5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002 | 09:16 AM

Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

I don't post much - more like a "lurker", but some things have been building up oh what happens when I drive my max that just irriate me to no end. And I have to rant!

1. My max is a manual and I have been driving stick since I got my license (14 years), so I know how to drive it. But why do people insist on stoping right on your butt when you are at a red light or stop sign. I mean so close their front end disappears and you are like WTF. I hate that. I also hate when other drivers try to tell you how to drive, example is the street has a red light - and you are trying to be nice and not block drive ways, or side streets, and the person behind you is honking their horn at you to move up - effectively blocking a busy side street so that they can get 5 feet closer to a red light.

2. I live in a pretty nice development with kids - and I know kids got to play, but they have no respect. One street they have set up a half pipe on the street - and they are constantly on it. They are rude, they don't move and they continue to screw around on the half pipe when you drive by. (the worst thing is there is a clu da sac(??) right there - why cant they set up the half pipe there.

3. Another issue is: further down the street they have a basket ball court set up on the street, again they refuse to move - but when the do move, it just enough for your car to get by and they still insist on throwing the ball over the cars. ( i am waiting for the day they hit my car)

If these kids were my kids - I would beat their butts for showing no respect to any cars, especially since if they screw around and I accidently hit them I am at fault.

Sorry this is so long - just had to get it off my chest.
Old 09-30-2002 | 09:19 AM
jjs

Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Originally posted by RinRobyn
I don't post much - more like a "lurker", but some things have been building up oh what happens when I drive my max that just irriate me to no end. And I have to rant!

1. My max is a manual and I have been driving stick since I got my license (14 years), so I know how to drive it. But why do people insist on stoping right on your butt when you are at a red light or stop sign. I mean so close their front end disappears and you are like WTF. I hate that. I also hate when other drivers try to tell you how to drive, example is the street has a red light - and you are trying to be nice and not block drive ways, or side streets, and the person behind you is honking their horn at you to move up - effectively blocking a busy side street so that they can get 5 feet closer to a red light.

2. I live in a pretty nice development with kids - and I know kids got to play, but they have no respect. One street they have set up a half pipe on the street - and they are constantly on it. They are rude, they don't move and they continue to screw around on the half pipe when you drive by. (the worst thing is there is a clu da sac(??) right there - why cant they set up the half pipe there.

3. Another issue is: further down the street they have a basket ball court set up on the street, again they refuse to move - but when the do move, it just enough for your car to get by and they still insist on throwing the ball over the cars. ( i am waiting for the day they hit my car)

If these kids were my kids - I would beat their butts for showing no respect to any cars, especially since if they screw around and I accidently hit them I am at fault.

Sorry this is so long - just had to get it off my chest.
First off, there is NO such thing as a nice development with kids...that is an oxymoron...a truly nice development is one where there are NO kids.

Second, what the heck is a 'half-pipe'?
Old 09-30-2002 | 09:23 AM

Re: Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Originally posted by jjs

First off, there is NO such thing as a nice development with kids...that is an oxymoron...a truly nice development is one where there are NO kids.

Hope I used the correct term. I believe it is called a half pipe. I know it is what all the extreme sports use ( skate board, bikes) to do their tricks on. Think of a quarter of a circle. It is built out of wood and they ride their bikes up it and do flips and stuff.
Old 09-30-2002 | 09:25 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Hope I used the correct term. I believe it is called a half pipe. I know it is what all the extreme sports use ( skate board, bikes) to do their tricks on. Think of a quarter of a circle. It is built out of wood and they ride their bikes up it and do flips and stuff.
Ah! In the street? With a basketball setup in the street as well?

Don't you have local police or homeowners association that can come down on the parents of these kids?
Old 09-30-2002 | 09:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Originally posted by jjs

Ah! In the street? With a basketball setup in the street as well?

Don't you have local police or homeowners association that can come down on the parents of these kids?

Yep - basketball is set up also in the streets. Parents are just as guilty - since I saw them helping the kids build the darn thing.

