5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hyundai Elantra GT...whadda ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by jnm2kse
I stopped by a local Nissan Dealer in Nashua and asked about a brake job. I asked him if he heard any bad stories about Bendix rotors and he just shrugged his shoulders...quoted me 550 for just the fronts. Ouch....
I'm gonna shoot myself if I fork out another half a grand on this car and it doesn't solve the problem. I still swear that the Nissan tech frigged up the front end when he cut the rotors a second time....is this possible? Could he have bent something just enough to cause rotors to warp so quickly?
Ever since he did it I have this little vibe ....like OOB but even with tire rotations and new rubber it still rides a tad rough.
I thought midas, meinke etc used cheap *** Chinse steel and that Bendix was supposed to be a decent American made rotor? What is Stillen made out of, titanium? American steel is American steel right?
$550 for a brake job is robbery. $140 for 2 rotors, $50 for pads, $20 for caliper seals(not needed if no leaks), $20 for hardware, $3 fluid = $213-233. Toss in an hour of labour and you hit $300. Am I missing something here? What the hell was the break down for the $550 brake job?

I doubt that the techs screwed anything up by turning the rotors. It isn't possible unless a sledge hammer was used. This is unlikely. But, turning rotors thins them out and they will warp even quicker than before. Two cuts is way too thin.

Steel is steel. But, there are differents types/qualities of steel. Also, cheapo rotors have different tolerances/balances/clearances etc. I never liked the fit/finish of autopart store rotors but never had problems with them. OEM is the way to go.

Tire balance, tire psi, cheap tires, and worn struts could affect ride quality. Rotations won't fix a tire balance issue or tires that aren't fully round.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by deadrx7conv

$550 for a brake job is robbery. $140 for 2 rotors, $50 for pads, $20 for caliper seals(not needed if no leaks), $20 for hardware, $3 fluid = $213-233. Toss in an hour of labour and you hit $300. Am I missing something here? What the hell was the break down for the $550 brake job?

I doubt that the techs screwed anything up by turning the rotors. It isn't possible unless a sledge hammer was used. This is unlikely. But, turning rotors thins them out and they will warp even quicker than before. Two cuts is way too thin.

Steel is steel. But, there are differents types/qualities of steel. Also, cheapo rotors have different tolerances/balances/clearances etc. I never liked the fit/finish of autopart store rotors but never had problems with them. OEM is the way to go.

Tire balance, tire psi, cheap tires, and worn struts could affect ride quality. Rotations won't fix a tire balance issue or tires that aren't fully round.
I agree with you, it is robbery...however I have asked quotes from 2 Nissan dealers and they have both been 5-550 dollars...yes indeedy but what do I do? Tell them that is way too much? they look at me and say "C-ya"

I meant to say if I didnt that I did have tires rotated and balanced....

I guess I could just bring the car into Nissan and tell them "Look, I just had Bendix rotors put on 3k ago, they suck and are warped...however this is the 2nd set of Bendix that have warped within 8k. Put Nissan ones on and guarantee me that they wont warp after 3k"n They'll laugh me out of the place.

I'm stuck with a Maxima with a bad problem I think....cheap or not cheap, there is no way 2 sets of Bendix rotors should be warping after a combined 7-8k miles.....

I really afraid to sink more $$ into this car
Old 10-13-2002, 05:19 PM

Spewing ignorance? I speak from experience. Two rental lemons and my GF's brand new Hyundai Elantra never worked. It ended up being traded in(after 6 months) for an incredibly(cause I hate GM) reliable troublefree Sunfire. Talk about tradein loss.
Your girlfriends car is the exception according to consumer reports. Consumer reports takes the evaluations of owners, as well as test vehicles into consideration. Reliability of the hyundai is ranked much higher than that of the competing sunfire. (9/2001)

I don't consider the resale value of the Maxima poor. The tradein value is. But, the tradein value for most cars are. And, with the current economy, its getting worse.
You my friend are the exception then. Ask just about anyone here about selling their maximas having bought them new. Sure every new car is going to lose resale value over time; the maxima for whatever reason is unfortunately losing it's value at a much greater rate. It's been mentioned on these forums over and over again. (And reiterated when I wanted to trade in for the Z.)

Plus, from what I remember working in car sales, most people overpay for their vehicles. It was my job to screw people because of the almighty word "commission". I quit sales because it was unethical.
If one person got a good deal, this affects the resale/tradein for everyone who got screwed. Todays newspaper showed SE/GLE 2003 new Maximas for $4000+ under MSRP. For people who pay MSRP or have trade ins, too bad. Several months ago, I saw almost $6k discounts on new 2002 Maximas. Those who need financing, who have tradeins, questionable credit, whatever, will always suffer and usually don't get great deals. Dealers screw them alot. They make a profit on the car they are selling to you, and they will make a profit on the tradein that they will sell, and they will make a profit on the loan.
Very true. Nissan was suffering terrible losses during the late 90's. If you wanted a Nissan you knew that you just waited until the next big sales event. One usually didn't have to wait long. Unfortunately these tactics have hurt the resale values of our cars.

