5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

question about high speed handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 12:25 PM

question about high speed handling

hi guys,

i just purchased my 2000 gle a couple of weeks ago and it rides great, the only thing i have noticed is that at high speeds between
65-85 the car feels a little to loose or uncontrolable, especially when i change lanes. It is kind of scary sometimes....

is this normal?

if not how can i fix it?

i have stock 16 in rims and the tires are almost bald, could that be it?

do i need 17in rims?

any advice would be appreciated!

thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: question about high speed handling

Originally posted by cyberg21
hi guys,

i just purchased my 2000 gle a couple of weeks ago and it rides great, the only thing i have noticed is that at high speeds between
65-85 the car feels a little to loose or uncontrolable, especially when i change lanes. It is kind of scary sometimes....

is this normal?

if not how can i fix it?

do i need 17in rims?

thanks

You should get a front strut tower brace, that'll help the car at high speeds
Old 10-02-2002, 04:04 PM

Re: question about high speed handling

Originally posted by cyberg21
hi guys,

is this normal?

if not how can i fix it?

do i need 17in rims?

thanks
I have exact same model/year/wheels except I have Toyo T1s tires and FSTB. Car handles fine from my point of view. The reason I got rid of stock tires was that after 16k miles they started to squeal in corners (at low speed). I don't have RSB and car has big body roll in quick lane changes on hwy. Otherwise it sticks to the road.

Mike.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:15 PM

Might want to check struts. If they are original, then they probably should be changed. Also, the FSTB and RSB will help. If you are interested in a firmer ride you could aftermarket springs. This would give you more controlled ride. If springs and struts are done at same time, it saves some labor. Search will give info on struts and springs. Have fun.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:04 PM

Definitely FSTB and RSB. You will be happy with your high speed handling.

JS
Old 10-04-2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by vizslak7
Definitely FSTB and RSB. You will be happy with your high speed handling.

JS
Front strut bar and rear sway bar will NOT help you when you are driving at high speeds. They will only help you when you are taking a corner at high speed. If you change your struts and springs you will notice a drastic difference in your ride at high speeds. You will feel like you have more controll. The only downfall is when your car's ride will be more firm and you will feel pot holes a bit more. I would suggest you get adjustable struts. That way you can find the level of stiffness you are the most comfortable with.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by roastduck88

Front strut bar and rear sway bar will NOT help you when you are driving at high speeds. They will only help you when you are taking a corner at high speed. If you change your struts and springs you will notice a drastic difference in your ride at high speeds. You will feel like you have more controll. The only downfall is when your car's ride will be more firm and you will feel pot holes a bit more. I would suggest you get adjustable struts. That way you can find the level of stiffness you are the most comfortable with.
I don't agree with that. My car, with just a FSTB feels a lot more stable at high speeds during simple things such as lane changes, versus my dad's I35 without it.

John
Old 10-04-2002, 05:27 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The culprit would be the soft GLE suspension. Change the springs and struts.

DW

Originally posted by roastduck88

Old 10-04-2002, 05:53 PM

ive got a gxe with fstb and stock suspension and about 76k miles on it, and i dont ever drive the speed limit on open hwys and ive never felt my rear break lose a lil.... including last week doing 130+ with a 2k2 mustang gt
Old 10-04-2002, 07:11 PM

thanks for the input guys....i look into getting some of those...
Old 10-05-2002, 02:48 AM

Yea, while I dont have one, my buddies 97 gle has one and at high speeds it sticks real nice. He's running crappy tires as well, but the FSTB helped a lot with his car.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

I don't agree with that. My car, with just a FSTB feels a lot more stable at high speeds during simple things such as lane changes, versus my dad's I35 without it.

John
When I installed my FSTB it didn't help at all at high speeds. I didn't really notice a drastic difference in cornering either, but the Rear Sway Bar definitely improved handling. The whole theory behind the FSTB is that it is suppose to prevent body flexing. The only time the body flexes is when you are hanging corners or making very quick lane changes (the body flexes very little with quick lane changes). I still think a suspension upgrade would be the best solution. I could explain in great detail why this is true but that would take alot of typing..