I told the boyfriend that I was thinking of calling the police, since we dont have a assocation, but annoymous (?) since I don't want them screwing with my car or the boyfriends.
Old 09-30-2002 | 09:45 AM

Re: Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Originally posted by jjs

I think he means quarter-pipe; it's just what it sounds like.

RinRobyn, I understand how you feel, but to answer your 2nd concern, you have to understand that respect is a mutual thing. I spent the majority of my HS years on the street skating and playing hockey. I, too, lived in a "nice" neighborhood. You need to get in good with these kids and they'll listen to you. When I used to skate on the street, my friends and I didn't run onto the sidewalk everytime a car drove past. The worst thing that you can do is drive by so slow that it hinders their fun. Then they'll just get mad at you and skate/play ball while you're passing by. Like I said, get on their good side; they're just having fun.
Old 09-30-2002 | 09:57 AM
jjs

Originally posted by T-bone

I think he means quarter-pipe; it's just what it sounds like.

RinRobyn, I understand how you feel, but to answer your 2nd concern, you have to understand that respect is a mutual thing. I spent the majority of my HS years on the street skating and playing hockey. I, too, lived in a "nice" neighborhood. You need to get in good with these kids and they'll listen to you. When I used to skate on the street, my friends and I didn't run onto the sidewalk everytime a car drove past. The worst thing that you can do is drive by so slow that it hinders their fun. Then they'll just get mad at you and skate/play ball while you're passing by. Like I said, get on their good side; they're just having fun.
Who gives a crap about respecting kids who OBVIOUSLY don't do it themselves. Streets are for cars/trucks/motorcycles! Period. Those with bike paths then have bike traffic. I bet this development has a park of some sort, but it is either 'too far away' for the lazy kids to go to, or by common sense of the neighborhood, their activies are not allowed there.

DO NOT make HER feel like she is unfeeling and has to please these kids. They need to get their a$$es off the street when someone comes through, and most definitiely get their crap out of it as well!!

Considering her concern about having the car messed with, it is evident that these 'kids' have not been idyllic little angels.

When the kids or their parents start paying part of her mortgage to reimburse for inconvenience, etc. or pay part of her taxes to cover the 'extra' use of the street, so be it.

Until then, I think the boys in blue are a very viable option.
Old 09-30-2002 | 11:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Originally posted by jjs

Who gives a crap about respecting kids who OBVIOUSLY don't do it themselves. Streets are for cars/trucks/motorcycles! Period. Those with bike paths then have bike traffic. I bet this development has a park of some sort, but it is either 'too far away' for the lazy kids to go to, or by common sense of the neighborhood, their activies are not allowed there.

DO NOT make HER feel like she is unfeeling and has to please these kids. They need to get their a$$es off the street when someone comes through, and most definitiely get their crap out of it as well!!

Considering her concern about having the car messed with, it is evident that these 'kids' have not been idyllic little angels.

When the kids or their parents start paying part of her mortgage to reimburse for inconvenience, etc. or pay part of her taxes to cover the 'extra' use of the street, so be it.

Until then, I think the boys in blue are a very viable option.

Ok, after reading your profile, your statement make a little more sense (y.o.b. 1964). I don't know if you ever played in the street when you were younger, but there are a lot of fun activities to do in the street. I'm not saying go play Monopoly on your local highway. I'm just saying it's fun to play ball/skate/bike in the street of neighborhoods. And why do you say that the kids "OBVIOUSLY" don't respect themselves. What is your base for this statement? You also call the kids "lazy" and say that it would be common sense of the neighborhood not to allow them to have their "activities" at the park.
I never said that she "HAS" to please the kids. I only suggested it. I agree that the kids should move their "a$$es" and "crap" off the street when someone comes through. I was only offering a suggestion of bonding with these kids that you picture as little hellians becuase I used to be one of those kids. If they like her, then they may move out of the way quicker (ie "Hold up guys, Ms. Robyn is coming through).