Paint chips aren't just a Maxima issue. I had paint chips on every car I have owned. Usually its caused by driving to close to the car in front of me or by all those winter sanding trucks. I think that if people kept their distance(difficult in a powerful car driven by inexperienced speed mongers), they would have less rocks bouncing off their bumpers, hoods, windshields etc.
I agree. However without question the Nissans suffer excessive paint chips. 12k miles on my car about 1 chip per 1k miles.

Did you read this thread? It is 10 pages long! Not a single person in the span of ten pages said "I think it's normal". Hmmm, that seems excessive to me. Maybe you haven't had your Maxima long enough.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=resale

I also don't care for magazines or collected opinions. Dealer ratings don't mean squat. Hell, my opinion doesn't mean squat either. But, I will share it, just like you shared yours. See the thread name--Elantra--whadda ya think? So I gave my opinion. Too bad that your Nissan dealer sucks and that your Hyundai dealer kisses a$s. Customer service is an issue that almost every dealer needs to work on.
I agree customer service on the whole stinks. I just found it interesting that you posted "Hyundai dealer network sucks", when according to consumers they are miles above that of the average Nissan dealer.

Aftermarket support? Who said that there isn't any? Mod away and watch that super warranty disappear. I don't need an extended warranty. I need a reliable car. I can't remember a time that any of my Nissans needed warranty work. Maybe its because of my preventative maintenance or driving style? Maybe its because I am lucky!
The laws that apply to your Nissan warranty are the same laws that apply to Hyundais you know. A dealer cannot refuse warranty work because of ANY aftermarket part, unless the aftermarket part was directly involved. Don't remember any time your Nissan needed warranty work? Too bad you don't have a 2k2; I've been to the dealer twice just on recalls in 2 months. Been to the Hyundai dealer twice in three years. I know that the 2k2 has suffered more recalls than most Maxima's but it's still ironic, isn't it?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=34138
That's federal law, by the way. Applies all over the country. So mod away...

I also don't care for Hyundai's diversification. Any company with credit can buyout other companies and stick their name on it. It doesn't mean that they are great.
Better credit than our beloved Nissan unfortunately...

Talking safety, weren't those side airbags recalled for not working in 2001? How many people got slammed before forcing a recall? Want safety? Visit this website and compare the 2001-2 Elantra to the 2001-2 Civic/Sentra/Corolla/Impreza.....
http://www.hwysafety.org/default.htm
Too bad it can't be compared to the Maxima(different size). I'll take my chances with the heavier car in a 'car vs car accident'. Physics is in the Maximas favor. I avoid crashing my cars and never hit immovable objects. Yeah, Hyundais are safe.
Hey thanks for the post. My Elantra came in 3rd. It beat every single car that you listed with the exception of the Civic, which on average cost $1100 more and carries a lesser warranty. Actually even I'm surprised here. Thanks for backing me up though.

Also, I will repeat myself. If you want to buy it, rent/borrow it first to make sure you like it. If you buy it, maintain it and keep receipts. Read the warranty's small print. The dealers around here tried to void the warranty every chance they got. Actually, most dealers, regardless of make, around here are like that.
I agree wholeheartedly. Test drive them, talk to owners, and read the reports about them.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by soopermax02

Your girlfriends car is the exception according to consumer reports. Consumer reports takes the evaluations of owners, as well as test vehicles into consideration. Reliability of the hyundai is ranked much higher than that of the competing sunfire. (9/2001)

You my friend are the exception then. Ask just about anyone here about selling their maximas having bought them new. Sure every new car is going to lose resale value over time; the maxima for whatever reason is unfortunately losing it's value at a much greater rate. It's been mentioned on these forums over and over again. (And reiterated when I wanted to trade in for the Z.)

Very true. Nissan was suffering terrible losses during the late 90's. If you wanted a Nissan you knew that you just waited until the next big sales event. One usually didn't have to wait long. Unfortunately these tactics have hurt the resale values of our cars.

I agree. However without question the Nissans suffer excessive paint chips. 12k miles on my car about 1 chip per 1k miles.

Did you read this thread? It is 10 pages long! Not a single person in the span of ten pages said "I think it's normal". Hmmm, that seems excessive to me. Maybe you haven't had your Maxima long enough.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=resale

I agree customer service on the whole stinks. I just found it interesting that you posted "Hyundai dealer network sucks", when according to consumers they are miles above that of the average Nissan dealer.

