5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

my tranny!..NO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 10:47 AM

my tranny!..NO!!!!

well guys,

i keep reading how everyone is having problems with their tranny.....i have about 24,000 miles on my car....should i begin to worry about it blowing?...any tips to prevent this from happening?...im worried

albert
Old 10-20-2002, 10:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well man - I've got a 6spd w/ 10k, and Nissan is giving me a new one as they can't identify a noise that it's producing on decelleration in 1st - even w/ the clutch in...

I'd say not to worry, but rather, pay attention to noises, change in shift smoothness etc...
Old 10-20-2002, 01:18 PM

Rob do u have an auto or a manual?

Fred...
Old 10-20-2002, 01:46 PM

I have 7200 miles on my 2k2 6 speed and it's at the dealership getting a new tranny and clutch in . Can't wait until I get it back. LIke they said, just listen for any weird noises and such...
Old 10-20-2002, 02:20 PM

well..i got an...

Originally posted by palmerwmd
Rob do u have an auto or a manual?

Fred...
auto
Old 10-20-2002, 02:35 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by 2k2-blk-6spd
I have 7200 miles on my 2k2 6 speed and it's at the dealership getting a new tranny and clutch in . Can't wait until I get it back. LIke they said, just listen for any weird noises and such...
are they paying for your rental car? I'm having similar noises on deceleration in 1st gear
Old 10-20-2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by MaxSE2k
Well man - I've got a 6spd w/ 10k, and Nissan is giving me a new one as they can't identify a noise that it's producing on decelleration in 1st - even w/ the clutch in...

I'd say not to worry, but rather, pay attention to noises, change in shift smoothness etc...
What kind of noises are you talking about? When decelerating in 1st, my car has always made a whining noise. Is this normal? I haven't paid enough attention to see if it makes the same noise even with the clutch depressed.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:42 PM

guys!

if my tranny goes after 30,000 miles..what should i do?
Old 10-20-2002, 04:24 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: guys!

Originally posted by rob van dam
Take it to the dealer and have them replace it. We do have a 3yr 36K mile warranty and I think 4yr 50K on drivetrain.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: guys!

Originally posted by rob van dam
Why are you so worried about it going at 30K? Are you driving it hard all the time like you stole it I drive hard like a *****, I'm auto on 33K. So far no problems (knock on wood)..
Old 10-20-2002, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by burgerking

What kind of noises are you talking about? When decelerating in 1st, my car has always made a whining noise. Is this normal? I haven't paid enough attention to see if it makes the same noise even with the clutch depressed.
turn off your radio, listen as your coming to a stop, and as your putting it into 1st (even before in 1st actually), if it starts to make a whining noise (and only in 1st, not in any other gear), you'll be experiencing the same problem that I am, and the dealer, if a good one, will get you a new tranny, maybe even a 2k3, which doesn't feel as clunky.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:06 PM
ABS

turn off your radio, listen as your coming to a stop, and as your putting it into 1st (even before in 1st actually), if it starts to make a whining noise (and only in 1st, not in any other gear), you'll be experiencing the same problem that I am, and the dealer, if a good one, will get you a new tranny, maybe even a 2k3, which doesn't feel as clunky.
I never really noticed my tranny whining, but the dealer replaced my clutch and since then it's sound like it's whining as I decelerate in low gears. Like if I'm slowing down in first or second, I hear transmission whine. Come to think of it, I believe that I'm hearing it in all gears as I decelerate . . . Is this sound normal. I honestly can't recall if it's always been there, but I think I would have noticed it had it been there and since I never noticed it before, I'm guessing the sound is new . . .
Old 10-20-2002, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: guys!

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Why are you so worried about it going at 30K? Are you driving it hard all the time like you stole it I drive hard like a *****, I'm auto on 33K. So far no problems (knock on wood)..
thanks..that makes me feel better..
Old 10-20-2002, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by maximadave

are they paying for your rental car? I'm having similar noises on deceleration in 1st gear
Yup, they are paying for my rental (Ford Focus, by FAR the slowest car I've ever driven). Taking it to the dealer is the best choice, see what they say but they should have to put you in a rental or a loaner because it's warranty work
Old 10-20-2002, 10:13 PM
ABS

Yup, they are paying for my rental (Ford Focus, by FAR the slowest car I've ever driven). Taking it to the dealer is the best choice, see what they say but they should have to put you in a rental or a loaner because it's warranty work
Was/is your problem similar to what I described a couple of posts up? Could you give a really detailed description of the sounds, when they occurred and what impact it had to the car . . . Thanks.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:42 AM

Ok my problems were these:

1. A "howling" noise when releasing the clutch slowly (like in heavy traffic) in 1st 2nd and 4rd gears, couldn't tell in 4th, 5th, 6th...

