5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

In cabin micro filter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 01:13 PM
rgaret

In cabin micro filter replacement

I want to change my in-cabin microfilter on my 2k2 SE. How do I get the thing out of the car. I am very capable of following directions but where do I get them?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2002, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: In cabin micro filter replacement

Originally posted by rgaret
I want to change my in-cabin microfilter on my 2k2 SE. How do I get the thing out of the car. I am very capable of following directions but where do I get them?

Thanks
http://www.courtesyparts.com/instruc...binfilter.html
Old 10-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Kuhmo D

So the micro filter only filters with the AC? Does it filter with regular heat or with recycling air?

Old 10-31-2002, 05:25 AM

Any air that goes through the fan/blower will go through the filter.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Never heard of a car having an air filter. Why not just take it out and leave it out?
Old 10-31-2002, 09:26 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Larry
Never heard of a car having an air filter. Why not just take it out and leave it out?
Well, you could if you wanted to, but it does cut down on dust, etc. entering the car.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:28 AM

There's no point in flaming you on this one Larry, because I am sure you have seen the error in your ways.

Why not leave your windshield washer resevoir empty while your at it. Don't wash your car, either, it's not necessary.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:16 AM

If you don't care then go ahead. Some people might want it though if they have any kind of allergies. It's not a HEPA filter, but anything is better than nothing. My GF has dust allergies, so it's a nice feature.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:24 AM

It's just another gimmick to get you into the dealership to change it. They didn't make it easy to do. In the 2K2 you will reuse the air filter. It can be cleaned (whereas the previous years...you replaced it). But wait until you see how inconvenient it is to do. I'll just have them do mine when I take her in every two years to do a flush/fill on the coolant.
I will still do my own oil changes.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:48 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Mark S.
In the 2K2 you will reuse the air filter. It can be cleaned (whereas the previous years...you replaced it).
Say what?

It is the same filter and same installation on all 5th Gens.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:53 AM

From what I've read...the 2K2 has a re-useable filter as opposed to the previous models where you would replace the filter. The 2K2 one can be washed and re-used. I believe it mentions this in the owner's manual.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:02 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Its easy

The first time it will take about 20 minutes. After that, about 10. Its cake. Just be very careful not to
1) disconnect the airbag connector (yellow)
2) moving the "dash" piece. If careless you could scratch your center console.

Trust me its easy.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:52 PM
jjs

Originally posted by Mark S.
From what I've read...the 2K2 has a re-useable filter as opposed to the previous models where you would replace the filter. The 2K2 one can be washed and re-used. I believe it mentions this in the owner's manual.
The part numbers are exactly the same for all years. I cannot locate this reference in either the 2002 or 2003 manuals.

If you can site the source, I would be very interested.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by olincoles

There's no point in flaming you on this one Larry, because I am sure you have seen the error in your ways.

Why not leave your windshield washer resevoir empty while your at it. Don't wash your car, either, it's not necessary.
You obviously missed my point. Most of us have survived for years without an ac filter in our cars. I bet we could continue to get by without!
Old 10-31-2002, 01:38 PM

Larry, I got your point, it just didn't make sense. "Why not just take it out and leave it out?" If we have it, and we paid for it, and it does some good, why should we just take it out and leave it out? Cars didn't always have A/C either, but now it is standard. Evolve Larry, evolve.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:47 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

having used the filters for 2.5 years now, I have to say I like them. They do help with pollen and whatnot.. they dont help with exhaust fumes tho.

There is a downside, the fan motor is more likely to tick with a filter. I've seen four motors do this within 6 months of using a filter. I have a new motor motor on my max and its starting to tick again thinking of pulling my filter just because of that.. very annoying.

and yeah, I've had the TSB hush kit installed *and* the new motor.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by olincoles
Larry, I got your point, it just didn't make sense. "Why not just take it out and leave it out?" If we have it, and we paid for it, and it does some good, why should we just take it out and leave it out? Cars didn't always have A/C either, but now it is standard. Evolve Larry, evolve.
My, my, aren't we touchy!

You take it out and leave it out so you don't have to pay for replacement, bother to clean it or have your fan motor under unnecessary load. Or worse yet have the air bag deploy while replacing it should you decide to do it yourself.

Hey, keep your filter. You paid for it now go ahead and maintain it now!
Old 10-31-2002, 01:56 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by TimW
having used the filters for 2.5 years now, I have to say I like them. They do help with pollen and whatnot.. they dont help with exhaust fumes tho.

