5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question for 2k2's w/ 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 07:15 AM

Question for 2k2's w/ 6spd

Ok, I've seen the posts on the Tranverse Link Recall TSB, and my dealer "told" me that mine wasn't in the affected VIN category. However, I'm beginning to suspect something, as the list on the board DOES indicate that my VIN is in the affected group.

However, now after four months of ownership, I have come to realize that I have had that "uneasy" and uncontrollable steering issue since day one. No nasty clunking sounds however.
It seems like it's just squirrly when on the highway, but damned if I can't drive it in a straight line at speed. (like a bad align).
I noticed that the problem got better since I installed my FSTB, but now I'm just concerned.

does this sound like the TL problem to anyone, or am I crazy??

HERE's THE QUESTION FOR YOU 6SPD OWNERS:

Everytime I back out of a parking spot, shift into first and disengage the clutch I hear the sound of a SPRING TWANGING (literally) and a sort of popping sound as the tranmission engages, and the vehicle moves forward.

IS THIS NORMAL??? ANYBODY NOTICE THIS SOUND??
It definitely eminates from the LEFT side of the engine bay near the drive axle. I KNOW the clutch is HYDRAULIC so it shouldn't have the usual "mechanical" style mechanism to engage/disengage, right?

I'm thinking it's (obviously) coming from the drivetrain, but I don't know if it's normal or not??

I'd appreciate any feedback from my fellow Manual Tranny's out there.

Thanks,
G.R.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:23 AM

Re: Question for 2k2's w/ 6spd

I am not sure what problem you having, but I do get some knocking sound that is comming mosting from passenger side when I hit bumps at small speeds.

Also I get the knocking in the steering wheel any sort of bump I hit and various speeds. It feels like steering is loose for a second, like something is loose there.

I had the Traverse Link recall done and I have not noticed any changes. All the things I mentioned above I still present. I think they became even worse after the recall.

But I do not have any steering issues that has to do with actually steering the car. It tracks straight and everything else is fine.

I am gona try to get that knocking sound fixed. It is driving me crazy.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Question for 2k2's w/ 6spd

Originally posted by ghostrider17
[BI KNOW the clutch is HYDRAULIC so it shouldn't have the usual "mechanical" style mechanism to engage/disengage, right?
[/B]
While the clutch is hydraulic, the mechanism that actually disengages the clutch is no different than a car w/o a hydraulic clutch. I sometimes get a sound when after backing out of a spot and then putting it into first I hear a sort of twang. It doesn't happen all of the time and I believe it comes from the transmission. I don't think it is anything to worry about. Some hear have mentioned a dying squirrel sound, if you have that, then I believe the culprit is the release bearing and the dealer should replace it for you. As for Tranverse Link recall, check out nissan's site and if your VIN is listed, make the dealer do the work, if not, then your car is not affected. Maybe you just need an alighnment?
Old 09-30-2002, 08:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have not a twang, but a clunk wheni engage first gear..

As for the dying squirrel, i have that too, adn i test drove a 2k3 and yes it has the same stupid cheap *** sounds..

I know there is a TSB for this but in stupid a$$ CANADA (WHY IS IT EVEN A COUNTRY FOR GODS SAKE)... THey say US TSB's do not apply to Canadian models..

SCREW CANADA..

ED
Old 09-30-2002, 10:30 AM
KTM

Does the "twang" only happen the first time you pull forward after starting up? If so, that is the ABS test, and is normal.
If it happens every time you are engaging the clutch into or out of first, then that could be a problem.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by MiniRX7
I have not a twang, but a clunk wheni engage first gear..

As for the dying squirrel, i have that too, adn i test drove a 2k3 and yes it has the same stupid cheap *** sounds..

I know there is a TSB for this but in stupid a$$ CANADA (WHY IS IT EVEN A COUNTRY FOR GODS SAKE)... THey say US TSB's do not apply to Canadian models..

SCREW CANADA..

ED
We should just annex Canada as a few new states. We'll make a big show of it though, to impress the rest of the world. We'll do a whole "war" where we invade and the Canadians retreat into the frozen north and try to starve us in the wild... but eventually we hunt them down and force them to join the union. How many provinces are in Canada? 14? Imagine, trying to fit 14 new stars on the flag!
Old 09-30-2002, 06:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

LOL... I would love to just have Canada join the US!!

That way i can get my car serviced and the TSB's done!!
Old 09-30-2002, 10:59 PM

Ghostrider17, did you notice the problem after installing the FSTB? There are some fitment issues with them hitting the intake manifold.