And your statement about the kids paying for her morgage or paying extra taxes, well, that's just rediculous

Old 09-30-2002 | 12:04 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Originally posted by T-bone

Ok, after reading your profile, your statement make a little more sense (y.o.b. 1964). I don't know if you ever played in the street when you were younger, but there are a lot of fun activities to do in the street. I'm not saying go play Monopoly on your local highway. I'm just saying it's fun to play ball/skate/bike in the street of neighborhoods. And why do you say that the kids "OBVIOUSLY" don't respect themselves. What is your base for this statement? You also call the kids "lazy" and say that it would be common sense of the neighborhood not to allow them to have their "activities" at the park.
I never said that she "HAS" to please the kids. I only suggested it. I agree that the kids should move their "a$$es" and "crap" off the street when someone comes through. I was only offering a suggestion of bonding with these kids that you picture as little hellians becuase I used to be one of those kids. If they like her, then they may move out of the way quicker (ie "Hold up guys, Ms. Robyn is coming through).

And your statement about the kids paying for her morgage or paying extra taxes, well, that's just rediculous

Since you don't even list yours, what difference does age make? In my day and age, yes we played in the streets, at parks, in backyards, etc....thing is, 'back then' we had the common sense to know what the streets were for and to get out of the way...right away!! Not stroll off sloooooowwwwly as if we owned the road as you see so often today.

As for not having a bsis for comment, REREAD HER POST!!! "rude" and "don't move" constitute "obviously..." perfectly well for me.

Listen, bud, the woman is paying taxes and mortgages for a property she obviously is having difficulty enjoying. Ridiculous? Only to you...it may not happen anytime in this world, but it doesn't mean it is not the way it SHOULD be.
Old 09-30-2002 | 12:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

Originally posted by jjs

Since you don't even list yours, what difference does age make? In my day and age, yes we played in the streets, at parks, in backyards, etc....thing is, 'back then' we had the common sense to know what the streets were for and to get out of the way...right away!! Not stroll off sloooooowwwwly as if we owned the road as you see so often today.

As for not having a bsis for comment, REREAD HER POST!!! "rude" and "don't move" constitute "obviously..." perfectly well for me.

Listen, bud, the woman is paying taxes and mortgages for a property she obviously is having difficulty enjoying. Ridiculous? Only to you...it may not happen anytime in this world, but it doesn't mean it is not the way it SHOULD be.

'Bud' here. I'm 23. I'm just a wipper-snapper, but back in my day, we too had the common sense to move out of the way. I've never met these kids. Maybe they are rude, but calling the police is just going to make them hate her. Here's a bad example of tax dollars and street activities: my friend used to live in a cul-de-sac and the mom of one of the kids that played up-street of the cul-de-sac had the city put in stop signs, basically, so her kids could play safely in the street. I had to crawl through a line of stop signs to get to the cul-de-sac.

I think that Robyn should be able to enjoy her home; there's nothing rediculous about that.

Good luck Robyn
Old 09-30-2002 | 12:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

run ur maxima over that halfpipe it will not do no flips...but it will teach them a good lesson that skate park will be a better place for extreme sports.
Old 09-30-2002 | 12:51 PM

Reminds me of the first word any truly Canadian kid learns on the street...

"CAR!!!!"

You hear this time honoured call countless times from kids playing street hockey on our roads up here (even the few ones that are paved). Once called, play will stop, the kids will part to the sides, and the nets will be dutifully carried off the road until the all clear is called. It's almost a right of passage and I have no problems with it. The kids are courteous and I see no reason to complain. I have nothing against sharing the road with them. That said, if they started ignoring cars and mouth'n off and such then things would definitely be a lot different.
Old 09-30-2002 | 05:57 PM

Re: Things I hate when I drive my Max - rant

I also hate when other drivers try to tell you how to drive, example is the street has a red light - and you are trying to be nice and not block drive ways, or side streets, and the person behind you is honking their horn at you to move up - effectively blocking a busy side street so that they can get 5 feet closer to a red light.
[/B]
yes, i hate it too, but people in calgary are so nice, people from vancouver even say so....they don't honk....they only honk when i do the opposite and block their driveway......how much better is it going to get if they are 5 feet from the RED stop light....