5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bugs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 11:01 PM

I just bought my 2001 SE 2 weeks ago, and I have some concerns I'd like to mention. 1. It sometimes takes the car 2-3 seconds to turn over. 2. The gear box does not like to gear down (weather cold, not worn in yet). Im new with this car, so some of these issues may have come up before. Please let me know.

Old 12-24-2000, 05:24 AM

My 2K SE automatic turns over on the first try, within 1 second, EACH time.. (except this one time when I bought Shell gas)

My recommendation (probably the quickest fix), is to try a different brand of gas... it solved my problem...

Originally posted by Greek to the Max
I just bought my 2001 SE 2 weeks ago, and I have some concerns I'd like to mention. 1. It sometimes takes the car 2-3 seconds to turn over. 2. The gear box does not like to gear down (weather cold, not worn in yet). Im new with this car, so some of these issues may have come up before. Please let me know.

Old 12-24-2000, 06:16 AM

Turning Over

Greek to the Max,

Are you having trouble starting cold or after the car is fully warmed up and you attempt to restart your Maxima a short time later. My Maxima would always start cold but if you tried to restart after 10 minutes to 1 hour later it would crank a bit before starting. My Maxima now has 6,000 miles and I no longer notice this problem. If your having the same starting problem as I described your motor might need to break in a bit. When your engine is warm everything is expanded inside your motor. So all moving parts are tighter when hot then when your motor is cold. This would account for starting problems in a warm engine.
Old 12-24-2000, 06:33 AM

I noticed the same starting behavior at first. Partly I understand that the motor doesn't fire until no. 1 cylinder comes up, so that could take almost 2 complete revolutions. I don't notice it now - maybe it got better with break-in, maybe synthetic oil helped, maybe I'm just used to it.
Re - downshifts - the transmission definitely breaks in - there's a big difference in the first few thousand miles - but - my clutch was not adjusted properly. It seemed like they adjusted it without floormats, it wasn't going in far enough. I spent the time to get it right and shifting was a lot better. I also got synthetic gear oil in before really cold weather - that makes a lot of difference too, until the trans warms up - but you must break in before changing. (at 20F normal gear oil looks more like molasses - very hard to stir!)

Dave

Dave
Old 12-24-2000, 07:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use Redline MT-90 in your tranny . . .

Check out http://www.redlineoil.com/

I don't believe you have to break in a manual tranny before you change gear oil. I changed mine at about 2500 miles. So far, so good.
Old 12-24-2000, 10:42 AM

Re: Use Redline MT-90 in your tranny . . .

Originally posted by y2kse

I don't believe you have to break in a manual tranny before you change gear oil. I changed mine at about 2500 miles. So far, so good.
You guys are right, it only doesn't start properly when the car is warm. I'll let some time pass.
Old 12-24-2000, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: Use Redline MT-90 in your tranny . . .

Ooh.. there's something in the manual about restarting it warm...

I think they tell you to hold down the accelerator or something.. (don't hold me to it, just check it out in the manual, cuz i'm quite sure it's mentioned in there!!!)

-Tom

Originally posted by y2kse

You guys are right, it only doesn't start properly when the car is warm. I'll let some time pass.
Old 12-25-2000, 09:20 PM

gear box

i have a 2k gle and i have noticed as well the gear box does not gear down that well.. i dunno what the problem is, it maybe the cold wheather i do not know.. it was fine before thewinter hit so i am assuming cold wheather effects the gearbox.
Old 12-26-2000, 12:39 AM

Re: gear box

Originally posted by speedracer
i have a 2k gle and i have noticed as well the gear box does not gear down that well.. i dunno what the problem is, it maybe the cold wheather i do not know.. it was fine before thewinter hit so i am assuming cold wheather effects the gearbox.
For this much money on a car, you think they would of tested and corrected that.
Old 12-26-2000, 07:55 AM

WDAVE ---> my clutch was not adjusted properly. It seemed like they adjusted it without floormats, it wasn't going in far enough. I spent the time to get it right and shifting was a lot better.

U sure they adjusted the clutch? I think the clutch on the maxima is not adjustable. its hydrolic not cable, how did they adjust it?

As far as the tranny goes. Cold weather does a lot of things. Some mornings the stick is somewhat stiff while shifting gears. U can hear the swish in the tranny from the gear oil, so its not the cars fault, just the enviornment is rouch.
Old 12-26-2000, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PIONEER
[I]WDAVE ---> my clutch was not adjusted properly. It seemed like they adjusted it without floormats, it wasn't going in far enough. I spent the time to get it right and shifting was a lot better.

U sure they adjusted the clutch? I think the clutch on the maxima is not adjustable. its hydrolic not cable, how did they adjust it?

The clutch is very adjustable. The upper and lower stops plus the length of the piston rod are all adjusted at the pedal. It's a little harder than the old days where you could adjust at the slave cylinder, though, so mechanics like to perpetuate the myth that hydraulics are not adjustable - just sell a whole clutch job. On the other hand, it is in the service manual.

Dave