5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 07:50 PM

Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

I put (Intake) in the subject in case anyone is getting sick and tired of this subject.

Anyhoo, I read on the Org where someone modified their airbox by chopping of the top (basically) and exposing the filter. By doing this, they gained like 9hp. I'm guessing this is as much or MORE than people are gaining with the CAI, and ofter market MAI.

I didn't chop up my box, but I took out the filter insert, and put the filter back in without it. I duct taped it to the dealy-bob it sits in and took it for a spin around the block.

My impression: ??? Big freakin' deal, man. That's it? It did sound pretty cool, but I'm hoping performance is NOT the main reason for switching out the factory box.

Or, am I missing something?
Old 10-09-2002, 09:19 PM

i have this done to my 2k2...no it duzn't make a big deal, u have to let ur chip learn the mod. my cars throttle response is quicker, not by a lot but just berely enought to notice, and the power comes more like a turbo, less linear, it feels like my car duzn't have any "groan grabbingly spactacular" feel until it hits around 3500...it suddenly kicks in around 35 -40 ....could it be, just maybe, VTEC?? haha...yea right...3.5 MAX power and the Variable intake is what that is....
Old 10-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

Originally posted by jjames
I put (Intake)

My impression: ??? Big freakin' deal, man. That's it? It did sound pretty cool, but I'm hoping performance is NOT the main reason for switching out the factory box.

Or, am I missing something?
You are missing the effect of cold air (w/ a CAI) and air tuning.

1) Many switch out the air box and go with a cold air intake (CAI) that sucks in air from outside the engine bay (behind the fog light). This air is anywhere from 75 to 150 degrees(depending on the outside temp) colder than the air under your hood (which can reach temps well into the mid hundreds or more) while driving. The colder air is much more compressed and will produce an even more noticable HP gain (upwards of 10 HP).

2) Plus, the intakes have a slight tuning effect with their shape and length, and they help control the air flow. They tend to have a slight ramming effect, over certain RPM's as the intake valves close and open, and air is "waved" by the pressure coming in the tube.

So, short story long, you're kind of right; but are missing something...
I personally wouldn't go with an aftermarket intake that wasn't Cold Air, as you would only get the tuned advantage (small). But, with a CAI, you gain both of the effects, and around 20+ HP (especially in cooler weather), which is well worth the $200 to most.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:24 PM

Re: Re: Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

Originally posted by Stikya

You are missing the effect of cold air (w/ a CAI) and air tuning.

1) Many switch out the air box and go with a cold air intake (CAI) that sucks in air from outside the engine bay (behind the fog light). This air is anywhere from 75 to 150 degrees(depending on the outside temp) colder than the air under your hood (which can reach temps well into the mid hundreds or more) while driving. The colder air is much more compressed and will produce an even more noticable HP gain (upwards of 10 HP).

2) Plus, the intakes have a slight tuning effect with their shape and length, and they help control the air flow. They tend to have a slight ramming effect, over certain RPM's as the intake valves close and open, and air is "waved" by the pressure coming in the tube.

So, short story long, you're kind of right; but are missing something...
I personally wouldn't go with an aftermarket intake that wasn't Cold Air, as you would only get the tuned advantage (small). But, with a CAI, you gain both of the effects, and around 20+ HP (especially in cooler weather), which is well worth the $200 to most.
I agree with everything except the 20HP increase. You may see a 5-10 HP increase, but anything else is marketing hype. Stock airboxes are not that inefficient, they do have alot of twist and bends which create turbulance, but the ram intake is before and above the radiator, therefore it is getting a relatively cool charge anyway. But, the sound you get from an intake is worth the price of admission.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:14 PM

I refined the "GAB" (Ghetto air box) and added an Ooglie scoop, and my car went from 97mph to 99.31mph with no other changes. There are pics of my setup on my homepage. It is quieter than a short ram, and it's free!! But best of all, the dealer won't scoff at it either.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:31 PM

Yeah, you're the one who gave me the idea... When I took the insert out, and taped the filter to the thing-a-ma-jig, it had a pretty good growl at high rpms. Is it the same way w/ your setup?