There is a downside, the fan motor is more likely to tick with a filter. I've seen four motors do this within 6 months of using a filter. I have a new motor motor on my max and its starting to tick again thinking of pulling my filter just because of that.. very annoying.

and yeah, I've had the TSB hush kit installed *and* the new motor.
Hmmm, now you are going to make me listen carefully to mine...GRRR! Then I will have an issue I did not have before. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:03 PM

You obviously missed my point. Most of us have survived for years without an ac filter in our cars. I bet we could continue to get by without!
No one missed your point. Most of survived for years without cars.... without ac at all, without steak, without sex , without good beer. Our parents existed for years without indoor plumbing. Whats your point?
Old 12-13-2002, 05:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Our 2001 Maxima has the cabin filter. I noticed when people are burning leaves we don't smell it in the car. So the filter is removing the smoke. I found this nice since I find the smell of burning leaves offesive. I don't smoke and I find any smoke bothers me. I initially didn't think too much about this filter being useful but this experience made me a believer.

I need to change the filter so the above link is appreciated.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:05 AM

Does anyone know if the microfilter can be retrofitted to a car that didn't have the option? Is the housing there? My 2k1 se didn't come with the option, but since the option was less than $100 IIRC, it cannot be that hard (and yes I've searched and this hasn't been discussed).
Old 12-13-2002, 07:11 AM

sure, theres a spot for it, regardless if the dealer put on in at delivery or not. That was very convenient for my max... however on our pathfinder, I had to cut out some perferated plastic on the housing. Now it has to have a filter from now on Or cut the element out. The max is a better design, you can run with or without the filter.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:27 AM

the 2000s didn't come with the filter, but had a spot for it. and after 2001 the filter came with the car. I just got my in cabin filter from DaveB and I'm putting it in one of these days.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:14 AM

Thanks. Now, all I have to do is read up, buy the filter and make sure I don't disconnect the air bag...
Old 01-11-2003, 06:35 PM

i think ima go for the K & N one cuz you can oil it and shtuff
Old 01-12-2003, 11:23 AM

courtesy instructions now quite right

I tried to change the filter this morning and the directions on the Courtesy site don't match. The Courtesy instructions may be for cars that did not include a factor filter (it's not clear from the site). The ESM doesn't help much with this part either.

The instructions show a lower glove box finisher being held on by tabs. My 02 had no tabs and seems to have only two screws. Removing these screws didn't free up the box as part of the door way trim is in the way. I tried removing the glove box screws but stopped short of removing the glove box latch screws (which may have been the key). Any 02's out there done this yet? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by MaximaSEAE01
i think ima go for the K & N one cuz you can oil it and shtuff
I've done that. I had the gain dynoed at 5HP.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:58 PM

Re: courtesy instructions now quite right

Originally posted by ajahearn
The instructions show a lower glove box finisher being held on by tabs. My 02 had no tabs and seems to have only two screws.
There is no 'finisher' on a maxima, only Infinitis have them. Skip that part.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:21 PM

thanks

Thanks Tim. I did a more wide spread search and I saw your previous append about this issue. I managed to replace everything but now I'm further puzzled. What I bought matches the picture on the Courtesy site for a microfilter. What I had previously in my 02 was a simple pleated paper air filter (similar in design to intake air filters although not oiled). The filter did have dust and debris on it which prompted me to gently vacuum the area inside the housing. I've seen several debates about filters being washable and about when to replace them (12 months/15K miles or 30K miles). The glove box sticker for my paper filter said it was washable and should be replaced every 12/15. The sticker that came with the carbon filter says 30k (I don't recall if it was washable).

I don't know whether I should feel cheated or not. Presumably the carbon filters are better then the air filter. I checked my invoice sheet for my car and it simply says microfilter. Does anyone know if Nissan has opted to replace the charcoal filters with paper or was I sold a "better" part incorrectly?

Lastly, the directions didn't say how the carbon filters go in. They come in two pieces that don't snap together but seem to stack on top of each other. They were both labeled with an UP but not which side went in first. They have slightly different sides which makes this non-obvious. One side is smooth and the other has two plastic bumper like pieces on it. Does anyone know the proper orientation?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Anyone attempting this should be warned ahead of time that the part of the glove box that goes in near the door is a pain to get out and an even bigger pain to get back in place.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:02 PM

the washable version is newer than the charcoal version. a matter of taste really. The charcoal version can make for some odd smells sometimes.

Once you get the hang of that right side, it gets alot easier. I was very frustrated the first time, now I can get in there in seconds and replace it just as fast.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Donating Member

Does it filter the sunroof air too?

I agree, just a gimmick unless you live down south with your AC on almost 100% of the time. Otherwise, the vast majority of driving is with a window/sunroof open or in the winter when most pollen is non-existent. I have to clean the dust off my dash almost weekly in the spring/summer so the filter isn't worth replacing in my case.

To each his own.

Has anyone left their filter out and noticed any change?