5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TWO FUN ROADKILLS TONIGHT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 10:19 PM

Ok first let me say that this is the 1st time I've been challenged twice in one night, both within about 30 minutes of each other.

Roadkill #1: This Nissan 240 SX pulls up along side me at a light and revs me. I'm thinking this guy must be either really stupid or totally oblivious to the power of maximas (And he sure as Hell was clueless about the SCer under my hood). Anyways I thought this should be fun so as soon as the light turned green I punched it and all I "HEARD" (notice not saw) was his tires spinning out. At 65 mph I saw him in my rear view mirror and let off the gas, and shortly there after he goes flying by me and quickly turned off on a side street. Not really one to be proud of but hey he asked for it.

Roadkill #2: This one was with a BMW 528i (second BMW in a month- the 1st one was a 540i and I didn't fair as well). This BMW 528i and I come up on a stop sign at the same time and I noticed that he took off as soon as he saw me. I then floored it and quickly pulled up along side of him (This 40 degree weather here in DFW really makes my SCer purr) and when my car shifted into second it really chirped my front tires. At this point it was all over because I quickly started to pull away from him and had somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 car lengths on the Bimer when I hit 110 mph. (The highway leading out to my house is great because there is almost no traffic, surrounded by farm fields, and I have yet to see a cop) Turns out that the guy lives in my subdivision and as we turned into our neighborhood he pulled to the side of the street and waved me to the side of his car. He said, "Damn I didn't realize that those maximas were so fast?" At which I replied, "Yeah they are pretty quick and they are even quicker when you add a supercharger!!" He got out and took a look at my engine and just kind of shook his head in disbelief. He told me that he thought he was going to be able to catch up to me and pass me at the higher speeds, but said that I just kept pulling away from him!!! This was really a fun roadkill!! Although I must say that I will respect the 540i's at least until I get my exhaust work done next month.
Old 12-23-2000, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by DMan_2KMax
Ok first let me say that this is the 1st time I've been challenged twice in one night, both within about 30 minutes of each other.

Roadkill #1: This Nissan 240 SX pulls up along side me at a light and revs me. I'm thinking this guy must be either really stupid or totally oblivious to the power of maximas (And he sure as Hell was clueless about the SCer under my hood). Anyways I thought this should be fun so as soon as the light turned green I punched it and all I "HEARD" (notice not saw) was his tires spinning out. At 65 mph I saw him in my rear view mirror and let off the gas, and shortly there after he goes flying by me and quickly turned off on a side street. Not really one to be proud of but hey he asked for it.

Roadkill #2: This one was with a BMW 528i (second BMW in a month- the 1st one was a 540i and I didn't fair as well). This BMW 528i and I come up on a stop sign at the same time and I noticed that he took off as soon as he saw me. I then floored it and quickly pulled up along side of him (This 40 degree weather here in DFW really makes my SCer purr) and when my car shifted into second it really chirped my front tires. At this point it was all over because I quickly started to pull away from him and had somewhere between 1 1/2 and 2 car lengths on the Bimer when I hit 110 mph. (The highway leading out to my house is great because there is almost no traffic, surrounded by farm fields, and I have yet to see a cop) Turns out that the guy lives in my subdivision and as we turned into our neighborhood he pulled to the side of the street and waved me to the side of his car. He said, "Damn I didn't realize that those maximas were so fast?" At which I replied, "Yeah they are pretty quick and they are even quicker when you add a supercharger!!" He got out and took a look at my engine and just kind of shook his head in disbelief. He told me that he thought he was going to be able to catch up to me and pass me at the higher speeds, but said that I just kept pulling away from him!!! This was really a fun roadkill!! Although I must say that I will respect the 540i's at least until I get my exhaust work done next month.

hey i noticed u have a second pipe ontop of the supercharger that is pulling cold air from the bottom of the car like a CAI... do u see a difference with that than the regular filter near the SC unit thing (forgot waht its called) how much additional was that pipe to add? Stillen SC doesnt usually come with it right? cause this is the first time i see it... well lemme know
Old 12-23-2000, 08:27 AM

V2 Supercharger

That's the way the new V2 superchargers are manufactured from Stillen. The old V1 SCer had the air intake filter attached directly to the side of the SCer, but the new SCers pull air from beneath the engine through a massive K&N cone airfilter. So in effect the new kit has a built in CAI, which I'm sure helps with the horsepower gains generated by the SCer kit. The new kits are running around 5.5-6 lbs of boost which is slightly down from the previous V1 SCer and this could be due in part to the new intake that is being employed in the kit (i.e. probably doesn't require as much boost since it has a CAI) Since Stillen shipped me the new pulley for my SCer, I have been running about 7-7.5 lbs of boost. My car goes all the way to 6500-6600 on the tach before it shifts into 2nd, and it will usually chirp 2nd gear when shifting. (But that's more the result of the Valve Body Upgrade that Don Cooper did for me and the new TCU). Later

Old 12-23-2000, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SC COST?