Oh, and where's the scoop?

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
I refined the "GAB" (Ghetto air box) and added an Ooglie scoop, and my car went from 97mph to 99.31mph with no other changes. There are pics of my setup on my homepage. It is quieter than a short ram, and it's free!! But best of all, the dealer won't scoff at it either.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:40 PM

that sucks in air from outside the engine bay (behind the fog light). This air is anywhere from 75 to 150 degrees(depending on the outside temp) colder than the air under your hood (which can reach temps well into the mid hundreds or more) while driving.
Has anyone ever put a thermometer under thier hood while they are moving? Cuz fresh air is coming in through the grill while you are driving, so the air is moving around and not stagnant. Not to mention that the intake for the stock air box is up by the grill, using the same concept as the CAI and, well, taking in colder air. I'd like to know how much cooler a CAI really is.

Of course everyone just runs on faith that Injen or Place Racing is telling the complete truth with thier numbers, even though they stand to make a ton of money from people believing them, so they'd never stretch the truth, right?

I've always fealt that 80% of the "gains" reported by intakes is the "muffler effect." It sounds louder, so psychologically you think it's more powerful. Seems everyone has an association with engine noise and power.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

Yeah, kinda curious about all of that myself. IF you can get the same gains by chopping the top off of the air box, why spend the money, and put yourself at greater risk for MAF failure. Unless of course you're more into looks. Which is cool.

Personally, for power and not looks, I think you're just as well off doing the ghetto airbox mod and replacing the y-pipe. It might cost an extra $150-$175 or so, but a y-pipe / ooglie ab mod is going to give greater gains than just a CAI, I would think.?.?

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Has anyone ever put a thermometer under thier hood while they are moving? Cuz fresh air is coming in through the grill while you are driving, so the air is moving around and not stagnant. Not to mention that the intake for the stock air box is up by the grill, using the same concept as the CAI and, well, taking in colder air. I'd like to know how much cooler a CAI really is.

Of course everyone just runs on faith that Injen or Place Racing is telling the complete truth with thier numbers, even though they stand to make a ton of money from people believing them, so they'd never stretch the truth, right?

I've always fealt that 80% of the "gains" reported by intakes is the "muffler effect." It sounds louder, so psychologically you think it's more powerful. Seems everyone has an association with engine noise and power.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu

I agree with everything except the 20HP increase. You may see a 5-10 HP increase, but anything else is marketing hype. Stock airboxes are not that inefficient, they do have alot of twist and bends which create turbulance, but the ram intake is before and above the radiator, therefore it is getting a relatively cool charge anyway. But, the sound you get from an intake is worth the price of admission.
Yea, but have you seen the size of the opening on that stock scoop? It's 1/2 the size (opening and thickness) of all the aftermarket intakes. So, you get more flow and colder flow due to an increased opening and better placement and shielding.

I would agree that you may only get 10-12 during the summer; but during those cooler times of the year, I can feel the extra. When it's 30 or below, ohh baby!
Old 10-11-2002, 08:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

Yea, but have you seen the size of the opening on that stock scoop? It's 1/2 the size (opening and thickness) of all the aftermarket intakes. So, you get more flow and colder flow due to an increased opening and better placement and shielding.
But who says that opening in the stock airbox isn't all you need, or more than you need? What volume of air do you need to pass through there? Maybe you don't need a bigger intake. You could have an intake that's 10 feet around, but it aint gonna help cuz without forced induction, your engine is only gonna suck in X ccm of air.

Not trying to pick on anybody, but I just think it's about time someone got hold of some real evidence. I don't have a lot of faith in anything that isn't backed. I'm an atheist.

For example, Frankencar's dynos for thier intake, they show jack squat for gains. Just cuz the peak power was above what was read for thier baseline run, it doesn't mean jack squat. Heck, thier dyno graph images aren't even on the same scale so you can't even overlay the two to see the differences!
Old 10-11-2002, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT

But who says that opening in the stock airbox isn't all you need, or more than you need? What volume of air do you need to pass through there? Maybe you don't need a bigger intake. You could have an intake that's 10 feet around, but it aint gonna help cuz without forced induction, your engine is only gonna suck in X ccm of air.