You might want to check out these threads:
http://forums.max-world.org/index.ph...f=21&t=116&hl=

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=155332
Old 10-01-2002, 12:22 AM

You guys must be realy paranoid about your cars. I'm a newb at semi-luxury and I can't really complain much about my car. I give it the love needed then beat the $hit out of it!!!!!

Maybe you just want to much from todays vehicles. I'm all for fixing what should be right from the factory, but don't go knocking every noise you hear out of your car. Man made device are imperfect and will continue to be. Don't let the little things take you over.............................................. ...................

My rants done. Maybe not.... Yes I have my own problems with the MAXIMA; but from my previous vehicles I am more than happy. I switched from two GM (american BS) pos cars to the maxima and have no reason to complain. I've had my first car blown up 8 MF times on the highway due to really poor engineering. My second one cost me over 1,200 a year to maintain. These were not sports cars, but point A to point B cars. Maybe go rent a Ford or Chevy and see how much you love yor MAXIMA after that drive. Life changes once you have hit low end(for my experiences american but I'm not saying ALL american is like that.).

I'm done, I'm out; love what you bought to love!
Old 10-01-2002, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by MiniRX7
LOL... I would love to just have Canada join the US!!

That way i can get my car serviced and the TSB's done!!
Let's get started on a new organization. MOUNA, Maxima Owners for the Unification of North America! All TSBs are created equal.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:01 AM

Answer:

You said backing out of a parking lot right? If it's a "twang" you talking about it happens any time the parking brake is dis-engaged. Try this: come to a complete stop, put on the parking brake, disengage the parking break, then move forward very slowly about 20 feet. You should here the "twang" right around then. The noise it part of "The parking brake release mechanism" according to Nissan.

AuxNuke
Old 10-01-2002, 08:17 AM
RKS

Twang sound

I know exactly what you are talking about.
After I back the car out of the garage, shift to neutral, and shift to 1st and then dis-engage the clutch I get a spring-like twang.
This noise only seems to arise while the car is cold.
I took it to the dealer but you know how that goes.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by LaXor
You guys must be realy paranoid about your cars. I'm a newb at semi-luxury and I can't really complain much about my car. I give it the love needed then beat the $hit out of it!!!!!

Maybe you just want to much from todays vehicles. I'm all for fixing what should be right from the factory, but don't go knocking every noise you hear out of your car. Man made device are imperfect and will continue to be. Don't let the little things take you over.............................................. ...................

that's right, appreciate what you have, the max is a nice vehicle compare to higher priced sedans.........while mostly out-accellerating them as well......i mod and i drive fast, but not every single time i get in the car, it's just when there's a chance encounter with another vehicle, at a light or freeway, then it's time to put the mods and vq engine to work.....i have a 2k with that fuel cut sympton, you know, bucking and jerking in first gear, etc....but i look at it this way, you get instant throttle repsonse! balance the clutch and gas correctly, no bucking and jerking whatsoever....oh, if you really wanna complain, sit in the back seat of a 40,000 sports car.....my .02
Old 10-01-2002, 12:51 PM

Ghostrider - I know exactly what sound you are talking about. I thought I was crazy sometimes. I only get it after starting the car ans driving away. I only hear it when there is no sound in the car, and I here this spinn-off sound like a pring let loose on something. I think it is the spring on the flywheel that is releasing after a resting state. I am not sure, but I am glad someone else know what I am hearing as well.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:24 PM
I miss the .org!

I haven't noticed any differences from before or after I had the Transverse Link recall performed either... Honestly, the Max just doesn't feel all that stable at high speeds, but I think that's just the way the car is designed though.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:49 PM

Same problem

I too am having the same sound. I usually hear mine when I first start up my max for the day and drive off. This is the only time I've heard it so far. It is hard for me to say if it is something that is wrong or part of the car. It sounds like on your max that it only happens when you reverse and then go forward. I will go and try it and listen a little closer when I do what you do. If you find anything out from your dealer, let me know. Thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 04:51 AM

Re: Same problem

Originally posted by 2002MaximaSE
I too am having the same sound. I usually hear mine when I first start up my max for the day and drive off. This is the only time I've heard it so far. It is hard for me to say if it is something that is wrong or part of the car. It sounds like on your max that it only happens when you reverse and then go forward. I will go and try it and listen a little closer when I do what you do. If you find anything out from your dealer, let me know. Thanks
Yeah, mine only does it when I start for the first time, or after work or the gym. The car has to be sitting for a while to do it again. It is usually when I start off real slow too.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:58 PM

Mystery TWANG Identified...!

Thanks to those who responded.

Good to know I'm not the only one who's heard the mystery TWANG when engaging first gear from a stop.

I'll inquire at my next (first) dealer visit and let you all know.

G.R.