5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan Recall 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 06:04 PM

Nissan Recall 6 Speed

NISSAN should recall and replace this transmission.(((6 SPEED))) It shifts horribly. I own a 91 Sentra SE-R and it shifts 100 times better than my 2k2. I tried Redline MT-90, didnt help much. When its cold(EVEN WARM) it feels like i'm grinding metal. This sucks.

The other day I was accelerating briskly and when I tried upshifting from 2nd to 3rd it went into 5th. WTF!!

Finally - the throws are long and the take up from the long clutch pedal is ridiculous.

Yeah, flame me, accept it or ignore it, but I will not buy another Nissan Maxima(this one is my third).
Probably BMW 330i or Mitsubishi Evolution VIII NEXT TIME AROUND.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:24 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Nissan Recall 6 Speed

you missed third and went to fifth? Sounds like it's the driver, not the transmission, that sucks (you said flame on...

Mine shifts fine... maybe you need more practice.

Originally posted by ABQMAX
NISSAN should recall and replace this transmission.(((6 SPEED))) It shifts horribly. I own a 91 Sentra SE-R and it shifts 100 times better than my 2k2. I tried Redline MT-90, didnt help much. When its cold(EVEN WARM) it feels like i'm grinding metal. This sucks.

The other day I was accelerating briskly and when I tried upshifting from 2nd to 3rd it went into 5th. WTF!!

Finally - the throws are long and the take up from the long clutch pedal is ridiculous.

Yeah, flame me, accept it or ignore it, but I will not buy another Nissan Maxima(this one is my third).
Old 10-20-2002, 06:30 PM

lol u should try my SpecV Shifts like crap compared to my bro's 2k2 Maxima. Hell, just getting in and trying to put it in reverse has probs
Old 10-20-2002, 06:37 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Nissan Recall 6 Speed

Originally posted by ABQMAX

Im not going to flame you but I have to speak in it's defense. The 6 speed tranny is just a different breed and takes alot of getting used to. There probably doesn't need to be a recall on the way it shifts, it was designed to have a firm notchy feel instead of the old rubbery feel that you're used to. Do Volkswagon drivers complaion alot about their clunky feeling of their trannies? Do Ferrari owners complain about the gated notchy feeling of theirs?

Although the 6 speed isn't without it's flaws, overall I would say it works very well. It isn't very forgiving so you have to be very precise with what you do. The clutch is an issue that can be adjusted and I personally don't think it's any worse than the Sentra. But maybe thats because I haven't driven one of those in a few years. You may have made matters worse by using the Redline oil. Synthetic oils make it much harder for the syncronizers to work properly. If you take the car in for service and tell them your problems and what oil you used they may even use that as an excuse.

A question I have is why did you buy the car if it shifts so bad? If you think it shifts bad today then you certainly thought it shifted bad on the day you test drove it.

Anywyas, im sorry you're that unhappy with the car. I hope they can find a way to accommodate you.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:05 PM

I think the clutch engagement sucks heinie... about it.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:09 PM
BugNout

Ya the 6spd shifter sucks. The 5spd on the altima isn't any better. Nothing like the short shifter on my 2k1.

Old 10-20-2002, 07:25 PM

SHUT UP!! ALL OF YOU!!

i don't have a 6-speed
Old 10-20-2002, 07:28 PM
swallac2

Recalled? It's not the best in the world, but in 10 months I have never missed a shift. Go over to LS1.com and ask them about missed shifts. A lot of F-Body guys pull from 3rd going for 4th and hit 2nd. Kaaa-Boom, bent rods. I was talking to an Acura sales person at Ticsher Nissan/Acura and he said they had 6 RSX 6 speeds with blown motors because of missed shifts. He said they have people signing wavers at the time of the sales. I haven't heard anything on this board about people blowing motors because of missed shifts.

I don't know how many miles you have on it, but mine got a lot better after 5k miles. I had problems with it letting me into the gear at first, but it cleared up with use, and use it I did.

Old 10-20-2002, 08:31 PM
2K2 BLACK 6 SPD

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
SHUT UP!! ALL OF YOU!!

i don't have a 6-speed

Old 10-20-2002, 08:43 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Maybe soon someone will come out with a short throw shifter that will make things easier for us. Yes, the 6-speed tranny isn't the best but it takes getting used to. I have no problems shifting and I'm still using the oem tranny fluid.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:52 PM
ABS

Originally posted by maximadave
Maybe soon someone will come out with a short throw shifter that will make things easier for us. Yes, the 6-speed tranny isn't the best but it takes getting used to. I have no problems shifting and I'm still using the oem tranny fluid.
Dave, my advice is to keep the OEM tranny fluid as long as you can. It felt great in my tranny before the new clutch was installed. The dealer then installed an 80w-90 GL-5 which was horrible, I could feel the syncros grinding. Now I've got Amsoil 75-90, but it still doesn't feel as good as the OEM did . . .
Old 10-20-2002, 08:55 PM

Damn dude....You had me worried there for a sec writing a post with " Nissan Recall 6 speed" i was like WTF?!, please remember to put a *should* in your sentence next time...

