5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is there a way to adjust the power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 09:30 AM
Very sound, Mike

Is there a way to adjust the power steering?

I've been wondering if there's any way to apply less power-assist on the steering. Road feel is just not good enough when it comes to how there's too much "assistance" from the system.

Additionally, i notice my steering wheel is slightly "loose". Best way to describe it is when i'm on the highway i can tilt the wheel left/right slightly before i feel the connection to the wheel and/or the car actually starting to drift to either direction.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

There's no way to adjust your power steering assist. A more agressive tire, stiffer shock/struts and a perfect alignment will give you a more agressive feel to your car.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Very sound, Mike

How about the underdrive pulley? Wouldn't that help a bit?

About the steering wheel being loose, it feels more like the connection between the wheel and the shaft is loose or something.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:12 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Is there a way to adjust the power steering?

Originally posted by soundmike
I've been wondering if there's any way to apply less power-assist on the steering. Road feel is just not good enough when it comes to how there's too much "assistance" from the system.

Additionally, i notice my steering wheel is slightly "loose". Best way to describe it is when i'm on the highway i can tilt the wheel left/right slightly before i feel the connection to the wheel and/or the car actually starting to drift to either direction.

there was a discussion awhile ago on the 4th gen board

refer to this post
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...light=steering

but basicly we talked about putting in a valve in the power steering fluid system and instead of it being open all the way, open it 1/2 way or something.

There was also some discussion of maybe changing the pulley size on the pump

I have not given up on the idea, just have not had the time. I am still looking at it. If I come up with anything I'll let you know
Old 10-15-2002, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A loose steering wheel could also be an indication of a worn steering/suspension part(i.e tie rod end, ball joint, etc..). Have someone check your front end for looseness.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:51 PM

This has been my complaint since day one. My Max would be perfect(to me)if the power steering wasn't sooo over-boosted. I've posted this question numerous times, but apparently we're out of luck.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:33 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: Re: Is there a way to adjust the power steering?

Originally posted by MaximaDisciple

This has been my complaint since day one. My Max would be perfect(to me)if the power steering wasn't sooo over-boosted. I've posted this question numerous times, but apparently we're out of luck.
look at th the 2nd post above yours