5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help. Eibach is to hard and to low.What is out there for me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 06:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help. Eibach is to hard and to low.What is out there for me.

I just put in the Eibach springs but they are to hard and way to low for me. I'm thinking of puting H&Rs But the specs say they are lower than Eibach (eibach 1" 1.3" yeh right)I need a set that minimize the lowering, is not going to bottom out like the Eibachs do and can load a family of 4 including myself and not have to worry about it. Please Help
Tokicos are in also.

PS. Anyone from NJ Out there!

RP Seanote.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Need help. Eibach is to hard and to low.What is out there for me.

I have the Tokico/H&R set up on my 2k2 and I highly recommend it. The look and handling are tight and the ride is not much stiffer than my former 2k stock set-up.

Took the whole crew (family of 4) on a short road trip this past weekend (capitol beltway, 270N). Granted, those roads were in great shape but it was a smooth tight ride all around.

I've had the Tokico/Eibach set up on an '86 300ZX (RIP). The handling was PERFECT but the ride was a little too much on the stiff side. I would get back pain from any trip over a couple of hours.

Anyways, good luck.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by seanote
I just put in the Eibach springs but they are to hard and way to low for me. I'm thinking of puting H&Rs But the specs say they are lower than Eibach (eibach 1" 1.3" yeh right)I need a set that minimize the lowering, is not going to bottom out like the Eibachs do and can load a family of 4 including myself and not have to worry about it. Please Help
Tokicos are in also.

RP Seanote.
weird....I still have finger gaps for the front and rear...rear is a bit higher. and Eibach has the lowest drop rate than other brands.

here's my eibach with koni
before (front)

after (front)
Old 10-15-2002, 09:36 AM

I have the HR and stock strut set up.

The ride is only the slightest bit rougher than stock and the drop
is not bad at all!

One thing that i dsilike about the HR's that you should (or might already) know about.........back drops slightly lower than the front,
but it still looks dope and it rides great too.

Can't wait to get my modified KYB AGX's!!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 10:07 AM

If it is bottoming out, did the installer cut the rubber bump-stops when they put the Eibachs in. When I installed mine, I didn't at first and it was bottoming out, especially in the back. I disassembled the rear strut, cut the recommended amount from the stop and now it only bottoms out in extreme conditions.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:34 AM

acMAX -

I felt the same way about the back dropping slightly more than the front. But after a few weeks, I think the weight of the engine has caused the front to settle just a bit. It's working for me.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
If it is bottoming out, did the installer cut the rubber bump-stops when they put the Eibachs in. When I installed mine, I didn't at first and it was bottoming out, especially in the back. I disassembled the rear strut, cut the recommended amount from the stop and now it only bottoms out in extreme conditions.
This was my experience,also. Original rear strut's bump stops were not trimmed when springs were installed. Wore out OEM struts and bottomed out pretty bad. New struts and trimmed bump stops works great. Still pretty firm but I like it.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by 2k1seae

This was my experience,also. Original rear strut's bump stops were not trimmed when springs were installed. Wore out OEM struts and bottomed out pretty bad. New struts and trimmed bump stops works great. Still pretty firm but I like it.
So you like the ride with the Toks and Eibachs? I am going to this set up very soon. I was on Eibachs and stock SE struts and I would hit some bumps really hard. Changed to H&R with Toks and now want to go back to the Eibacs again and see how they ride with the Toks. Also What does trimming bump stops entail? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by bwalsh
So you like the ride with the Toks and Eibachs? I am going to this set up very soon. I was on Eibachs and stock SE struts and I would hit some bumps really hard. Changed to H&R with Toks and now want to go back to the Eibacs again and see how they ride with the Toks. Also What does trimming bump stops entail? Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
I didn't install them myself. My installer said that instructions recommend trimming bump stops (not sure what is involved). My understanding is that with a shorter spring, springs would would hit the stops on bumps. Trimming would let the spring and strut work together better. Also, the Tokico is a firmer strut. Anyway, the ride is much better with the Tokico blues, but it is still very firm (probably firmer than H&R's). I do like the way it looks, also.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:46 PM

Bump stops are just thick rubber or urathane doughnuts that can be cut easily.
This is the proceedure for the stock struts. The boot that protects the shock is attached to the bump stop. The bump stop itself is actually two stops and you have to trim one of them. Unfortunately the one you need to trim is between the boot and the upper bump stop. What this means is that the shock boot no longer has anything to attach to. I used a band saw, but a hack saw will work too because it is soft rubber. To allow the boot to still protect the shaft, I turned the cut boot upside down. If you see the factory boot, it is pretty obvious after you cut it.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:49 PM

H&R's with stock struts front KYB in rear

I recently put H&R's and kept stock struts on my car. I live in Freehold NJ. The car does sit a little low in the rear not much in comparision to the front. I have a family of 4 also. I use the car mostly for work but on weekends the family jumps in. The car started to bottom out with a load in the car. Also I have rsb which was hitting also. Solution; trimed u flange that held rsb and bought 4th gen rear only KYB AGX. Took a long ride to Cape May with full load plus luggage and the car did not bottom out at all. Car handles great but it has been modified; so that boat like floating feeling is gone. You feel more of the road but well worth it. I did this mod for handling reasons, not to lower the car. Car dropped somewhat but not like those floor riding civic dudes. Takes getting us to. If you want to check it out PM and you can test it out for yourself. I also had vb mod done. Not sure if this mod is for me. Hits hard in traffic, drops in nice when flooring it.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:08 PM

Re: Re: Need help. Eibach is to hard and to low.What is out there for me.

Originally posted by ripper
I have the Tokico/H&R set up on my 2k2 and I highly recommend it. The look and handling are tight and the ride is not much stiffer than my former 2k stock set-up.

Took the whole crew (family of 4) on a short road trip this past weekend (capitol beltway, 270N). Granted, those roads were in great shape but it was a smooth tight ride all around.

I've had the Tokico/Eibach set up on an '86 300ZX (RIP). The handling was PERFECT but the ride was a little too much on the stiff side. I would get back pain from any trip over a couple of hours.

Anyways, good luck.
did you trim your bumpstops or not?
Old 10-16-2002, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by seanote
Tokicos are in also.

RP Seanote.
ehh....i don't know about me but you have to be the FIRST person that said the eibachs are too low..