The laws that apply to your Nissan warranty are the same laws that apply to Hyundais you know. A dealer cannot refuse warranty work because of ANY aftermarket part, unless the aftermarket part was directly involved. Don't remember any time your Nissan needed warranty work? Too bad you don't have a 2k2; I've been to the dealer twice just on recalls in 2 months. Been to the Hyundai dealer twice in three years. I know that the 2k2 has suffered more recalls than most Maxima's but it's still ironic, isn't it?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=34138
That's federal law, by the way. Applies all over the country. So mod away...

Better credit than our beloved Nissan unfortunately...

Hey thanks for the post. My Elantra came in 3rd. It beat every single car that you listed with the exception of the Civic, which on average cost $1100 more and carries a lesser warranty. Actually even I'm surprised here. Thanks for backing me up though.

I agree wholeheartedly. Test drive them, talk to owners, and read the reports about them.

So sooper...I take it that you like your Hyundai?

I'm sitting here thinking how fun it was driving that GT......I dunno..it would probably wear off but all the stuff you get in that car for the price...

It seemed like such a solid and well put together vehicle...who knows...

Auto Fair which is the big boys of dealers pretty much told me that thet would noy match the price that I received from Rt2 Hyundai...I got a quote from them that was a grand less than AF was selling for...salesman pretty much told me if RT2 will sell it to me at that price then I should buy it from them as it is a steal.....

RT2 price is under invoice I think so I'm gonna quiz them a bit making sure that there price is legit and they arent messing with me....they knew I was shopping at AF(who supposedly gives the lowest upfront no haggle price on their cars)...havent spoken 2 the saleswoman but do have their quote in an email...I asked if there were any more fees involved other than destination and she said just 130 for doc and prep fees.......

If they dont try to rape me on the trade I may go for it......

we'll see
Old 01-19-2003, 08:12 AM

I worked for a BIG dealership for a bit that had everything from Chevys, Jeeps, to Mitsubishes and Kias.

Everyday on my lunch break I will pass by Hyundia and ALWAYS saw a Hyundia towed into the service bay. One time I was chit chatting with some Hyundia salemen and asked them how it felt to sell "trash" they didn't know how to rerspond
Old 01-19-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by TimW
I have found that if you dont torque your own lugs by hand and let a shop do it, there is a 99.9% chance they will over tighten them. So, I'm not really disputing what you said.

Yeah, I dont think he's had 13 sets of rotors I'm not really sure when/if Nissan sourced them differently after finding the problem with materials. They may have decided the material defects were low enough that they didnt change anything. Unsure.

I keep a torque wrench by the spare. Mine required turning at 36K. Then again, there also talk of the pad material used causing excessive heat and warpage now.. :/
I agree with TimW wholeheartedly, I took my Max in to the dealer but I brought in the TSB for the brakes to show them I know what's going on and that I wanted it done correctly. Prior to my knowledge of the TSB on the rotors they did my brakes and they warped, since I've taken the TSB in and had my brakes done, they haven't warped and that's been over 1 year now.

It's funny though, when I went there and asked before I presented them with the TSB write-up, no one seemed to notice what I was talking about. Make certain that you let them know what is going on with all of the TSB's on the Max, bring them in with you so that they won't be able to pull one over on you.
Just my .02
Old 01-19-2003, 11:11 AM

I got my wife a 98 Elantra and it worked great for 2 years. Then we replaced it with a 99 Sonata. Biggest of crap ever. Thankfully, I purchased an extended warranty on it, because like clock work something would break every 6 weeks. I couldn't wait to ditch it.

I'll never buy another Hyundai.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:08 PM

Don't think a majority of the new Maxima buyers will consider a Hyundai. Unless Hyundai puts a 300+ HP V8 in a nice looking 4-door and priced it around $25,000
Old 01-19-2003, 10:44 PM
Maxima91

lol who would buy a hyundia? there cheap, ugly, slow, and plain. the cheapest cars around. you get what you pay for. total crap they are IMO

Old 01-20-2003, 03:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Hyundai Elantra GT...whadda ya think?

Originally posted by MaxTuner

you gotta be kidding rite!
it's like telling ppl, why buy Japanese cars if you can get a China made cars for 1/3 of the price...
it is a south korean car
Old 01-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maxima91
lol who would buy a hyundia? there cheap, ugly, slow, and plain. the cheapest cars around. you get what you pay for. total crap they are IMO
Don't know why everyone trying to dogg on Hyundai. They're cheap but who cares. I've had 2 hyundais in the family and they've all lasted at least 7 years with no major problems. Quality seems fine enough to me. Ugly? Slow? Go aftermarket. Their aftermarket is HUGE if you look. I love my max but I've been to the dealership around 5 times so far with the max. Around once a month since i've owned it.