D man, I am interested in SC ing my 2k1 GLE. How much can I expect to spend for the new SC kit from Stillen? I love the race stories, I dyed laughing when the 528 driver pulled you over to see why the Maxima was so fast. I want to shock people as you do with a SC.

Old 12-23-2000, 04:14 PM

Re: SC COST?

I preordered mine back in March and Stillen gave me a small discount:
Stillen V2 SCer = $3350
Labor for install = $1000 (Long story but in a
nut shell the freakn' thing didn't fit on my car
because I had an automatic) Stillen has
resolved the fit issue but I don't think they
are selling the kit to owners of auto trannys.
Greddy Turbo Boost Gauge = $400
Upgrading the VB & tranny cooler = $850

All in all quite expensive but worth every $$ IMHO!! Hope you have a 5-speed because otherwise you're out of luck with Stillen unless they've changed their policy. They ended up with so much egg on their face with the install of the SCer on my car that I think they decided to stop selling it to owners with auto trannys. (Not to mention the liability implications for them!!!) It's kind of cool to know that I have the only 2K auto tranny maxima with a supercharger. Later and good luck.

Old 12-24-2000, 05:39 AM

Re: Re: SC COST?

It's kind of cool to know that I have the only 2K auto tranny maxima with a supercharger. Later and good luck.

[/I]
From what Ive been able to gather, you are the only one with the 5th gen charger period!

Have you redynoed with the added boost?
Old 12-24-2000, 07:04 AM

New Dyno Numbers

From what Ive been able to gather, you are the only one with the 5th gen charger period!

Have you redynoed with the added boost?

No not yet! I'm waiting to add the Y-pipe in a couple of weeks and then I plan on redynoing (Is that even a word). Anyways take care and all of yall have a Merry Christmas!!!

Diederik <><
Old 12-24-2000, 08:28 AM

so diedrick ur trying to tell me that if i call stillen now and tell them that i want the SCer for my auto 5th gen they arent gonna sell me one? im on the east coast so they wouldnt even be installing it for me... basically the unit is the same right? so i just order that... what additional stuff would i have to order from them to make it complete for my auto tranny? someone here on the east coast in nYc area will install for me... thanks
Old 12-24-2000, 09:02 AM

Supercharger results...??

DMan : Did you notice a huge increase in speed an acceleration with the supercharger? It seems before laying that kind of jack on the table you better make sure the results are worth it. Do you have a sub 6 second 0-60? What do you think the 1/4 time is? How has the supercharger affected your gas mileage?

Old 12-24-2000, 12:02 PM

Re: Supercharger results...??

Originally posted by 2MaxOrNot2Max
DMan : Did you notice a huge increase in speed an acceleration with the supercharger?
Yes I did notice a HUGE increase in speed and acceleration!! When I floor it and the boost kicks in the car will push you back into your seat like a V8 engine!! The local sales manager of my Nissan dealership took a ride in my car and said, "I can't believe how your car pulls, I mean it pushes you back into the seat!! WOW!!"

It seems before laying that kind of jack on the table you better make sure the results are worth it. [/QUOTE]

It was totally worth the $$ in my opinion, althought my wife would beg to differ. Ha-Ha, but hey it's my car and she's happy now that I bought her the 2001 Pathfinder LE. Now that car has a lot of sweet low end torque!! Nissan ought to put that engine into the maximas.

Do you have a sub 6 second 0-60? What do you think the 1/4 time is? [/QUOTE]

I have clocked my 0-60 time at 6.4 seconds, but remember that a stock auto does 0-60 somewhere between 8.2-8.8 seconds depending on what magazine you read. So I would say that is a pretty significan improvement! I can't wait to see how the y-pipe will improve my 0-60 times.

How has the supercharger affected your gas mileage? [/QUOTE]

My gas mileage has gone down a bit but not much. Presupercharger I was getting almost 400 miles out of a tank and now I usually can get between 330-350 miles out of a tank with about 2 gallons in reserve. So it computes to roughly 20-21 mpg, which isn't bad considering that I get on it every once and a while. (Well actually pretty often!)