2. Try cruising at like 50mph in 6th then downshifting to third, mine would ALWAYS grind third even with my foot planted solid on the floor with the clutch engaged as much as possible...ALWAYS grinded 3rd.

3. Sometimes my car would vibrate lots going into 2nd gear.

I was actually just expecting them (the dealer) to replace my clutch disc plate and say I was an idiot and didn't know how to drive a manual transmission car (which he did say btw...until he took a ride with me) but I never expected to get a whole new tranny. Hope this helps.

P.S. Did I mention it would ALWAYS grind 3rd when downshifting from 6th? ALWAYS.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:50 AM

1. A "howling" noise when releasing the clutch slowly (like in heavy traffic) in 1st 2nd and 4rd gears, couldn't tell in 4th, 5th, 6th...

2. Try cruising at like 50mph in 6th then downshifting to third, mine would ALWAYS grind third even with my foot planted solid on the floor with the clutch engaged as much as possible...ALWAYS grinded 3rd.

I was actually just expecting them (the dealer) to replace my clutch disc plate and say I was an idiot and didn't know how to drive a manual transmission car (which he did say btw...until he took a ride with me) but I never expected to get a whole new tranny. Hope this helps.

P.S. Did I mention it would ALWAYS grind 3rd when downshifting from 6th? ALWAYS.
Why 6th to 3rd all the time? Beating on your car eh? j/k
Old 10-21-2002, 08:54 AM

That's just the thing I don't know why only 6th to 3rd. Also, if you wanna really freak out, here's what I'd do when I was bored.

At a stop light, try putting your car into first without the clutch (it won't grind, it'll just start slowly rolling forward). Try this in ANY gear and check if it grinds, mine would...in 3rd only! Imagine that, I try 6 different gears and only 3rd grinds...hmmmm

Either way, I'm getting me a new tranny in as we speak and I should have my baby on Wednesday
Old 10-21-2002, 09:13 AM

i've got 42K and my tranny still feels great.

let's hope it stays that way
Old 10-21-2002, 12:36 PM

That's just the thing I don't know why only 6th to 3rd. Also, if you wanna really freak out, here's what I'd do when I was bored.

At a stop light, try putting your car into first without the clutch (it won't grind, it'll just start slowly rolling forward). Try this in ANY gear and check if it grinds, mine would...in 3rd only! Imagine that, I try 6 different gears and only 3rd grinds...hmmmm

Either way, I'm getting me a new tranny in as we speak and I should have my baby on Wednesday
WOW! man i am ur twin. i have had numerous tranny problems with the 6 speed. my 1st incondent is the EXACT situation that u had with 6th to 3rd downshift grinding. i had 2800 miles on my car and they said that i broke it. blah blah blah they fixed it. now the new tranny i have is much better but for some reason my clutch loves to do stupid stuff. when i depress my clutch pedal to the floor i get a GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR like a rusty spring being compressed EVERYTIME i depress the clutch i get that noise. i am tired of this terrible stock clutch someone needs to hurry up and make an aftermarket clutch for the 6 speeds. sorry to hear that u had to go through the same **** that i had to go through, it isnt fun. hope everything works out for u.

will
Old 10-21-2002, 02:24 PM
PoweredbyNissan

All of you who got the dealer to put in new clutch and or transimissions, did you have mods on ur car? If so, did the dealer give you crap about the mods voiding ur warranty?

Old 10-21-2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by PoweredbyNissan
All of you who got the dealer to put in new clutch and or transimissions, did you have mods on ur car? If so, did the dealer give you crap about the mods voiding ur warranty?
everything in my sig minus the b-pipe was on the car. they tried to say that was the cause but we threatened with legal action. they didnt notice the springs/struts or the muffler either. if they want to be mean than yes they can try to give u problems, but remember that they have to prove that the mod that u added caused the problem.
i accually asked the service manager where my warrenty stood b/c i have the 100k mile warrenty and if they said that it was cancelled i would get the 1k bucks we spent on the extended warrenty bc it hasnt become effective yet. the service manager spoke with the south eastern service guy or whatever and asked him what the warrenty situation is on my car and the guy said everything except for my clutch is 100% covered. i was pleased and decided to keep the 100k warrenty. my situation isnt the normal situation i have had NUMEROUS warrenty claims that were legit and am still having trouble with a few things. oh well!

will
Old 10-21-2002, 06:51 PM

I am an auto

and my tranny had it's last breath at 42000 miles. Yes I drive it hard, and it was slipping for about 5k miles before it went. It got alot worse once the intake and y pipe went on.

