5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 ECU reset theory (not the question, but insight)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 07:32 PM

2k2 ECU reset theory (not the question, but insight)

A little insight to the "non-resetable" (if that's even a word) 2k2 ECU.

One day I was messing around with the stock intake system. I removed the hose from the resonator box, put electrical tape over the hole (I knew this wasn't going to be permanent..I was experimenting) and placed a breather on the PCV outlet on the valve cover. I fired up the car, gave it some revs, everything seemed ok. I went in to get ready for work (right before work, what a great time to do mods..because you know something will go wrong and make you late!).

I left the house and all seemed well. I had the A/C on (it was 90 out) and I was not really beating on it. I decided to step on it. My car bogged after 3500 rpm, not a good change. A couple more pulls verified that it wasn't a one minute thing. I pulled over, removed the breather and tape and put the hose back on. It still wasn't right. I thought for sure I was in for a dealer trip.

Well, I got to work and removed the negative battery cable. Went in and worked for 2 hours. Came back out, reconnected the cable and BAM!, back to normal. Took her out and beat on her, ran like a champ every time.

Thoughts???
Old 09-30-2002, 08:09 PM

hey dave! what's up??

I kind of had a code reset the same way.

I had my intake apart on my 2k2 so the beginning of my intake would have been the screen on the MAF. I wanted to look at the set-up and I wanted to hear what it sounded like so I started it and one of my friends puts his hand over the screen and I was like "don't touch.." it was too late. he covered the screen with his hand and the car died. I was like you f..ing idiot!! what the hell did you touch it for. it is so fragile a piece on the car. i went to start the car again and it started but the check engine light was on. Also. it did the zaaa-zaaa-zaaaa noise when you tried flooring it. So, I put my intake all back together and restarted it. the light was still on. and it sounded like i was hitting the rev-limiter still but at 3000rpms. so, I left the battery disconnected all night long. the next day I started it and the light was still on. I drove it and the check engine light went away within a couple blocks. i decided to floor it and everything was back to normal. i thought i was going to have a trip to the dealer for the MAF failure.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:12 PM

I was at byron yesterday and a black 2k2 max se was doing test and tune. I thought maybe it was you so I went over but it wasn't. it was an older guy..his first time at the track. he was only running 15.20's to 15.40's with his stock auto and about 9k miles. I gave him some tips to break into 14's but he was too cocky to take my advice and said he knew all that he just wanted to see what the car ran. I didn't see him run anymore so I am not sure if he just left?? or what??