Old 12-24-2000, 12:17 PM

BAD NEWS

Originally posted by psing23
so diedrick ur trying to tell me that if i call stillen now and tell them that i want the SCer for my auto 5th gen they arent gonna sell me one? im on the east coast so they wouldnt even be installing it for me... basically the unit is the same right? so i just order that... what additional stuff would i have to order from them to make it complete for my auto tranny? someone here on the east coast in nYc area will install for me... thanks
Unfortunately Stillen won't sell you the supercharger if you have an auto tranny! If you order the kit and tell them that your max is a 5-speed you'll run into the problem that they discovered with my car- THE AIRFILTER ASSEMBLY UNIT WILL NOT FIT ON YOUR AUTO TRANNY BECAUSE THE GEAR BOX GETS IN THE WAY!! Then when you call them to complain about this they'll say, "Well sir you told us your car was a 5-speed!"
You could opt to lie to them and order it anyway and I could give you the name of my mechanic and the shops phone number and they could explain how they modified my kit and got the airfilter assembly to work. It'll be a little work for you or your shop but it is really not to big of a pain if you are willing to go through it. Let me know if I can be of any help. Later

Diederik <><
Old 12-24-2000, 03:17 PM

Hey Dman...have you noticed any problems thus far?...more specifically....transmission?
Old 12-24-2000, 07:32 PM

No TRANNY Problems to date!

I have not had any tranny problems. I did upgrade my valve body, added a tranny cooler, and had a new TCU installed so that will hopefully help avoid any serious tranny problems for a while. If my tranny ever does go I plan on doing a level 10 rebuild with a torque converter but hopefully that won't happen anytime soon. I try not to abuse my car and only get on it every once in a while, plus remember my wife drives it also and I can assure you she DOESN'T get on it!! She'll never appreciate all that power like I do, although it has helped her a couple of times to merge into traffic and get around this jerk once.
Old 12-30-2000, 11:32 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Supercharger results...??

Originally posted by 2MaxOrNot2Max
DMan : Did you notice a huge increase in speed an acceleration with the supercharger? It seems before laying that kind of jack on the table you better make sure the results are worth it. Do you have a sub 6 second 0-60? What do you think the 1/4 time is? How has the supercharger affected your gas mileage?
Let me tell you guys when we were both in Houston having his VB installed, I got to ride in his max at the time, in the back seat. It really lays you back good in the seats, I mean I had WIDE OPEN eyes when he stabbed it! If I remember right he drove mine, siad it was slow!

Old 12-31-2000, 11:29 AM

what happened wit the 540 ?

i thought a 4th gen with y pipe intake and a full out exhaust system and forced induction can take a 540 am i not correct ?
i thought u would b able to take a 540

do u think its because ur running a slush box and not a 5speed?
im quite curious
540s are pushin 285 i believe u should have more then that .
AS well as torque shouldnt be a prob for the max
Old 12-31-2000, 11:31 AM

O ya .. how was your launch ?

IM just really spppoooooked about this .
Old 12-31-2000, 06:06 PM

while your answering questions I have one ,I plan(will) put a s/c on my car before the end of the year.What's the longest trip you have take in your max with it?And if you haven't takein any do you know how bad long trips are for the car with it

Thanks Omax
Old 01-02-2001, 09:41 PM

Longest Trip

Originally posted by omax
while your answering questions I have one ,I plan(will) put a s/c on my car before the end of the year.What's the longest trip you have take in your max with it?And if you haven't takein any do you know how bad long trips are for the car with it

Thanks Omax

I've driven it from Dallas/Ft.Worth to Houston and back several times and that is roughly a 500 mile round trip. No problems to date. The car drives great on the highway and gets about 26 mpg when I make my Houston trip.
Old 01-02-2001, 09:43 PM

Re: Longest Trip

Originally posted by omax

Thanks Omax

I've driven it from Dallas/Ft.Worth to Houston and back several times and that is roughly a 500 mile round trip. No problems to date. The car drives great on the highway and gets about 26 mpg when I make my Houston trip.

o man diedrick.. i am so envious of ur SC... everytime ur sig loads i get so pissed that stillen isnt gonna make an auto SC kit...
Old 01-02-2001, 09:52 PM

Re: O ya .. how was your launch ?

Originally posted by tunedup
IM just really spppoooooked about this .
My launch was ok but the guy in the 540i had a 5-speed (I could tell by the way he was shifting) and remember I still have a completely stock exhaust setup. I just ordered the Cattman SS y-pipe last week and that should make a big difference in my car's performance. I also have a auto tranny. Here are the numbers for a V8 540i:

Horsepower = 282 hp (My car is 320 hp @ 6500 rpm)
Torque = 324 ft-lbs (My car is 273 ft-lbs)
0-60 Time = 5.5 seconds

So you can see that the 5-speed 540i is no limp biscuit. I was happy to keep up with him the way I did.
Old 01-02-2001, 10:04 PM

Re: Re: Longest Trip

o man diedrick.. i am so envious of ur SC... everytime ur sig loads i get so pissed that stillen isnt gonna make an auto SC kit... [/I][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliment!! Take care. I'll post my new dyno numbers in a week or so after I get the Cattman SS y-pipe installed.
Old 01-03-2001, 06:32 AM

Damn Dman you should'nt have told him your secret so he would think all new maxima's are that quick. Even though you probably could have beat his *** without it.