >believe). Both worked well, according to those who drove them, but I >didn't drive them myself.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:13 PM
Very sound, Mike

IIRC it has been discussed before and the conclusion was that the Phantom grip wasn't as reliable as one would hope.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:38 PM

Phantom grip is a cheap copy:
http://www.opmmotorsports.com/info/faq_lsd.html

Did a search. Lots of hearsay and of course, no real facts supporting negative claims.
Also, I read the SCC articles(project 1.6)-they seem happy with it. Will need to wait for long term updates from SCC.
Seems to be a cheap alternative for vehicles that do NOT have a 'real' differential option.
Installation seems to be a pain. Transmission removal/disassembly/differential removal/diff disassembly/installation and full reassembly. For that kind of $labor$, best get a real diff if available.

Most applications are for lower powered cars. Visit the PG diff applications page. Most listing are for wimpy 4 cylinder cars. One distributor does not recommend it for applications over 375hp. I guess it has power/wear limits.

Seems like your only option is divorce or buying lots of jewelry at the same time
Old 10-04-2002, 10:23 PM

Re: Phantom Grip

Email me if you'd be interested in an LSD I'm prototyping. I've been working with a local shop for quite some time now. I've got one in my '97 Auto, but I'm working on the 4th gen 5 spd., 5th gen auto's and 5 spds, and the '02+. For each application, I just need one person to commit to it for prototype purposes. Retail price on the diffs are $1200, but for the person who is willing to test it out for each gen. I'm offering if for $700. Yes, that price is double the Phantom Grip, but this is an actual differential, not 2 metal blocks and some springs. OPM was the original shop I was going through for these differentials, but after keeping my original core for 5 months, I had to get someone else. The differential I'm having made now is similar to the OPM, main difference is that it's 50/50 split instead of the OPM's 70/30. and there is the lifetime warranty as opposed to the 1 yr. of OPM's.

I've had mine on the car for almost 5K and it makes an insane difference. And my car is boosted too. The differentials have a lifetime warranty, and we've put them on 600+ hp Z's and they've held up. Email me at apsignworks@bellsouth.net if you're interested.

Originally posted by NikaL
I know this has been discussed before and as far as I remember no one on the forum has done this mod. I want to get LSD, but if i buy HLSD or Quafe my wife will divorce me
Phantom Grip sound good on the paper and is cheap ($299). I emailed Sport Compact Car magazine asking if they used it in any of their project cars.
Here is the answer from Dave Coleman their technical editor.

>>Used it in project Neon and 200SX 1.6 (coming next month, I >believe). Both worked well, according to those who drove them, but I >didn't drive them myself.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:27 AM
Maxima06071

Is there an echo in here? Blah blahPeople seemed to think it was crap the first time...I don't thnik their opinions have changed.
Shadow: Sounds sweet man. I can't wait to buy off my car and start modding it.