As my opinion on this, the shift is definitly too LONG. I don't know if its just me.....I had a hard time getting use to shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It feel wierd to me.

2nd ~ 3rd feel a little better, and after that is very smooth gearing, no complaints there.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:58 PM
ABS

I'd like to get some feedback. How many people with 6 speeds are hearing whining, of any type, from their tranny? I for one am hearing whining in 1st and 2nd when slowing down like after a downshift. Reminiscent of they way my '95 Civic sounded . . . I'm trying to figure out if this is normal behavior or not . . . I suspect the sound is new, but I'm not too sure.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:07 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally posted by ABS

Dave, my advice is to keep the OEM tranny fluid as long as you can. It felt great in my tranny before the new clutch was installed. The dealer then installed an 80w-90 GL-5 which was horrible, I could feel the syncros grinding. Now I've got Amsoil 75-90, but it still doesn't feel as good as the OEM did . . .
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just want to jump in and say, WTF..

I know my tranny is a new breed (nothing like cable shifting ya know)..

However, in terms of drivablity its horrible, my old 96 protege with broken synchros and linkages shifted 10 x better..

AMSOIL is not helping, and considering the temp is getting colder i am noticing serious grinding happening..

took it in tot he dealership and they say its FINE!! *******>.

ED
Old 10-20-2002, 09:19 PM
ABS

Originally posted by MiniRX7
Just want to jump in and say, WTF..

I know my tranny is a new breed (nothing like cable shifting ya know)..

However, in terms of drivablity its horrible, my old 96 protege with broken synchros and linkages shifted 10 x better..

AMSOIL is not helping, and considering the temp is getting colder i am noticing serious grinding happening..

took it in tot he dealership and they say its FINE!! *******>.

ED
I think we need to find a quality GL-4 dino 75-90 oil.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:32 PM

Re: Re: Nissan Recall 6 Speed

Originally posted by SR20DEN

You may have made matters worse by using the Redline oil. Synthetic oils make it much harder for the syncronizers to work properly. If you take the car in for service and tell them your problems and what oil you used they may even use that as an excuse.
Can you explain why redline oil made matters worse, I thought I'd help?

Does this hole true for a 2K/2K1 (autos or 5 spd) or just for 6 spds?

thanks
woosh
Old 10-21-2002, 12:38 AM

All theses threads get me worrying. But this is my first manual so it was probably better for me to learn on this car with the many awkwards of it. For a while my shifts were terrible. Getting caught on the gates. But some more refined shifting techniques and knowing were the shifter travels has helped out 100 times.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:35 AM

i love this 6 speed. I learned on a 96 accord 5speed. The max's trans is very jerky unless you are smooth and match the speeds of everything right. It takes a lot of practice but most of the time its very smooth for me. The stick just falls into place with minimal effort. Just taaaaap in it. lol.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:57 AM

8700 miles on my 2k2 6spd, and things have improved considerably. It wasn't particularly horrible to begin with, just a bit notchy, but I think it is very smooth now. Even high-RPM shifts don't cause any trouble.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Nissan Recall 6 Speed

Originally posted by woosh

Can you explain why redline oil made matters worse, I thought I'd help?

Does this hole true for a 2K/2K1 (autos or 5 spd) or just for 6 spds?

thanks
woosh
I put Redline in cuz everyone with a 2k/2k1 swears by it, but now I regret it. The Redline didn't agree with my tranny too well, and it shifts like crap now. I'm going back to OEM soon, that was silky smooth. My friend with a WRX was jealous of the smooth shifting of the Max, but if he drove it now, he wouldn't be impressed.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:08 PM

DOes anyone have a tech manual

Is there any rubber bushings b/w shifter rod/throwout????
Also, didnt someone adjust the clutch pedal distance by putting a block under the pedal?? Is this advisable???

I think there may be a weak link in the design and I am hoping we can shed some light on this issue.

Ive only had the 2k2 6 spd for 3 weeks - so maybe I will give it more time.

I STILL LOVE IT MUCH MUCH MORE THAN MY PREVIOUS 2K AUTOMATIC
Old 10-21-2002, 01:09 PM

I was thinking about changing the oil to REDLINE MT-90, but since you guys are suggesting OEM spec oil is better....It really got me worried....Should I stay with OEM oil or give it a shot with MT-90??
Old 10-21-2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by nismotech
I was thinking about changing the oil to REDLINE MT-90, but since you guys are suggesting OEM spec oil is better....It really got me worried....Should I stay with OEM oil or give it a shot with MT-90??
I was just browsing the tech manual, one of the trouble shooting tips says to make sure the tranny fluid isn't overfilled. I'm not sure how this could happen since it would just pour out of the fill hole (the optimal level is level with the fill hole, which is horizontal, so any extra should pour out). I will be checking my tranny level soon, and if it is ok, I'll be going back to OEM. We'll see if it goes back to being smooth. The only reason I switched was cuz I had trouble going into first when it was really cold out, and heard the redline would help that. Now I have trouble going into first almost every day.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:20 PM

MT-90 synthetic feels ten times better and smoother than stock, but I've got a 2K1.....
Old 10-21-2002, 10:18 PM
ABS

I had my clutch replaced by the dealer and they put in a GL-5 80-90. I was grinding the synchros in every gear. I was really annoyed at this. The Nissan spec is for a GL-4 fluid. This is important since GL-5 can damage "soft metals" like the metals used to make the synchros. Also the weight is important 75-90 is required. I installed Amsoil but like it a lot less than the OEM fluid, but it is much better than the stuff the dealer installed after the clutch job.