As long as it goes before 60k miles, your okay... they'll replace it for free and give you a ford focus to drive!

I wish i had gotten a 5spd..

-Jason
Old 10-21-2002, 09:45 PM

On my third tranny now!!
Old 10-21-2002, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE

WOW! man i am ur twin. i have had numerous tranny problems with the 6 speed. my 1st incondent is the EXACT situation that u had with 6th to 3rd downshift grinding. i had 2800 miles on my car and they said that i broke it. blah blah blah they fixed it. now the new tranny i have is much better but for some reason my clutch loves to do stupid stuff. when i depress my clutch pedal to the floor i get a GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR like a rusty spring being compressed EVERYTIME i depress the clutch i get that noise. i am tired of this terrible stock clutch someone needs to hurry up and make an aftermarket clutch for the 6 speeds. sorry to hear that u had to go through the same **** that i had to go through, it isnt fun. hope everything works out for u.

will

Well I'm sad to report but it looksl ike I am your twin too.. Now with 18K miles my tranny makes a awful grinding noise when I shift to 3rd.. The noise happens when I go to 3rd at 50+ MPH from any gear other then 2nd. Looks like I am going to have to get this fixed because it's starting to really bother me. Unfortunatly my nissan dealer does not have any rental cars so it looks like it's gonna come outta my pocket. Well the plus about all this is I am going to try to get a HLSD as a replacement, muahhaha, wish me luck. Ohh and Will or others.. how long did it take to get your tranny fixed?
Old 10-21-2002, 10:09 PM
ABS

Originally posted by WILLSE

everything in my sig minus the b-pipe was on the car. they tried to say that was the cause but we threatened with legal action. they didnt notice the springs/struts or the muffler either. if they want to be mean than yes they can try to give u problems, but remember that they have to prove that the mod that u added caused the problem.
i accually asked the service manager where my warrenty stood b/c i have the 100k mile warrenty and if they said that it was cancelled i would get the 1k bucks we spent on the extended warrenty bc it hasnt become effective yet. the service manager spoke with the south eastern service guy or whatever and asked him what the warrenty situation is on my car and the guy said everything except for my clutch is 100% covered. i was pleased and decided to keep the 100k warrenty. my situation isnt the normal situation i have had NUMEROUS warrenty claims that were legit and am still having trouble with a few things. oh well!

will
Get that in writing.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:11 PM
ABS

Thanks for the detailed description. This is different than what I have been experiencing. I don't grind in 3rd. Actually your grinding could have been caused by a problem with the stick, or the cables from the stick, or the clutch itself not fully disengaging . . . I hope the new tranny/clutch setup works for you.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by emax95

Well I'm sad to report but it looksl ike I am your twin too.. Now with 18K miles my tranny makes a awful grinding noise when I shift to 3rd.. The noise happens when I go to 3rd at 50+ MPH from any gear other then 2nd. Looks like I am going to have to get this fixed because it's starting to really bother me. Unfortunatly my nissan dealer does not have any rental cars so it looks like it's gonna come outta my pocket. Well the plus about all this is I am going to try to get a HLSD as a replacement, muahhaha, wish me luck. Ohh and Will or others.. how long did it take to get your tranny fixed?
2 weeks with extenuating circumstances. long time i know! let me know what the HLSD swap requires please! thanks and good luck!

will
Old 10-22-2002, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by emax95

Well the plus about all this is I am going to try to get a HLSD as a replacement, muahhaha, wish me luck.
My dealer told me that they'd try to get me a HLSD tranny - did you have to pay extra? How much?
Old 10-22-2002, 06:37 AM

My dealer told me that they'd try to get me a HLSD tranny - did you have to pay extra? How much?
make sure that we dont have to replace the axels or some other parts along with the differential. i have asked before and the parts guy couldnt find a part number that went with the HLSD differential. if u guys can find out some more information that would be useful please post what you find.

will
Old 10-22-2002, 12:11 PM

At least I'm not the only one with the problem. My car went in on Wednesday and supposedly it'll be out Wednesday (1 exact week). I'll believe it when I see it rolling outta the garage and into my waiting hands and feet. Hope y'all get this taken care of quickly and without problems like I did. Just be polite but forceful. Make your point but don't get angry, it'll just make them happier to service you wrong. Goodluck everyone.