Not trying to pick on anybody, but I just think it's about time someone got hold of some real evidence. I don't have a lot of faith in anything that isn't backed. I'm an atheist.

For example, Frankencar's dynos for thier intake, they show jack squat for gains. Just cuz the peak power was above what was read for thier baseline run, it doesn't mean jack squat. Heck, thier dyno graph images aren't even on the same scale so you can't even overlay the two to see the differences!
I'm all for questioning everything and neededing proof to spend $. But, I don't regret spending the $200 on mine for one second.

I know how my car felt before I had it and after....

Obviously 20+ HP is a subjective estimate. But based on my experimentation with all my mods, including tuning my nitrous, to add a definite and dyno'd 10 or 20 HP, I know what HP increases feel like. And I can honestly say the CAI does make a noticable HP increase; and that effect is exaggerated by cooler weather. It does "feel" like it is around 20HP extra on those 30 degree or less days. I'm not trying to sell anything; don't buy one if you don't want. But, I know my CAI does make a difference, and that HP increase (whatever it is) is worth the $$ to me-plus it sounds cool.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:04 PM

This mod is catching on

I don't know how effective this will be....

...Buy a K&N filter, wipe the filter down to get rid of excess oil. The sound is more mechanical, but it also adds more of an exhaust note believe it or not.

The only thing I hate about this is when you cruise at 80mph, step ever-so-slighty on the gas and you get friggen intake drone

I also removed the front scoop disconnecting it from the silence box, my *** dyno says more positive feeling low-end TQ.

Those who are wondering what we're talking about...
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...771_7_full.jpg
Old 10-11-2002, 05:11 PM

I was in a hurry and had midas chanbe my oil for me. They did their usuall inspection (ie looked at air filter). Wel these chuckleheads couldn't figure out how to put my airfilter all the way back in and decided not to tell me. I left the shop jumped on the intertate and noticed my car felt a lot more responsive and growled when i stomped on it. I got off the next exit to see what was going on and found the filter just sitting in the slot but not clamped in. I have been thinking about doing a mod like this myself. I think i can take of the top of the airbox like you did with my rotozip tool. I might even get crazy and remove the side walls etc and just leaving a frame of the airbox in there. I wish I could find a spare airfilter box to experiment with and try taking one side of the box at a timewith the rotozip tool. hmmmmmmmmmm.....
Old 10-11-2002, 05:33 PM

Re: Did a little experiment on my car today..(Intake)

Originally posted by jjames
I duct taped it to the dealy-bob it sits in and took it for a spin around the block.
"Duct tape" and "mod" should never be used in the same sentence.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:17 AM

LOL. Yeah, and since I had to refer to the dealy-bob, I probably have no business modding my car.

Originally posted by kenshiro

"Duct tape" and "mod" should never be used in the same sentence.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:41 AM

Ya know, all you guys spend all this money on rims and stuff for the outside to make it look stylin' or spend tons of money on a sound system, and then you talk about ghetto rigging up an intake .
Come on, it's the entire package. When you show up to a Maxima meet, you want to open the hood and show them a nice engine compartment, not one with duct tape (not duck)and PVC tubing.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:27 PM

just my opinion, but i went with a (hot air type intake, like frankencar) and then went to the CAI, place racing, and i didn't feel jack. the sound was annoying as hell, so i went back to the stock setup.

i think the sound is what makes people think they are getting gains. i think i might just refine the current intake. maybe fiberglassing a new tube so the tubes are all smooth on the inside.

and regarding the intake opening being as big as you want but only taking in an X amount; i think the opening has a big role in determining the velocity of the air, you have to tune the diameter of the intake so it's not too big as to have close to no velocity, and not too small as to have mucho velocity, but little air volume coming in.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:04 AM

Victor,
Yes, got to remember the venturi effect . Good to hear from you. We are going to try to get to HIN Saturday. You?

TMS Sr.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:15 PM

i'm going, but i'm not sure if i'l be rolling in with the maximas and nissans or not. maybe i'll roll with the bmw, we'll see. or maybe i won't go.