Whatever you do, make sure you install GL-4. I can't speak to the Redline since I haven't tried it. Nissan consumer affairs states GL-5 is ok, but I think they don't really know. Research shows that the two products are distinctly different. Mobil tells us to absolutely NOT use 75-90 gear oil in a GL-4 spec tranny . . . .
Old 10-22-2002, 04:48 AM

I know have 10,500 on my 6spd... I changed the factory fluid at 1000 to Mobil 1 synthetic. My tranny was a bit notchy in the beginning, but now at 10k it has gotten alot better. It seems to get smoother and smoother every day.. I have no problems with it..
Old 10-22-2002, 06:17 AM

Just when i.......

...thought it was safe to replace the OEM Tranny fluid with AMSOIL, THIS thread comes along.

Where were you guys BEFORE I bought this stuff????

Good thing I haven't put it in yet - I'll have to wait a few months now to see if things get smoother.

As for knockin' the 6spd.....yeah, no **** it's not a BMW -- why do think it was 20k cheaper??!!!

I've driven MANY worse transmissions than this one, including an Audi S4 -- now THOSE SUCK! Talk about rubbery, no feel, worthless, I got ripped-off for $45K shifter.....

WE HAVE NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!!

THis thing IS a little awkward - now get over it and enjoy your car!

g.r.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:30 PM

Maxs MT isn't as precise as a BMWs, or as intuitive as the RSX type-s (very nice shift action), but I like the notchy feel. It lets you know that it is there. My only complaint is that on occasion I get some gear clash on downshifts to 3rd gear. I wouldn't even attempt a 6/5th to 3rd gear downshift without double clutching for fear of grinding my 3rd gear into the ground. My previous car was an E46 BMW 323i and I never noticed this problem. Dollar for dollar I am very impressed with the max, but I do miss the BMW's rear wheel drive set-up and its steering feel. Off topic, does anyone know of a reputable nissan tuner shop in the chicago area?
Thanks,
Getz
Old 10-22-2002, 02:34 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Just when i.......

Originally posted by ghostrider17
...thought it was safe to replace the OEM Tranny fluid with AMSOIL, THIS thread comes along.

Where were you guys BEFORE I bought this stuff????

Good thing I haven't put it in yet - I'll have to wait a few months now to see if things get smoother.

As for knockin' the 6spd.....yeah, no **** it's not a BMW -- why do think it was 20k cheaper??!!!

I've driven MANY worse transmissions than this one, including an Audi S4 -- now THOSE SUCK! Talk about rubbery, no feel, worthless, I got ripped-off for $45K shifter.....

WE HAVE NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!!

THis thing IS a little awkward - now get over it and enjoy your car!

g.r.
I have well over a dozen posts on various forums on this subject. Since no one ever listened to me in the first place i just stopped trying to explain it. Although I can't really comment on Amsoil because I may consider giving that stuff a chance. My neighbor who worked at BMW for two years agrees with me. He's seen and heard of several instances of the same thing with synthetic gear oils, mainly in Mustangs though.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:44 PM

Honestly, i don't realloy care about nothcy shifting.. Its just that the grinding and gear clashing should not be in a car of this nature..

Honestly in the price range of a maxima, do you ever hear of such crappy shiffting.. I look like a loser when i drive and get small grinds.. At first i thought it was because i didn't push the clutch in all the way but man i push the fukking clutch so deep i got imprints behind ont eh carpet..

I think i am oging to dump the Amsoil for some good ole redline MT90..

It worked wonderes for my messed up protege.. i wanna know what it does for my Maxicrap WHOOPS.. i mean maxima..

ED
Old 10-22-2002, 10:21 PM
ABS

Originally posted by MiniRX7
Honestly, i don't realloy care about nothcy shifting.. Its just that the grinding and gear clashing should not be in a car of this nature..

Honestly in the price range of a maxima, do you ever hear of such crappy shiffting.. I look like a loser when i drive and get small grinds.. At first i thought it was because i didn't push the clutch in all the way but man i push the fukking clutch so deep i got imprints behind ont eh carpet..

I think i am oging to dump the Amsoil for some good ole redline MT90..

It worked wonderes for my messed up protege.. i wanna know what it does for my Maxicrap WHOOPS.. i mean maxima..

ED
I've read some good reviews of the Redline MT fluid. I think they have a 75-90 weight product that should be ok. If you do this, let me know how it is. I think one .org member switched from the Redline to Amsoil and liked the Amsoil better, but I may have it backwards. You should be able to find that post if you search . . .
Old 10-23-2002, 02:29 AM
I miss the .org!

But he's right in saying the shifts aren't smooth. 1st gear sucks, I think I need to have that fuel cut-off TSB performed... And somebody definitely needs to make a short shifter, just to make this thing have a normal throw!